• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

How old is my Tarantula and is the animal male or female?

BenTarantula

I believe that the substrate is so moist because the way the water dish was positioned before was somewhat buried and I think the substrate would just wick up the water; I'd add water and soon thereafter the dish would be empty.

BenTarantula

Thank you! That was my concern, too, given the moisture in the substrate. I've had the lid off of the enclosure for an hour or so now so I hope that some of the excess moisture will evaporate. It seems that the spider has no desire to escape the enclosure, but I've been supervising!

CritterKeeper79

Thank you! That was my concern, too, given the moisture in the substrate. I've had the lid off of the enclosure for an hour or so now so I hope that some of the excess moisture will evaporate. It seems that the spider has no desire to escape the enclosure, but I've been supervising!
Is it eating in the last photo? It’s legs look like it’s in an odd position. Maybe just the angle?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is it eating in the last photo? It’s legs look like it’s in an odd position. Maybe just the angle?
I just went back to look, perhaps a funky pic, but on closer inspection, that enclosure is huge for that size sling. Like kinda too big. I would use something 1/3 the size for a sling that size.
It's like a football field for a hedgehog.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you! That was my concern, too, given the moisture in the substrate. I've had the lid off of the enclosure for an hour or so now so I hope that some of the excess moisture will evaporate. It seems that the spider has no desire to escape the enclosure, but I've been supervising

Get a piece of 1/8" metal wire cloth (screen) and put it on top of the open enclosure with a rock to hold it down and leave it for a few hours or overnight, you won't have to supervise it

BenTarantula

I just went back to look, perhaps a funky pic, but on closer inspection, that enclosure is huge for that size sling. Like kinda too big. I would use something 1/3 the size for a sling that size.
It's like a football field for a hedgehog.
Yea, that's the enclosure the spider was housed in when I purchased it.

BenTarantula

I was terrified to find my sling floating in its water dish this morning. I thought it had drowned, but it quickly exited the dish when I disturbed the enclosure. I took a pipette and removed some of the water out of the dish, thinking it may have been too full.

Anyways, the sling seems to greatly appreciate its new hide. I put a cricket in this morning and I finally saw the t strike as the cricket explored the spider's cave. The cricket, however, managed to escape (for now).

BenTarantula

Week 3 Photos

Attachments

• 2021.03.26 (1) Tamulipas Rose Hair.jpg
    2021.03.26 (1) Tamulipas Rose Hair.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 2021.03.26 (2) Tamulipas Rose Hair.jpg
    2021.03.26 (2) Tamulipas Rose Hair.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 2021.03.26 (3) Tamulipas Rose Hair.jpg
    2021.03.26 (3) Tamulipas Rose Hair.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16