• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Incest in arthrapoda

spodermin

I'm pretty sure it's fine because I feel like I've heard of reputable breeders doing this, but it's something I've wondered for a while myself. I hope someone with some knowledge replies to this thread?

This forum seems dead. It's a shame (I came from arachnoboards after being banned) and this forum seems much better layout, more user friendly (better rules, moderation, etc.) But totally a ghost town... I see the same 3 people basically exclusively on every thread. It's a shame. Maybe when I'm unbanned from AB I can divert some of those guys over here lol

Tnoob

I'm pretty sure it's fine because I feel like I've heard of reputable breeders doing this, but it's something I've wondered for a while myself. I hope someone with some knowledge replies to this thread?

This forum seems dead. It's a shame (I came from arachnoboards after being banned) and this forum seems much better layout, more user friendly (better rules, moderation, etc.) But totally a ghost town... I see the same 3 people basically exclusively on every thread. It's a shame. Maybe when I'm unbanned from AB I can divert some of those guys over here lol
I feel the same. This board is definetly dead. I have permission to restart the monthly photo contest. Which I will be doing, but maybe we can do something to attract more people?

spodermin

I feel the same. This board is definetly dead. I have permission to restart the monthly photo contest. Which I will be doing, but maybe we can do something to attract more people?

Yeah I will spread the word on AB when I'm unbanned like I said. It's a shame because I made a custom T-shirt for the next Toronto expo that say Arachnoboards and my username Spodermin but now I'm banned LOL I wish I could change it to rep this forum but I'm not spending another $40 CAD.

This is genuinely a better platform though. We can only try.

Where are you located, Tnoob?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Sorry to bump an oldish thread, but I'm thinking there must be a certain amount of inbreeding, that doesn't seem terribly detrimental to the genes, when a newly discovered species makes it's way into the hobby. What soon becomes a substantial captive population must be seeded by a tiny number of breeding pairs, so I'm sure there is plenty of inbreeding at the beginning. Though maybe some more knowledgeable forum members could correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey, @spodermin, what you get banned for? That is if you don't mind telling. If you do mind, I apologise for asking and putting you on the spot!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah I will spread the word on AB when I'm unbanned like I said. It's a shame because I made a custom T-shirt for the next Toronto expo that say Arachnoboards and my username Spodermin but now I'm banned LOL I wish I could change it to rep this forum but I'm not spending another $40 CAD.

This is genuinely a better platform though. We can only try.

Where are you located, Tnoob?

It would be hilarious if everybody banned on AB turned up at an expo in t-shirts that said, "Banned from ArachnoBoards for _______________"

The back of the t-shirt could have "Come on over to The Tarantula Forum. You won't find any Arachnobores here!"

spodermin

It would be hilarious if everybody banned on AB turned up at an expo in t-shirts that said, "Banned from ArachnoBoards for _______________"

The back of the t-shirt could have "Come on over to The Tarantula Forum. You won't find any Arachnobores here!"

LOL I love it.

And just banned for a bunch of bs reasons, language, "provoking posts", "questioning staff member decisions" etc. etc.

Currently permabanned from posting because I allegedly made an alt following the ban from another IP address. They have too much time on their hands, whackjobs.

I like a forum where I can say "****" better anyways. I don't like being told what to do. That's why I love this forum so much. If Enn49 ever told me not to do something it would carry so much more weight because I've never heard it before. At AB it was like they personally monitored everything I said and did and gave me a "point" on their point system for everything. I could give you specifics if you want

I really do love this forum. But I want to start my own, something primarily canadian (with blackjack and hookers)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
LOL I love it.

And just banned for a bunch of bs reasons, language, "provoking posts", "questioning staff member decisions" etc. etc.

Currently permabanned from posting because I allegedly made an alt following the ban from another IP address. They have too much time on their hands, whackjobs.

I like a forum where I can say "****" better anyways. I don't like being told what to do. That's why I love this forum so much. If Enn49 ever told me not to do something it would carry so much more weight because I've never heard it before. At AB it was like they personally monitored everything I said and did and gave me a "point" on their point system for everything. I could give you specifics if you want

I really do love this forum. But I want to start my own, something primarily canadian (with blackjack and hookers)

Seems silly to ban someone just for having a different opinion and questioning decisions. Surely a forum shouldnt be run like a dictatorship.

What I don't like on there is that any time someone asks a question, people jump in demanding pictures of the T in its enclosure at all angles, like hounds on the scent of blood from a wounded prey, and you just know that they are going to rip them to shreds and critique it to ___. it would make me hesitate to post pictures, which is sad as I'd like to ask for advice, and pictures can be incredibly useful.

This forum is different, as people don't nitpick every little thing, but just point out the main stuff in a nice way.

I personally have found AB an extremely useful resource, but there is the aspect that there is a hardcore bunch of people on there, who gang up on anyone stepping away from their commandments, i.e. "Thou shalt not handle thou T", or "Thou shalt not go straight onto Old World's" . While I personally agree with those commandments, I am happy to acknowledge that not everyone does, and I would never dream of demonising anyone for doing it differently.

spodermin

Seems silly to ban someone just for having a different opinion and questioning decisions. Surely a forum shouldnt be run like a dictatorship.

What I don't like on there is that any time someone asks a question, people jump in demanding pictures of the T in its enclosure at all angles, like hounds on the scent of blood from a wounded prey, and you just know that they are going to rip them to shreds and critique it to ___. it would make me hesitate to post pictures, which is sad as I'd like to ask for advice, and pictures can be incredibly useful.

This forum is different, as people don't nitpick every little thing, but just point out the main stuff in a nice way.

I personally have found AB an extremely useful resource, but there is the aspect that there is a hardcore bunch of people on there, who gang up on anyone stepping away from their commandments, i.e. "Thou shalt not handle thou T", or "Thou shalt not go straight onto Old World's" . While I personally agree with those commandments, I am happy to acknowledge that not everyone does, and I would never dream of demonising anyone for doing it differently.

I couldn't agree more about any of that. They do run it like a dictatorship, the people are (for the most part less experienced) and very hostile. I think everyone on there learns 3 things about keeping spiders and makes a point to go around MAKING SURE everyone else has learned those 3 things also. That's what it feels like. I was also crucified for jumping into the hobby. By one of the admins also.

As you say it is a decent resource, certainly a larger community than this one, but wayyyy too PG, and way too many neurotic idiots waving their ****s around. It was through dealing with these people I came up with my tagline on these boards: 'remember people, we are all just weirdos keeping boxes of spiders in our house at the end of the day'

spodermin

But yeah anyone who doesn't believe in open forum shouldn't run an open forum. Lmao. As long as things aren't explicit, illegal, scam or spam, who the **** cares about language or inflection or whatever else they demand to critique.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Stick around, thats the first path to raising the population of this forum. Its not dead, there are many regulars here, ppl like to lurk sometimes, or have periods of inactivity. On the question of inbreeding I tend to agree with Clown. Males of the same sac will mature and die before females reach sexual maturity, for the most part. Most especially in the longer lived species like Brachys and Aphonopelma. For instance, I'm buying a trio from Casey right now, and she made sure to mention they were all from the same sac. She did this so I would know that any males I got would not be breedable with any female, not even close with B. albos. Five years and the males would be mature, or close to it. My last MM albo was 4 1/2. The females would be half their size. Unless you powerfeed, and use high temps, which I'm not sure would work. I don't do it anyway, I use room temp and feed every 3 wks for juvies and adults. I **** you not, I have a 7 year old G pulchra thats half grown. I just dont see sac mates being viable pairs, even with Lp...