• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New addition to the family

SpellKaster4

Hey everyone!

So, had an interesting thing happen last night at work. I work at a pet store so I get to interact with pet owners of all kinds all the time. Well, this mom came in to get crickets and started asking if anyone wanted a tarantula or knew if someone did. I got pulled into the conversation and, well, now I have a new friend lol. From what I gathered the T was her daughter's. Supposedly it "lunged" at the daughter and that was the end of having a tarantula. I could tell it was the mom freaking and not the daughter cause she was really broken up about having to get rid of her pet. ANYWAY! No one cares about that part lol. So, I now have a rose hair. They didn't tell (probably didn't know) the species but my guess Grammostola rosea. That's a slightly educated guess, like, ten minutes of google searching educated. They said it was about four years old so probably full grown? They gave me the ten gallon aquarium it was in, hide, water dish, and bag of eco-earth so that's cool. I tried to get it set up as best I could but I still need to learn a bit more about these guys to make sure. They had it set up on aspen bedding, like you'd use for a snake. I'm not an expert but I've never seen that recommended for a T.
I hadn't planned on getting another T other than my LP so I haven't really researched the care of other species all that much yet. I know a lot of rules apply to all but still. Anyway, I'm rambling. Here are a few pictures I took. At some point I want to set up something a bit fancier but this basic home should do for now. If there are any Rosy fans out there that have any species specific tips lay them on me!

P.S. This is the most chill T. If it did threaten anyone it must have been in a really foul mood cause I had to poke it with a brush forever to get it into a catch cup so I could clean it's enclosure. It really did not care lol.
20190410_014541.jpg
20190411_013151.jpg
20190411_013236.jpg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
1. Looks more like a G. porteri
2. 10 gallon seems a bit large for a species that doesn't get that big, plus they barely move.
3. Could use a lot more substrate.
4. Definitely do bot use aspen bedding or any wood shavings/bark.
5. Deep, completely dry substrate is a must, as this species seems to hate wet substrate like other dry loving species
6. For any moisture, a full water dish will be perfect.
7. G. porteri are infamous for their mood swings and fasting. Seriously, one minute you have a perfect pet rock, and the next minute the pet rock turns defensive.

SpellKaster4

1. Looks more like a G. porteri
2. 10 gallon seems a bit large for a species that doesn't get that big, plus they barely move.
3. Could use a lot more substrate.
4. Definitely do bot use aspen bedding or any wood shavings/bark.
5. Deep, completely dry substrate is a must, as this species seems to hate wet substrate like other dry loving species
6. For any moisture, a full water dish will be perfect.
7. G. porteri are infamous for their mood swings and fasting. Seriously, one minute you have a perfect pet rock, and the next minute the pet rock turns defensive.
Thanks for the id! Like I said, I'm no where near an expert lol. The only species I've really done any true research into was LPs since that was the only one I was planning on getting. What about it makes it look more like a G. porteri as opposed to a G. Rosea? I dunno why they had it in a ten gallon but a free tank is a free tank. I still have a fair amount of substrate left so I'll redo the little guy/gal's enclosure with it and make it deeper, I take it they're opportunistic burrowers? I'm glad you said no to the wood. I'm pretty sure I've read that literally everywhere and I've recommended people not do that when asked so having someone else verify is awesome. If I'm not mistaken isn't it possible for wood bedding like aspen to be toxic or is it just not ideal? Thanks for the mood tip too. Again, I'm ignorant on these guys still so I got some learning to do. I hadn't planned on having several T's so now I'll have to get used to all the different personalities lol.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Setup looks fine for a rosea/porteri. Good looking, healthy specimen too. Fun fact: The rosea can kill a mouse with its venom faster than an H maculata. Yet the rosea's venom is mildly painful to humans, and the H mac's venom is supposed to be excrutiating. That's always been fascinating to me, for some reason.

SpellKaster4

Setup looks fine for a rosea/porteri. Good looking, healthy specimen too. Fun fact: The rosea can kill a mouse with its venom faster than an H maculata. Yet the rosea's venom is mildly painful to humans, and the H mac's venom is supposed to be excrutiating. That's always been fascinating to me, for some reason.
That's really interesting. I wonder why it works like that. To be perfectly honest, I was surprised it looks as good as it does. The enclosure was, frankly, gross when I got it.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's really interesting. I wonder why it works like that. To be perfectly honest, I was surprised it looks as good as it does. The enclosure was, frankly, gross when I got it.
They're one of the hardiest species available. Any dry species is like that really. They're just superior at adaptation and survival I guess. I'm still looking for another female porteri atm, I miss mine.

