• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
Well uhm.. I have another sling which is a B. Smithi (2cm). And she hasn't been eating since Thursday. I feed her whenever she would take down prey. And for some reason she wont take down prey since Thursday. so it's been a week already since she last ate. Is this a sign of premolt? or is it just fasting cu'z it's Christmas? She's been a bit more skittish than usual though.. so I don't know what to do..

micheldied

3 Year Member
Well uhm.. I have another sling which is a B. Smithi (2cm). And she hasn't been eating since Thursday. I feed her whenever she would take down prey. And for some reason she wont take down prey since Thursday. so it's been a week already since she last ate. Is this a sign of premolt? or is it just fasting cu'z it's Christmas? She's been a bit more skittish than usual though.. so I don't know what to do..

Could just be full. Could be premolt. When you power feed them, expect them to start fasting for premolt a lot earlier than normal.

swimbait

3 Year Member
They may just be full, a spider will not eat every 2 days for weeks at a time. Could be pre molt or they could be full but you don't need to worry about a spider not eating until that time is more like a month, and that's for slings. Adult tarantulas can fast for several months, and not because it's Christmas....

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
They may just be full, a spider will not eat every 2 days for weeks at a time. Could be pre molt or they could be full but you don't need to worry about a spider not eating until that time is more like a month, and that's for slings. Adult tarantulas can fast for several months, and not because it's Christmas....

Hehe I thought because it's winter. How long will the premolt process last? For a sling..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
depends on the sling. Brachy's i'm told can take a month+ My B. Boehmei hasn't eaten in a month and appears to be in premolt, or so i hope. My son's GBB in the past molted every month, and would be in premolt for a week or 2 weeks tops. We hope he's in premolt again as he hasn't eaten in 3 weeks and his last molt was the end of august.

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
depends on the sling. Brachy's i'm told can take a month+ My B. Boehmei hasn't eaten in a month and appears to be in premolt, or so i hope. My son's GBB in the past molted every month, and would be in premolt for a week or 2 weeks tops. We hope he's in premolt again as he hasn't eaten in 3 weeks and his last molt was the end of august.

I have a smithi(2cm).. by any chance, do you know how long is it's premolt? It's already been a week. And Im soooo so nervous about my smithi..

swimbait

3 Year Member
I have a smithi(2cm).. by any chance, do you know how long is it's premolt? It's already been a week. And Im soooo so nervous about my smithi..

It's going to be longer than a week. The poster above already answered essentially, brachypelmas are a slow growing species and reports of slings pre molt lasting close to a month aren't uncommon. Some slings grow faster than others but you are likely looking at 2 1/2 weeks of no eating before a molt, once that happens wait at least 4 days if not a week too feed again, do not try to feed your tarantula the day it molts. It takes several days for their exoskeletons to harden up fangs included. No need to worry about your T, like I said they can fast for months. If you fed this thing every other day for even a week it would likely be good for a month. Tarantulas are not a pet you need to feed frequently. I have a ton of juvenile specimens that I won't feed for a couple weeks just because they get nice and fat and start leaving more left over prey than usual, they have a general limit. It is important your tarantula stays hydrated during this time

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
It's going to be longer than a week. The poster above already answered essentially, brachypelmas are a slow growing species and reports of slings pre molt lasting close to a month aren't uncommon. Some slings grow faster than others but you are likely looking at 2 1/2 weeks of no eating before a molt, once that happens wait at least 4 days if not a week too feed again, do not try to feed your tarantula the day it molts. It takes several days for their exoskeletons to harden up fangs included. No need to worry about your T, like I said they can fast for months. If you fed this thing every other day for even a week it would likely be good for a month. Tarantulas are not a pet you need to feed frequently. I have a ton of juvenile specimens that I won't feed for a couple weeks just because they get nice and fat and start leaving more left over prey than usual, they have a general limit. It is important your tarantula stays hydrated during this time

Ohh.. okay, So I should just wait for it to molt. Im giving it drops of water everyweek. I hope that'll help my smithi. Thanks all of you for your helpful answers! Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Latest posts