• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling Mr T?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd worry about handling a NW over a bed or table cloth or towel etc. The urticating hairs could cause serious discomfort to a human, especially if they somehow get into your eyes.

At least put the bedding into the washing machine after handling and before you go to bed.

As far as handling and OWs, just don't. I have several OWs & not one of them has a temperament remotely suited to handling even in an emergency.

Some new world Ts are just as unsuitable for handling as old worlds are, generally handling should be only a last resort.

A paintbrush and catch cup are your friends. In the case of old worlds, maybe even 2 catch cups one on each side.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The reactions to the same stimulus differs by species. For example PZBs and E sp reds aren't that badly affected, & that can make rehousing and cage cleaning easier. Still I'd minimize it. I didn't really worry about ease of handling when I got most of mine & I don't miss it. Only my C versicolor has walked on my hand on multiple occasions & that was only because the cage was to small and he was trying to escape.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The reactions to the same stimulus differs by species. For example PZBs and E sp reds aren't that badly affected, & that can make rehousing and cage cleaning easier. Still I'd minimize it. I didn't really worry about ease of handling wheni got most of mine & I don't miss it. Only my C versicolor has walked on my hand on multiple occasions & that was only because the cage was to small and he was trying to escape.
This statement is not relevant when it comes to my big female E. campestratus. She is an eight legged bundle of defensiveness.

As for the topic, tarantulas do not benefit in any way whatsoever from handing, some may tolerate it to a point, but they will never gain anything from it.

Handling is stressful for the tarantula, not to mention selfish in a way as far as humans are concerned.

But for those that do it, it's your choice, albeit a risky one with multiple negatives and zero positives.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If they are defensive, don't do it. I have handled a PZB before and it was totally chilled out, seemed not to care at all.

Still, tarantulas are individuals and growth rates as well as attitude can differ greatly. They also change when they molt as well with frequency of feeding and temperature.

Sometimes a feeding response can be mistaken for being defensive. Of course, that doesn't matter if you get tagged!! If they attack the waterdish when you fill it, then you're got a feeding response most likely.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How's that salty bro??? I've watched a half dozen of her videos and have never ever seen a tarantula. Just dropping a idea...maybe show a spider. Not asking much for a tarantula channel. I'll go now...
Gotta agree..if you're going to post care vids and even make a guide for new hobbyists, I'd recommend showing some tarantulas, set-ups, etc..that way people know you're not repeating something you heard, and have little or no practical experience.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The reactions to the same stimulus differs by species. For example PZBs and E sp reds aren't that badly affected, & that can make rehousing and cage cleaning easier. Still I'd minimize it. I didn't really worry about ease of handling wheni got most of mine & I don't miss it. Only my C versicolor has walked on my hand on multiple occasions & that was only because the cage was to small and he was trying to escape.
You can't generalize according to species, especially concerning handling or temperament.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This statement is not relevant when it comes to my big female E. campestratus. She is an eight legged bundle of defensiveness.

As for the topic, tarantulas do not benefit in any way whatsoever from handing, some may tolerate it to a point, but they will never gain anything from it.

Handling is stressful for the tarantula, not to mention selfish in a way as far as humans are concerned.

But for those that do it, it's your choice, albeit a risky one with multiple negatives and zero positives.
How often have you handled them? None of mine seemed stressed after handling. And you are correct, handling them is PURELY selfish. The tarantula gains nothing at all from it.

As for positives, that depends on how you look at new experiences.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How often have you handled them? None of mine seemed stressed after handling. And you are correct, handling them is PURELY selfish. The tarantula gains nothing at all from it.

As for positives, that depends on how you look at new experiences.
I did one time, ehen i got my first tarantula way back in september of 2014, but then I started spending more time on the forums (I wasn't a member of this one back then) and realized that what I did was not the brightest choice I ever made. If there was one positive that came of this, I instantly cured my arachnophobia. That's right I used to have the phobia.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I did one time, ehen i got my first tarantula way back in september of 2014, but then I started spending more time on the forums (I wasn't a member of this one back then) and realized that what I did was not the brightest choice I ever made. If there was one positive that came of this, I instantly cured my arachnophobia. That's right I used to have the phobia.
You know, now that I've been bitten, and I know new world venom is still worse then a wasp or scorpion(some scorpions:) ) I feel better about handling them. I know its not a big deal now. Field researchers use their hands all the time. O'l Stan Schultz was bitten several times, iirc..yet he survived ;) And even wrote a book that people swore by in this hobby for years, and still do. It's worth it to me. My next session will be with the pulchra that tagged me :D

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You know, now that I've been bitten, and I know new world venom is still worse then a wasp or scorpion(some scorpions:) ) I feel better about handling them. I know its not a big deal now. Field researchers use their hands all the time. O'l Stan Schultz was bitten several times, iirc..yet he survived ;) And even wrote a book that people swore by in this hobby for years, and still do. It's worth it to me. My next session will be with the pulchra that tagged me :D
I know about it, I interviewed Stan via email for a college report a couple years ago. (100% by the way)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He seems like a decent guy. The field guys always do, I'd like to meet Rick West, I bet that would be an interesting conversation. The do'ers have a bit more status in my eyes then the brainy deskers. No offense to nerds..:D I'd also like to meet Michael Jacobi, he's had some interesting field trips..and the wonderful folks that are studiously updating the US species..beautiful bastards, they did the Aphonopelma revisions. Hamilton, Hendrixson and Bond. Just imagine the work that took..that's dedication I could never posess..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When were you tagged bud? lol
My juvie female pulchra got me a few weeks ago. No biggy. But, unlike what you hear, its worse than a bee or a local, mild scorpion. Those are over in ten minutes..the pulchra venom bothered me more, and longer than that by 5-6 hours. No big deal, but t venom is funny..to me anyways. It attacks in waves. Maybe the lack of peptides makes humans fight harder. I felt it in waves..how bout the obt venom? You never made a proper bite report.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The thing with handling in the field is different then when they're in captivity. In the wild, you can be digging them out of a burrow 5 feet deep or one hundred feet off the ground of it's an arboreal. A paintbrush and catch cup may not be practical.

The other thing to realize is that a tarantula bite will be twice as bad as a wasp sting etc. They have 2 fangs, which means you get hit twice per bite not once.

I'd keep that in mind before messing with them. Still, if one had to handle and planned it carefully, you could use mechanics gloves or police tactical gloves. These are stab resistant and will also block urticating hairs. The police tactical gloves especially are smooth and very easy to clean.

If you are handling NW molts, especially T stirmi, I highly advise using them.