• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

G.rosea tree spider.

kaz

3 Year Member
I think my G. Rose considers her self arboreal.

Holding on for dear life at first:
WP_20150918_008.jpg

WP_20150918_009.jpg

WP_20150918_010.jpg

becomes the fav spot!!!
WP_20150921_001.jpg

even buddah is hesitant to watch!!!
WP_20150921_002.jpg

WP_20150921_004.jpg

Old fish tank decor came in useful abit ugly but she seems to like it, gives her more cover so she seems alot more active!!!
WP_20150921_005.jpg

anyways thought I share some okish photos!!!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Maybe because the set-up is more suitable for an arboreal? ;)

To be honest though, I would just switch that hide out for a log or cork round that you can bury in the substrate. If she falls from that height, it could be dangerous for her.

kaz

3 Year Member
it slopes up at the back so where she is isn't far from the ground!! Besides she seems happy with it. And its in my living room so rather stair at a tree stump all day than a plastic pot which would be all I have to replace it with. Don't know if its just where I live but corks expensive and don't see much wrong with it as is to b honest

kaz

3 Year Member
And just to add why I'm really not overly concerned if she fell. IV had her over a year and when I had the normal setup shed climb the glass and fall of all the time even ass first onto abit of drift wood shes now sitting on in there. That's all shed do climb the glass fall. Rather then add tones of dirt I added layers so the furthest drop is from the middle front and no more a greater drop than before. I haven't just stuck it in there I thought about how I could give her room to roam, hide and have cover in such a small space. So thanks for the criticism but its all been taken into consideration!!! Don't worry she is still alive

timc

3 Year Member
Just throwing this out there but is it possible she doesn't like the substrate? It looks like dry coco fiber to me, which I've read they like(never owned a Grammy) but I know some individuals can be just plain picky. But then again maybe she's an Avic trapped in a Grammy's body. What the hell do I know?

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Just because the tarantula hasn't fallen and been hurt yet doesn't mean it won't happen. Not to mention, internal injuries can't be seen.

Very nice looking tarantula!

garrim

3 Year Member
If you provide it, they will climb.

kaz said:
And its in my living room so rather stair at a tree stump all day than a plastic pot which would be all I have to replace it with.

Yes, because your entertainment is more important than the safety of the tarantula. It's your choice of course but I wouldn't expect sympathy from anyone if she falls and gets hurt or dies.

kaz

3 Year Member
no the safety isn't less important. Its been like this for awhile now and if I thought safety was compromised I would change it they clearly cant climb glass funny how iv seen many people with enclosures taller than mine not packed to the top and nothing said. Have you seriously got nothing better to do Tha pick holes it would be welcome criticism if its not put so sarcastically. You know people take it on board more readily that way. Its comments like yours that makes me not want to bother sharing in future. You don't know me or what I concider more important, so u know what you can do with your comment

Fleas

3 Year Member
Who said they can't climb glass my g porteri can she don't do it that often but she can

kaz

3 Year Member
And I forgot to mention as I have done tones of research that they shouldn't fall any more than twice there leg span so of she was to fall nowhere in her enclosure would provide that hight hence again why I havnt seen an overall problem with the way its setup

kaz

3 Year Member
yes obviously they can climb it but not well they slip off ha I was gna elaborate on that to as I thought that would be picked out but I thought it soul be obvious enough

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I'm sorry you feel as if you are being attacked, certainly wasn't my intent.

Every one is just trying to give you good advice for the safety of your tarantula. Perhaps the pics you've seen of enclosures not full of substrate were of arboreal set ups?

I know you haven't had a problem thus far but that's kind of like saying "I do drugs every day and I haven't died yet so they must be okay". All it takes is one time.

Please don't take this the wrong way, it just would be in the best interest of your tarantula to increase the substrate. Can't hurt anything and it would be cool to see what your tarantula does with all the extra substrate! My Porteri is a little bull dozer! It's cool to see all the moving she does with the substrate.

kaz

3 Year Member
heya, I didn't really take much offence only to the comment about my lack of care for the safety. IV had a rubbish week as is and kind of bit into that one. I have since considered adding additional substrate. aware of difference to arboreal setups but again didn't think the enclosure was that tall compared to some. Anyways thanks for your thoughtful reply!

garrim

3 Year Member
no the safety isn't less important. Its been like this for awhile now and if I thought safety was compromised I would change it they clearly cant climb glass funny how iv seen many people with enclosures taller than mine not packed to the top and nothing said. Have you seriously got nothing better to do Tha pick holes it would be welcome criticism if its not put so sarcastically. You know people take it on board more readily that way. Its comments like yours that makes me not want to bother sharing in future. You don't know me or what I concider more important, so u know what you can do with your comment

Just like how you can easily take my comment a certain way, your comment of "And its in my living room so rather stair at a tree stump all day than a plastic pot which would be all I have to replace it with." with no other clarifying remarks or elaboration is easily taken as "I'd rather have something neat to look at than what would be safer for the animal." It goes both ways. And that's exactly why I said what I said.