SpellKaster4

They're one of the hardiest species available. Any dry species is like that really. They're just superior at adaptation and survival I guess. I'm still looking for another female porteri atm, I miss mine.
I was under the impression that the grammostola species were fairly easy to find. Are females just hard to get cause everyone wants one?

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Great new score my friend. looks like a Porteri. However cage size doesn’t matter, it’s up to you only. I’d add more substrate though. A lot of bad info in the hobby about enclosure sizes. Enclosure size is only for slings and juveniles that you want to make sure are eating and are being able to find their food. An adult tarantula can hunt on their own. Size of the enclosure doesn’t come into play anymore. Do you think wild tarantulas starve because their world is larger then a shoe box??? That’s all Arachnoboard bull**** right there.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was under the impression that the grammostola species were fairly easy to find. Are females just hard to get cause everyone wants one?
No, its just that theres so many petcos, petsmarts, and mom and pop stores to check, to find a big healthy female. Some porteri/rosea get quite large and thick legged, thats what I'm looking for, for 25 bucks ;) My last girl was very bulky and thick, and perfectly grey. she was gorgeous. Got her at petco in Corpus Christi.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the id! Like I said, I'm no where near an expert lol. The only species I've really done any true research into was LPs since that was the only one I was planning on getting. What about it makes it look more like a G. porteri as opposed to a G. Rosea? I dunno why they had it in a ten gallon but a free tank is a free tank. I still have a fair amount of substrate left so I'll redo the little guy/gal's enclosure with it and make it deeper, I take it they're opportunistic burrowers? I'm glad you said no to the wood. I'm pretty sure I've read that literally everywhere and I've recommended people not do that when asked so having someone else verify is awesome. If I'm not mistaken isn't it possible for wood bedding like aspen to be toxic or is it just not ideal? Thanks for the mood tip too. Again, I'm ignorant on these guys still so I got some learning to do. I hadn't planned on having several T's so now I'll have to get used to all the different personalities lol.
I don't think there was any other contribution to why porterii rather than rosea. The difference is subtle but essentially the porterii appear to be more slightly greyer in hair colour and will also usually have a rose metallic coloured carapace (like yours). The rosea tend to have more red coloured hairs and a red/brown carapace. Although both species do go through those range of colours as they mature and moult and so it's only at adult stage you really notice. Not the best of pics but here is side by side of porterii (LHS) and rosea (RHS). Like I say. not the best pic and the differences are subtle!!!! LOL.
Whatever you have, it is gorgeous. Congrats.
20180916_195808.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
my instinct says porterii but I have a feeling I am about to get schooled!!!!
Well....I purchased him as a rosea. I'm not too familiar with this species so I never bred him. Hes currently 10 years old and has been mature for almost 5 years. Hes got both species features so he may be a mutt???

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well....I purchased him as a rosea. I'm not too familiar with this species so I never bred him. Hes currently 10 years old and has been mature for almost 5 years. Hes got both species features so he may be a mutt???
I'm no expert on these, but I've got a lot of experience with male and female porteri and rosea. That looks like a male of neither. Both porteri and rosea males have the prettiest pink carapaces of the species. It does have a very Grammastola look though, for whatever THAT is worth..interesting spider.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm no expert on these, but I've got a lot of experience with male and female porteri and rosea. That looks like a male of neither. Both porteri and rosea males have the prettiest pink carapaces of the species. It does have a very Grammastola look though, for whatever THAT is worth..interesting spider.
Hes probably the result of a inexperienced breeder...dam hybrid!!!!:mad::mad::mad::D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hes probably the result of a inexperienced breeder...dam hybrid!!!!:mad::mad::mad::D
Don't take my word for it brother, it may just be my own limited samples provided to my area of dealers. Trust nothing without proof from the big spider brains in the field. That spiders carapace approches B cobacla coloration though..never seen that on any rosea/porteri..

Latest posts