• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help I'm a new spooder mom!

That enclosure is too large. Your T may be stressed because he/she feels exposed, insecure in a big glass box with no place to hide.

Get a 32oz deli cup. Poke a bunch of holes in it all around and one or two in the lid. Put an inch or so of substrate in, pack it down. A slab of diagonal cork bark, some moss, a few plastic or silk leaves and a water dish. See pic.

View attachment 55054

Moisten the substrate somewhat, tansfer your T and put the container in a low traffic part of your house that's warm-ish (72-78° F) with a modicum of airflow, not stagnant air, not too humid.

Then leave it be for a day or so.
We unfortunately dont have a low traffic part of our house. Were renting and its kitchen living room the boys room, mine and my husband's little cubby for just a bed and then a bathroom... that's it. Idk where else to stick them. There literally isnt anywhere we can stick them.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I guess it doesnt let you do emojis haha.. oopsie poopsie
Ifyou look at the top of the box you type in. To the right of the insert an image button, are three vertical fullstops. If you place your cursor over those it says More options.......If you click on that a lower tool bar pops up & emoji's are on that. But there are not many to choose from.

Capture.JPG

Ifyou look at the top of the box you type in. To the right of the insert an image button, are three vertical fullstops. If you place your cursor over those it says More options.......If you click on that a lower tool bar pops up & emoji's are on that. But there are not many to choose from.

View attachment 55059
Thank you so much. You guys are so helpful. Is there anyone who is from the east coast like south central Pennsylvania?

She hasn't moved like I said... I wanted to ask you guys should I drop a cricket in there for her to eat? Should I boop her to get her out of the Tupperware container? I'm not a good spooder mom for it being my first... I'm sucking at it pretty bad...
20210324_085848.jpg
20210324_085907.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ts won't eat when they are stressed, leave it be. Just make sure there's always clean, fresh water available for it.

As nice as that enclosure looks, it's way too large for that size T, which usually means feeder insects will get away and hide in the enclosure as far from the spider as they can.

You'd be better off staging your T in something smaller that's properly set up for an avicularia-arboreal untill it grows to about 5"

JM2C

Ts won't eat when they are stressed, leave it be. Just make sure there's always clean, fresh water available for it.

As nice as that enclosure looks, it's way too large for that size T, which usually means feeder insects will get away and hide in the enclosure as far from the spider as they can.

You'd be better off staging your T in something smaller that's properly set up for an avicularia-arboreal untill it grows to about 5"

JM2C
Should I put her back in her container? What we got from the expo? We didn't throw it away. Altogether both of the new enclosures were like almost 200 from Petco. The lady gave me a discount or it would've been over 300 for the enclosures. Plus not to mention all the stuff I got. Plus extra I didnt need. Then what do i do with the large enclosure? & what about curly's tank? Apparently I don't have enough substrate in there for him.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Should I put her back in her container? What we got from the expo? We didn't throw it away. Altogether both of the new enclosures were like almost 200 from Petco. The lady gave me a discount or it would've been over 300 for the enclosures. Plus not to mention all the stuff I got. Plus extra I didnt need. Then what do i do with the large enclosure? & what about curly's tank? Apparently I don't have enough substrate in there for him.
Appreciated, hobbies are $$$

Pet stores, especially big box ones like Petco, often don't know what they are doing or how to care for the pets they sell and will sell you anything. I'm sorry you bought the wrong/too large enclosure(s). It is what it is at this point.

Go to the supermarket and ask for a 32oz deli cup and lid. Make cross ventilation holes.in it with a pin or soldering iron, all the way around, and a few in the lid. Furnish with 1" or so substrate, decorate, etc.See my earlier post saying basically the same thing.

you can use some or all of the substrate from the big enclosure to add more to your T albopilosus' enclosure. Got pics of that setup?

Latest posts