Yes, other people have very tall tanks with little substrate for a terrestrial species... that doesn't make it right or ok to do. If they have a tarantula that survives their care in those conditions they are merely lucky that nothing happened. Just like you have been, so far. You can bet I'll point it out to anyone with a similar set-up, and so will anybody else that knows better when they see it. Notice how multiple people said the same thing about it being unsafe, it's clearly enough of a concern for people to speak up and it's for a reason. We aren't making it up.

Pretty much all tarantulas can climb glass, including G. rosea. You say "they clearly can't climb glass" and then later in a follow-up reply "yes obviously they can climb it but not well they slip off ha I was gna elaborate on that to as I thought that would be picked out but I thought it soul be obvious enough." Well, it's not obvious at all when someone says something completely wrong and matter-of-fact and doesn't clarify until later. Just like it wasn't obvious you didn't prefer looks over safety in your statement which I responded to originally. For someone so quick to point how things can be taken maybe you should consider the things you are typing out before you click on "post reply." Would probably save you some frustration in the future.

I do have better things to do most of the time, but when I do have time to come on a forum I plan on reading and commenting and participating - which is the entire point of a forum. I don't know you at all, that's true, and you don't know me either... which has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the subject of the discussion.

I sincerely apologize if my comment was too harsh with sarcasm, I really do. It was only to make a point based on your own badly worded reply. However, honestly, if a little bit of seriously watered down sarcasm is enough to make you not share things in the future, you need to get some thicker skin and realize this is the internet. You'll encounter all kinds of people, including sarcastic assholes like myself. When you say incorrect things, someone will inevitably correct you. Welcome to life and interacting with other people.

kaz

3 Year Member
what do u want a tap on the back, no my replies arnt always clearly written but I don't see why I should have to justify or elaborate on every single key detail. Oh I'm sorry I should have elaborated and put they cant climb glass WELL. I wrote they cant climb glass because they fall off. But againmy bad thought it be obvious as id previously said shed climb the glass and fall off! Believe it or not I've thicker skin then most but my tolerance to"sarcastic a**holes" as you so right fully put it is pretty minimal. I come on here to enjoy tho hobby why is it my fault taking offense maybe if you come across with a more friendly approach then your comment would have been welcome and appreciated. Why would I change my setup when I didn't see a problem with it. Which I stated if you want to go over my post with a fine comb again. I'm guessing your all for the heated discussions as you saw an opportunity in my poorly written post and jumped all over it like a dog with a bone. And probably with the hopes for appraisal from your other tarantula enthusiast's. Well done you you made an example of a truly terrible tarantula keeper, good job well done

Last edited:

garrim

3 Year Member
Also this:

kaz said:
And I forgot to mention as I have done tones of research that they shouldn't fall any more than twice there leg span so of she was to fall nowhere in her enclosure would provide that hight hence again why I havnt seen an overall problem with the way its setup

If your tarantula has a 4" legspan then you are talking an 8" fall going by that horrible information. A tarantula of that size can be injured severely from a fall of even half that height. Please stop getting your information from wherever you heard that.

kaz

3 Year Member
. Can I ask where you got yours from like my tarantula died I dropped it from said height or do you guess by the mere fact that they can rupture from a short fall. IV looked and I can't find much on that ill give you size in cm of the enclosure if you like would that help.

garrim

3 Year Member
what do u want a tap on the back, no my replies arnt always clearly written but I don't see why I should have to justify or elaborate on every single key detail. Oh I'm sorry I should have elaborated and put they cant climb glass WELL. Believe it or not I've thicker skin then most but my tolerance to"sarcastic a**holes" as you so right fully put it is pretty minimal. I come on here to enjoy tho hobby why is it my fault taking offense maybe if you come across with a more friendly approach then your comment would have been welcome and appreciated if I'm so in the wrong for coming across the wrong way well as the saying goes people in glass houses n all that!!

If you would like to avoid people taking exactly what you say in your own words the wrong way, then yes, you should probably elaborate in the future. Or, at the very least, not say half-assed, incorrect things and then just expect it to be obvious you didn't mean exactly what you, in fact, said. Forgive me for not reading between some imaginary lines you never eluded to and going literally on the words you posted with nothing else to go on.

It's like you saying "the sky is yellow" and then when someone says "it's blue," you come back with "well I thought it was obvious I meant it was blue." Do you really think that makes any sense as a way to go about discussing things? Can you really blame me for taking your exact words at face value?

I didn't come across the wrong way, at all. I meant every ounce of sarcasm and I knew exactly what I was doing when I posted it. You have every right to not appreciate the way I went about it. But, sarcasm aside, you said one thing, I responded to exactly what you said. That, in particular, is entirely your fault for not being specific. One single word, "cant climb glass WELL" and that misunderstanding could have been avoided entirely. In the case of the post I replied to originally, a few words would have gone a long way to avoid this entire ordeal. Had you been more specific I would have never responded in the first place, honestly. Think about that.

Latest posts