• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Tartar (B. smithi) 's Journal

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@0515H this morning, woke up early to try leave food outside the hide of Tartar. As I approached, the T seemingly materialized outside the hide, just in front of the barricade it erected from previous post. So I went and opened the lid, and the T disappeared again!

I was astonished so I inspected the hide with the red light and there is a small gap in the entrance. Therefore, the T did not erect a wall as I thought but made the entrance smaller. Its legs' tips are somewhat visible.

Then, I placed a mangled sand roach 3inches in front of the hide and planned to make a feeding video. Amazingly, the couple of seconds it took to get my phone, the T has dashed and took the roach back into the hide! I confirmed by using the red light to see inside the hide and saw the T with the roach tucked in its fangs. Man, Tartar can be fast!

:eek::T:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@0515H this morning, woke up early to try leave food outside the hide of Tartar. As I approached, the T seemingly materialized outside the hide, just in front of the barricade it erected from previous post. So I went and opened the lid, and the T disappeared again!

I was astonished so I inspected the hide with the red light and there is a small gap in the entrance. Therefore, the T did not erect a wall as I thought but made the entrance smaller. Its legs' tips are somewhat visible.

Then, I placed a mangled sand roach 3inches in front of the hide and planned to make a feeding video. Amazingly, the couple of seconds it took to get my phone, the T has dashed and took the roach back into the hide! I confirmed by using the red light to see inside the hide and saw the T with the roach tucked in its fangs. Man, Tartar can be fast!

:eek::T:
He he a fast B.smithi. That's funny. [emoji14]

They Can attack very quickly just like any tarantula, but Brachypelma are considered slow-moving on the tarantula speed spectrum.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As I was expecting the same @Chubbs that is why I stated that it can be fast. I am honestly terrified imagining if it will want to break out and I am not expecting it.

Good thing, because now I am cautious of that possibility! :eek:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tartar's breakfast this morning that made the mistake of entering its hide...

Fourteen hours later and halfway already.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Make sure you clean that up ASAP. I don't feed vertebrates partially because the bolus smell really bad from them and is a great way for attracting flies and other pests as well as mold.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Checked today to remove the bolus but this is what I have to deal with:

A completely sealed off hide!

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is pretty busy enlarging its burrow, maybe in preparation to molt after that big lizard meal.

Just a glimpse of its butt:

The enlarged burrow:

A T does know not to overfed. :rolleyes:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tartar before molt

Tartar after molt

Found the exuvium at the side of the burrow the other day, just found the time to post this. :D

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Finally! It's "feed me, feed me, feeeeeeeeddd meeee!"

It went out after almost a month in its burrow, attacked whatever comes to the mouth of its cave! Superworm, checked. Grasshopper, checked. Sand roach, checked! One at a time though.

Exuvium still stuck at the deepest part of burrow. :rolleyes:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For a new T keeper, I'm amazed that Tartar is mostly out and about ever since it finished its molting stint for almost a month (premolt + postmolt). Now, when I drop a superworm, which is not on top of it but in front, it is like a baseball player catching a fly ball. Tartar is immediately below and I swear the superworm sometimes don't even touch the substrate. Then, it carries the superworm inside its hide before it starts munching. :D

So lovin' this T right now! :D

Latest posts