• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My GBB. Moult soon?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi tomoran.
The GBB has pulled in into her tunnel web. Im not sure I could get the cricket out without disturbing her or the webbing to her entrance . If she moves past the cricket I might be able to get it. She's now sat at the entrance with the cricket behind her..

Thanks for stopping by

Sym

In that case, if the cricket is dead you can probably leave it in there until you can conveniently remove it while not disturbing the spider anymore.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi tomoran.
Do tarantulas need to move around to loosen the layers of skin before a moult ? He/she seems to be back and forth in and out of her hide.

Sym

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi tomoran.
Do tarantulas need to move around to loosen the layers of skin before a moult ? He/she seems to be back and forth in and out of her hide.

Sym

Is he/she laying down some web?

Although Ts usually become more lethargic during premolt, they will still move around, My GBBs are usually quite active, but their activity definitely slows down a bit when they are preparing for a molt, and they tend to be a bit more sedentary and secretive. That said, they will still move around a bit right up until they finally flip. When they do, they will work their way out of their old exoskeleton almost like you would work your hand out of a tight glove. This is an incredibly stressful and exhausting process for a tarantula, so make sure when it happens to give it some time to harden up without disturbance.

If yours refused the cricket, then it is likely in premolt. At this point, try to be patient, don't touch its enclosure, and observe its mannerisms and behavior until it finally molts. This way, you'll be more familiar with what to look for the next time it is in premolt. :)

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi tomoran.
He/she hasn't laid any webbing on the floor yet. He/she did add more webbing to her tunnel but hasn't enclose her/him self in.
image.jpg

I think maybe I'm just an over concerned new tarantula keeper.
Just want what's best for my new pets :).

Sym

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi tomoran.
He/she hasn't laid any webbing on the floor yet. He/she did add more webbing to her tunnel but hasn't enclose her/him self in.View attachment 8160
I think maybe I'm just an over concerned new tarantula keeper.
Just want what's best for my new pets :).

Sym

Mine tend to web a corner of their enclosure up more just before they molt. He/she's probably just looking for a little privacy. :)

Hey, we've all been there! As you've kept them longer, you'll just get more experienced at recognizing the signs.

I caught my P. vittata laying down a molting hammock last night, and I checked on her a couple dozen times throughout the night (and got to see the molt!), so the fascination never goes away. :)

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
Keep us updated on your tarantula. It is normal to be concerned. My B. Vagans closed up his hide with dirt right before molting and I did not see him for a couple of weeks. I was wondering the whole time if the molt had been successful or if my baby needed help.After about a month I was ready to digg her open to see what is cooking and as I got to the enclosure there she was, looking at me with those small little beady eyes. The point I am making is, tarantulas are a lot tougher than we think and they sure teach us patience since they have their own time. :)

Latest posts