• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Incest in arthrapoda

spodermin

Stick around, thats the first path to raising the population of this forum. Its not dead, there are many regulars here, ppl like to lurk sometimes, or have periods of inactivity. On the question of inbreeding I tend to agree with Clown. Males of the same sac will mature and die before females reach sexual maturity, for the most part. Most especially in the longer lived species like Brachys and Aphonopelma. For instance, I'm buying a trio from Casey right now, and she made sure to mention they were all from the same sac. She did this so I would know that any males I got would not be breedable with any female, not even close with B. albos. Five years and the males would be mature, or close to it. My last MM albo was 4 1/2. The females would be half their size. Unless you powerfeed, and use high temps, which I'm not sure would work. I don't do it anyway, I use room temp and feed every 3 wks for juvies and adults. I **** you not, I have a 7 year old G pulchra thats half grown. I just dont see sac mates being viable pairs, even with Lp...

Females don't need to reach full size to be sexually mature though, you must remember.

On the subject of forums, I'll stick around here for sure. There are 10 or so people I see all the time (yourself included) that are all fantastic and keep it worthwhile. I think the good ones more or less find their way here overtime anyways so I don't lose sleep.

nedaK

Stick around, thats the first path to raising the population of this forum. Its not dead, there are many regulars here, ppl like to lurk sometimes, or have periods of inactivity. On the question of inbreeding I tend to agree with Clown. Males of the same sac will mature and die before females reach sexual maturity, for the most part. Most especially in the longer lived species like Brachys and Aphonopelma. For instance, I'm buying a trio from Casey right now, and she made sure to mention they were all from the same sac. She did this so I would know that any males I got would not be breedable with any female, not even close with B. albos. Five years and the males would be mature, or close to it. My last MM albo was 4 1/2. The females would be half their size. Unless you powerfeed, and use high temps, which I'm not sure would work. I don't do it anyway, I use room temp and feed every 3 wks for juvies and adults. I **** you not, I have a 7 year old G pulchra thats half grown. I just dont see sac mates being viable pairs, even with Lp...
I’ll stick around for sure. One day thirty years later you’ll be like: oh I remember this board and look around for a bit and you’ll see me active ten seconds ago when I’m ****ing 40.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't know what it is with some forums. They seem to go out of their way to set up a situation which is intentionally toxic. In amateur radio it is sometimes very anti CB in some quarters & god help you with certain people if you come from a free (pirate) radio background, which I do. And in magic there is one site in particular, which is the biggest & it could also be the best, but for the fact they have a protected hierarchy, mainly well known professionals, that can say & do what ever they want, whilst those who dare to question, argue back in self defence, or recommend a book, dvd etc which is not by the most loved, get a ban. So the victims get victimised further & the bullies are treated like victims!!

spodermin

I don't know what it is with some forums. They seem to go out of their way to set up a situation which is intentionally toxic. In amateur radio it is sometimes very anti CB in some quarters & god help you with certain people if you come from a free (pirate) radio background, which I do. And in magic there is one site in particular, which is the biggest & it could also be the best, but for the fact they have a protected hierarchy, mainly well known professionals, that can say & do what ever they want, whilst those who dare to question, argue back in self defence, or recommend a book, dvd etc which is not by the most loved, get a ban. So the victims get victimised further & the bullies are treated like victims!!

TL;DR people are retarded and speech should never be controlled.

Your comparison hits the nail on the head when referring to the AB situation.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I was on a roach board years ago and we talked about the subject of in-breeding. One member is a known author and biologist. Orin McMonigle. He said it would take roughly 999 generations of in-breeding before seeing any congenital issues if you started with a single pair of adult insects. He estimated 99 generations for reptiles. This number is much lower for humans and other "higher" mammals.

I have a colony of hissing roaches that I started with two females and a male in 1992. I've never added anything new and by this point, there have probably been over a million off spring. No problems of any kind. They are still going strong to this day.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I was on a roach board years ago and we talked about the subject of in-breeding. One member is a known author and biologist. Orin McMonigle. He said it would take roughly 999 generations of in-breeding before seeing any congenital issues if you started with a single pair of adult insects. He estimated 99 generations for reptiles. This number is much lower for humans and other "higher" mammals.

I have a colony of hissing roaches that I started with two females and a male in 1992. I've never added anything new and by this point, there have probably been over a million off spring. No problems of any kind. They are still going strong to this day.

That is really interesting

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I feel the same. This board is definetly dead. I have permission to restart the monthly photo contest. Which I will be doing, but maybe we can do something to attract more people?

So? Liven it up then!!

Many newer members are in the intro section. That's where the new blood comes in.

They are enthusiastic & help all of us remember why we got into the hobby in the first place.

AB basically censors anyone who doesn't buy into their cult, eg ladder system -- junk enclosures that are Jerry rigged -- no climate control even if your living space is unsuitable etc blah blah blah.

It's strictly my opinion and many other equally valid points of view exist, but if everyone is in the same cult, it's only one voice with 100% interchangeable parts whereas here there is a valid multiple perspective body of knowledge.

Just ONE of many examples: There's an individual with multiple dogs in their home that has multiple Australian species not one of which is double cages, yet they ***** at me because I don't want mine at 68 degrees where I have because I'm used to it & would rather have it in the 80s.

Names don't matter because it's the principal not the personality, but you'd recognize them in half a second if I dropped the name.

Of course, others disagree and that's fine as well, but I have a cat and personally I wouldn't take the chance.

Can you say double standard anyone?

Frankly, I seldom post over there anymore. They have my YouTube channel. They can access my opinion there.

Last edited:

Latest posts