• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My GBB. Moult soon?

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys/Girls.
So i haven't seen my GBB for a while due to it being inactive and in premoult. It hasn't eaten since the 20th of December but hasn't blocked off his/hers tunnelled webbing with more webbing. In the last half an hour after switching the main light off in the T's room and knocking on a side light the GBB has decided to Become active.
He/she has started laying more webbing over its entrance .
Should I expect it to have finished by the morning?
And if so any idea how long it will take to moult?

Thanks for stopping by

Sym

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi guys/Girls.
So i haven't seen my GBB for a while due to it being inactive and in premoult. It hasn't eaten since the 20th of December but hasn't blocked off his/hers tunnelled webbing with more webbing. In the last half an hour after switching the main light off in the T's room and knocking on a side light the GBB has decided to Become active.
He/she has started laying more webbing over its entrance .
Should I expect it to have finished by the morning?
And if so any idea how long it will take to moult?

Thanks for stopping by

Sym

There is no set time for a tarantula to be in pre molt, and no way anyone can predict how long a spider will take to molt. It differs from specimen to specimen and from molt to molt. I had one GBB molt three weeks after it stopped eating one time, then over a month after it stopped eating the next. Its a natural occurrence, and it will happen whenever the T is ready. About the only time I've been able to tell that a molt would be happening that day is when I catch a T putting down a a molting mat. Patience is a must in this hobby. ;)

Personally, this is one of the reasons that I have so many Ts; when one goes into premolt or closes itself off in its den, I have dozens of others to keep me occupied. :) I still get excited, however, when I know a molt is on the way.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi tomoran.
I have 3 T's at the mo and a 4th on the way. All 3 I think are in premoult. So it's like looking at 3 empty enclosures. My biggest juvie is my B.emilia female I've seen her twice in over a month. I am very excited to see the size increase .

Thanks for stopping by

Sym

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi tomoran.
I have 3 T's at the mo and a 4th on the way. All 3 I think are in premoult. So it's like looking at 3 empty enclosures. My biggest juvie is my B.emilia female I've seen her twice in over a month. I am very excited to see the size increase .

Thanks for stopping by

Sym

I was just reminding my wife of when I had only four slings and all four went into premolt at the same time. I would just stare at the enclosures, at the inactive or hidden spiders, as if I could just will them to molt. I know EXACTLY how you feel. :) That is seriously one of the reasons I just kept getting more. Now there is always someone out and about to keep me detracted from the ones who I can't wait to see to molt!

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi tomoran. I had a G.Rosea about 15yrs ago, he was a mature male when I bought him and lasted about 2 yrs in my care. And moulted once. This time round ive gone for slings and juvies so I can enjoy the whole tarantula keeper experiance.

Sym

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi tomoran. I had a G.Rosea about 15yrs ago, he was a mature male when I bought him and lasted about 2 yrs in my care. And moulted once. This time round ive gone for slings and juvies so I can enjoy the whole tarantula keeper experiance.

Sym

I love getting slings for just that reason. It's amazing watching them gain size and go through color changes as they mature to adulthood. Most of what I buy right now is slings and juvies for this very reason.

One of the GBBs I bought as a .75" sling just molted into its adult colors. I still can't stop looking at it. You are really going to enjoy watching yours grow up. :)

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
image.jpg
Here is my GBB the day I got him/her. Not sure on sex yet but it is looking leggy. Not much change in appearance since getting him/her apart from her abdomen is swollen and has a silverish mirror patch. As you can see from picture the first section of leg coming off the carapace is blue. Will the blue continue the full lenght of the leg or just another section...?

sym

Last edited:

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow, he/she's a beauty! How large is it right now? The molt before the last one, mine went from partial blue to full blue on the legs. I think her size at that point was around 2.25" or so. I'll have to double-check, though. She's around 3" now, and she has full blue legs and the metallic green carapace.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi tomoran. How do u measure your T's? Is that body length or leg span?

Sym

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've just measured his/hers body length as I couldn't see her/his back legs . It's roughly 1.75-1.80 inch from front of carapace to rear of abdomen . Doesn't look like he/she has done anymore webbing . Maybe lights out time..

Sym

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Hey there sym! Your GBB is so pretty! I have one too, but its only about an inch DLS. Most people in the hobby measure this way. DLS is Diagonal Leg Span. :) Waiting for a molt never gets easy. Here's to hoping your GBB has a successful molt! You're going to post pictures after, right? ;)

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi FaaFaa. Yes I will post some pictures when he/she will give up there old suit. Next time he/she is on the side of the enclosure I will get the correct measurement . Are GBB T's known for bad moults or just T's in general?

Thanks for stopping by
Sym

FaaFaa

3 Year Member
Usually everyone molts just fine. Didn't mean to make you worry!

I never get out the ruler and measure mine. I just eye ball it.

Christell Erasmus

3 Year Member
Hi there, Your GBB is very pretty.Mine also molted a few days ago and his legs are completely blue now. It is fascinating to see how each tarantula is different from the next. Mine did not stop eating, she ate a ****roach two days before molting. Please post some pics. :)

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi christell. I've woke up this morning to find my GBB sat at the front of him/hers entrance. Looking like he/she is ready to pounce. Shall I try feeding him/her? It hasnt laid any more webbing either.
I will post some pictures for sure :)

sym

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi christell. I've dropped a cricket In his/hers enclosure but it looks like he/she has killed it but not eaten it. ?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi christell. I've dropped a cricket In his/hers enclosure but it looks like he/she has killed it but not eaten it. ?

If it has killed it and is not eating it, you can take the cricket out. I've had some in premolt just slap the cricket away when they are not interested, and others that will just kill it and leave it. When this happens, I just take the prey item out.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi tomoran.
The GBB has pulled in into her tunnel web. Im not sure I could get the cricket out without disturbing her or the webbing to her entrance . If she moves past the cricket I might be able to get it. She's now sat at the entrance with the cricket behind her..

Thanks for stopping by

Sym

Latest posts