• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Tartar (B. smithi) 's Journal

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Enn49 May I ask what the digits on the signature signifies? I have a feeling that it has got to do with molting. But why three digits? I think I can put 0.0.1 B. smithi in my signature now?

Any one is free to answer BTW. :T::D;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@RedCapTrio It's the sex. 0.0.1 is 0 male, 0 female, 1 sex not known. The number of moults are known as instars, a 1st instar is a T that has moulted once since hatching.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Now I'm confused, so what does 0.1.6 means? How about 0.0.0? lastly, 0.0.3? Thanks @Enn49

0.1.6 is no male, 1 female and 6 unsexed
0.0.0 is nothing, no Ts at all
0.0.3 is no male, no female and 3 unsexed

Another example could be 1.3.5 which would be 1 male, 3 females and 5 unsexed.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How silly of me, so it has nothing to do with molting at all. Now I get it, thanks a lot @Enn49

Don't feel silly. It took me ages to get the hang of it when I first started keeping snakes, they use the same system to denote the sex of snakes.

On the subject of moulting you need to know how many moults it had before you bought it and not many places tell you. I do have a few that came as 1st, 2nd or 3rd instars and one which was a 6th instar so I know what they are but most you never get to know how many moults they've had.

Last edited:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah @Chubbs im thinking when mine get old enough about shipping them so they can spread their seed especially since in this hobby is eventually the only way u r going to see a lot of these spiders someday. ie red knee. Ill just have to get with u guys when that time comes to make sure i am doing it right and with the right breeder.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all, I just checked on my T and discovered "mushrooms" in its cave! Last I checked was three days ago and the fungi were not there. I think it grew from the moss I placed under the potting mix but I have microwave heated for 10min both before using them.

Here are its photos:

Could not get Tartar to show in photos though... Is it alright to let the shrooms grow out? I kind of liked them. :rolleyes:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all, I just checked on my T and discovered "mushrooms" in its cave! Last I checked was three days ago and the fungi were not there. I think it grew from the moss I placed under the potting mix but I have microwave heated for 10min both before using them.

Here are its photos:

Could not get Tartar to show in photos though... Is it alright to let the shrooms grow out? I kind of liked them. :rolleyes:
No... that probably means there's mold on the substrate, which can kill your tarantula.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Removed the mushrooms okay. The one on the right is already 4" long and the one on the left has a twin stalk at both almost 3". I guess Tartar was burrowing deeper than I thought inside the cave. The substrate that it removed may have composed the wall in its cave entrance.

I had to destroy the webbing that Tartar made in the cave entrance in the process so I hope it will come out soon now that the cave is "open". :rolleyes::T:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think i would be nervous about what @Chubbs said....if there were mushrooms then there is probably mold. That can be fatal for a tarantula. I feel like i would do a complete tear down and a good cleaning of the enclosure.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think i would be nervous about what @Chubbs said....if there were mushrooms then there is probably mold. That can be fatal for a tarantula. I feel like i would do a complete tear down and a good cleaning of the enclosure.

Glad to have your thoughts guys, already did a change in substrate today. I have the posts in my other thread though. Can I ask the moderators to please merge my two threads? thanks in advance.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
After four days postmolt, I have to give Tartar undue stress because the molds got overwhelming overnight!

Here is Tartar after the redo, did not take photos with the molds since I was after time: :rolleyes:

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

This was my post from the other thread the other day.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Right now, he has erected yet another wall in the entrance of his hide and he has burrowed again to the glass under the hide where I can view him with my flashlight.

I will try to leave a dying roach outside his hide tomorrow night and see if he has harden enough from the molt. Right now, I don't know how he will know that food is outside since he is barricaded himself inside his hide.

Can anyone give me any suggestion?

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
BTW, does using red light from a flashlight bother a T? I do not use the white light since it is too bright.

Latest posts