• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help I'm a new spooder mom!

On Saturday the 20th my family went to the reptile expo in Gettysburg... Got a pink toe & a curly hair.. (I think curly hair is in premolt)

Anyway 3 different times messing and stressing pinky out from doing her enclosure... its finally permanent... she fell the 2nd time from the top to the bottom. She landed on her feet. I didn't see any "blood" (goo) that I can see. She is currently in a Tupperware container inside her enclosure and has not moved since last night. I do have a black towel covering her tank...She's not doing a death curl... however my gut feeling is telling me she's dead... I feel so horrible.

Should I stop worrying and leave her be or keep checking on her? If she is dead definitely want to get another one. The tank is already set up. So no stressing...

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
On Saturday the 20th my family went to the reptile expo in Gettysburg... Got a pink toe & a curly hair.. (I think curly hair is in premolt)

Anyway 3 different times messing and stressing pinky out from doing her enclosure... its finally permanent... she fell the 2nd time from the top to the bottom. She landed on her feet. I didn't see any "blood" (goo) that I can see. She is currently in a Tupperware container inside her enclosure and has not moved since last night. I do have a black towel covering her tank...She's not doing a death curl... however my gut feeling is telling me she's dead... I feel so horrible.

Should I stop worrying and leave her be or keep checking on her? If she is dead definitely want to get another one. The tank is already set up. So no stressing...
Hello worried mom, the first step would be to take a picture of her for us to be able to help further or recommend something. Ts climb and fall all the time and most of the time without any issues. Please post a picture and welcome to the hobby and this great forum.

I’m so sorry! Your mom is in a better place right now so don’t worry.
Thank you. Well she's my step mom but she was more of a mom than my biological mother. So that says a lot. I'm not worried I just want her back. She had her birthday on the 7th of February and passed away on the 19th... most horriblest day in my whole life....

Welcome!

Here's a little read for you:

Thread 'Keeping Avicularia species - Updated with Pictures' https://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/keeping-avicularia-species-updated-with-pictures.28934/
Read the whole thing just now. I'm an over thinker to the max... plus my anxiety doesnt help either. I think my pinky is a juvenile.. she or he or widget isnt that big.... we bought a big enclosure for pinky. Haven't took the picture yet for you guys because I dont want to stress her out more so than we already have... I'm hoping she's still alive. She's still in that Tupperware container.. hasn't moved.. for the first time spooder momma. I'm freaking... I wish I could cuddle her... or let her climb all over me and just freak people out. I'm not afraid of her. I'm afraid of hurting her... *sighs*

this is her enclosure before we stressed her out to hell and back....I know it looks pitiful to the max...
20210322_090515.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That enclosure is too large. Your T may be stressed because he/she feels exposed, insecure in a big glass box with no place to hide.

Get a 32oz deli cup. Poke a bunch of holes in it all around and one or two in the lid. Put an inch or so of substrate in, pack it down. A slab of diagonal cork bark, some moss, a few plastic or silk leaves and a water dish. See pic.

16165565241661879421075807678874.jpg

Moisten the substrate somewhat, tansfer your T and put the container in a low traffic part of your house that's warm-ish (72-78° F) with a modicum of airflow, not stagnant air, not too humid.

Then leave it be for a day or so.

That is what it looked like before we did anything to it. That was the transfer from what the T came in... & what she came in was just a little see through deli container. With nothing but substrate. I will take a picture of it I promise. It doesn't look like that now. There is plently of hidey places for her... she just feels much safer in the Tupperware container. My friend told me to stop messin with her or I'm going to kill it.

We moved her to the one enclosure that you had to pop the top off everytime and she was right there at the top everytime we had to open it. I however do not have a good picture of that enclosure...

I bought the enclosure at petco here in hanover. The only place that actually had it. And the other enclosure for my curly hair.. ( I think. . . I hope hes in pre-molt) he or she was fine didn't take too long and didn't stress out that bad.

Was going to get one from amazon but I thought it was going to be too small.. if she is a female she's going to get at least no more than 5 inches max...? So she is a juvenile right now?

Can pinky die because too much stress? It's called a stress kill.?

Latest posts