• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My arachnophobic daughter wants a T.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Meagan, who is an admitted arachnophobe, allowed my A.avic to touch her today,
she (Urchin not Meg) was climbing around on her enclosure door as I washed her windows (dirty girl) and Meag was holding the door for me, Urchin did that little tip toe walk like the avic do over to her hand I told her just let her look. so she did and Urchin explored her finger then float walked back into her enclosure.
Well she has now decided that maybe they are kind of nice to have around and she wants a T.
But not just any T, she wants a Psalmopoeus pulcher.
Her reasoning is, Other then thinking its beautiful,
1) it will live in here with you,
2) its pretty you don't have one that color
3) its a tree spider and you only have one of those

The worst part is, we have all been so sad since my mom passed that I'm considering it, as I know she's only going to sit here and watch it, she has Zero desire to handle.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's an awesome price. I'll be buying one of those with the avic for my son come payday :)

It would be a great intermediate arboreal for you. All Psalmopoeus species are rather defensive and can move very very fast when spooked, but thankfully they lack the more powerful venom of Old World arboreals, like Poecilotheria. I've only kept cambridgei and irminia. P.cambridgei is the largest of the genus (7 inches and rivaling some Pokies in size) are while mine are still feisty at times, they tend to be the most mellow out of the genus. They also are a bit less secretive than the others and as adults will stay out in the open more often. P.irminia is the most secretive of the genus and hides the most, and is arguably the most defensive out of them all. Based off of everything I've been told from other keepers, pulcher and reduncus are somewhat in the middle of the spectrum, with P.pulcher leaning more towards cambridgei in terms of temperament, and and P.reduncus leaning more towards irminia.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
It would be a great intermediate arboreal for you. All Psalmopoeus species are rather defensive and can move very very fast when spooked, but thankfully they lack the more powerful venom of Old World arboreals, like Poecilotheria. I've only kept cambridgei and irminia. P.cambridgei is the largest of the genus (7 inches and rivaling some Pokies in size) are while mine are still feisty at times, they tend to be the most mellow out of the genus. They also are a bit less secretive than the others and as adults will stay out in the open more often. P.irminia is the most secretive of the genus and hides the most, and is arguably the most defensive out of them all. Based off of everything I've been told from other keepers, pulcher and reduncus are somewhat in the middle of the spectrum, with P.pulcher leaning more towards cambridgei in terms of temperament, and and P.reduncus leaning more towards irminia.
My P.irminia is most certainly the most secretive but will always come out for a misting. Never been defensive, never given a threat pose but very very easily spooked, I've seen him scare himself haha! He would rather retreat. Thanks for the tips above I'm excited I read this thread and then looked them up, what a gorgeous T.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
awesome! thanks @Chubbs So they're real fast but not really aggressive. I'll be doing my homework this week and next until i can order one. Might be longer than i expected as the temps for the next couple weeks won't get much above 20F here.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You're welcome. Better safe than sorry I suppose about the shipping. I've had a few Psalmos actually run straight up the tongs and onto my hand when feeding them. Somehow they missed the cricket lol.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
was just looking at jamie's website. The P. pulcher kit shows they only have 1 available :( now that i told my son he's super excited about getting his A. versicolor. I see them on net-bug.net but now i don't know what i want to order with it lol.

Decisions decisions decisions.

Latest posts