• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help please

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
My grammastola pulchripes (2cm) wont take down it's prey although he would just pounce at it very fast then runs away.. Is this a sign for something? like a premolt? She has been very active when it comes to burrowing though.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Has it been eating for you? Is it possible that the prey is too large for it? Has it eaten this size before? You could try pre-killing the prey item to see if it is getting spooked by it.

If they are not interested in eating, they will often "slap" prey away. If its abdomen is plump and dark, it could be in premolt.

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
It's very possibly pre-molt. Is the abdomen larger than usual or dark colored? Is the prey too large for it to eat?

The prey is no larger than my pulchripes' abdomen. And yes her abdomen is actually dark ever since, so It's hard to tell if she's in premolt.

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
Has it been eating for you? Is it possible that the prey is too large for it? Has it eaten this size before? You could try pre-killing the prey item to see if it is getting spooked by it.

If they are not interested in eating, they will often "slap" prey away. If its abdomen is plump and dark, it could be in premolt.

It has been eating since last week. And yes I have been feeding her the same size every time.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It has been eating since last week. And yes I have been feeding her the same size every time.

Sorry, I just wasn't sure if this was a first feeding or not. I agree with @Meludox; if the rump is plump and dark and it suddenly stopped eating, it could be in premolt.

If not, this species will fast around this time of year. I have two that I bought as slings, and for two years in a row, both quit eating in the winter and emerged in the spring and started eating again. Just something to keep in mind if yours doesn't molt.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Best thing to do, and hardest, is leave it alone and let it do what comes natural. Keep the water in the dish full is about all you can do for it.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I place water dishes to all my slings even at half an inch. I use the lego blocks, the square one and fill it with water. Higher humidity may help a molting T.

Signs of premolt will be dark and shiny abdomens, definitely. :D

micheldied

3 Year Member
They can handle it pretty dry. You usually won't have to worry about molting issues with Brachypelma.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@RedCapTrio Thanks! Now i'm sitting here thinking of lego block hides, and climbs and a whole lego block enclosure lol With the technics you could even make the water dish on a chain to remove it for cleaning and refill, then just turn the crank and the dish slides back in. Great for those aggressive species :D

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@RedCapTrio Thanks! Now i'm sitting here thinking of lego block hides, and climbs and a whole lego block enclosure lol With the technics you could even make the water dish on a chain to remove it for cleaning and refill, then just turn the crank and the dish slides back in. Great for those aggressive species :D
I've been doing the same thing, nice little minecraft set up with a dirt pool for them to burrow into lol

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
Has been eating since last week? Same size every time? How often have you been feeding this spider anyways?

I feed her every 2 days. I feed her that often because I want my slings to get through their sling stage fast..
Is that okay? Im not sure I just think that it's okay since other tarantula enthusiasts do it..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I've read there are two trains of thought on that, I feed my slings whenever they'll eat.
Some keepers swear you shouldn't power feed and give you a list of why nots,
while other equally successful keepers claim they power feed too.
To my way of thinking keep watch over your personal T's
and use your best judgement based on their size and activity level.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I feed her every 2 days. I feed her that often because I want my slings to get through their sling stage fast..
Is that okay? Im not sure I just think that it's okay since other tarantula enthusiasts do it..

Completely fine. If they don't want to eat, you can just remove the prey item.
The only difference it really makes is life span. If you're okay with getting them bigger faster (and potentially shortening their lifespans a bit), then by all means, do it. I've never had a health problem occur because of it.