• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Tartulas, need your experienced advice and opinion.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll be honest, coco peat is universal. I dont like the consistency, dry coco dust eats ****. Its powdery crap and if I were a spider I wouldn't **** on it. But it has good qualities, like mold resistance. You wanna see mold? Use real field dirt or topsoil, which I love. It molds quick as hell but if you experiment with vermiculite/coco peat/topsoil mixes you can find a very happy medium. You'll see what I mean after awhile. It really comes down to personal taste. You'll see.

joesTs

I'll be honest, coco peat is universal. I dont like the consistency, dry coco dust eats ****. Its powdery crap and if I were a spider I wouldn't **** on it. But it has good qualities, like mold resistance. You wanna see mold? Use real field dirt or topsoil, which I love. It molds quick as hell but if you experiment with vermiculite/coco peat/topsoil mixes you can find a very happy medium. You'll see what I mean after awhile. It really comes down to personal taste. You'll see.
When they are slings, I think I will use pure Coco fiber. And I wanna set up an enclosure with no spider inside and experiment with different combinations that way I can see which one works the best for me. Does it sound like a good idea or am I just wasting my time.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use coco fibre for all of mine and it never ceases to amaze me just how solid their construction are. I have had tiny slings, under 0.5" clear the whole of the bottom of a 1" vial of substrate, holding the whole lot up with their web including a floating piece of cork bark. They can turn the finest substrate into a home with solid walls and ceilings. No fear of collapse.

This is what my Chilobrachys sp Nong Ya Plong has constructed in less than 48 hours after rehousing. Its main entrance is at the other side of the cork but it has one to the left of the picture too, both 1" diameter. Both tunnels lead into a chamber under the cork which has been opened up right to the side of the container so I can see in.
DSCF6974 (2).JPG

joesTs

I use coco fibre for all of mine and it never ceases to amaze me just how solid their construction are. I have had tiny slings, under 0.5" clear the whole of the bottom of a 1" vial of substrate, holding the whole lot up with their web including a floating piece of cork bark. They can turn the finest substrate into a home with solid walls and ceilings. No fear of collapse.

This is what my Chilobrachys sp Nong Ya Plong has constructed in less than 48 hours after rehousing. Its main entrance is at the other side of the cork but it has one to the left of the picture too, both 1" diameter. Both tunnels lead into a chamber under the cork which has been opened up right to the side of the container so I can see in.
View attachment 31717
Impressive. I rehydrated a brick yesterday and saw that it is Rich in fibers, so I was sure that along with the webbing of a spider it will hold a borrow nicely and firmly

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Impressive. I rehydrated a brick yesterday and saw that it is Rich in fibers, so I was sure that along with the webbing of a spider it will hold a borrow nicely and firmly

It's one of the things that fascinates me most about Ts, the different ways they construct their homes and the speed at which they do it.

schmoopsy

Joe

My wife and I cook the outdoor bark at a low 200 degrees for 10 to 15 min (while keeping an eye on it). For our Ts. We have 13. I would say get the Mexican Red Knee. That was our first and shes amazing. The other beginner T I would recommend is the Rose Hair or a Desert Blond.

If you are going for wow then the Versicolor is awesome. Easy to care for. Another wow is a dwarf T called the Pumpkin Patch Large. Its a small T but the coloring is amazing. Again easy to care for and since its a dwarf it doesn't need much space.

No matter what you choose good luck and enjoy your new Ts.

joesTs

Joe

My wife and I cook the outdoor bark at a low 200 degrees for 10 to 15 min (while keeping an eye on it). For our Ts. We have 13. I would say get the Mexican Red Knee. That was our first and shes amazing. The other beginner T I would recommend is the Rose Hair or a Desert Blond.

If you are going for wow then the Versicolor is awesome. Easy to care for. Another wow is a dwarf T called the Pumpkin Patch Large. Its a small T but the coloring is amazing. Again easy to care for and since its a dwarf it doesn't need much space.

No matter what you choose good luck and enjoy your new Ts.
Thank you for the great advice. Already ordered my Ts, however I will definitely check the dwarf species for my next order. I wanted a desert blond, but it was hard to come by over here in Europe.

bbbs53

3 Year Member
B Boehmei is an easy to care for spider, not so much for handling due to the irritating bristles they pack. Coco fiber is easy to get and a renewable resource, they make it their own quickly and it doesn't promote bugs or mold, a good thing. The humidity level for slings is more important than for a more mature spider, usually the water dish and saran wrap on the cover will keep it around 40% once they graduate to a larger enclosure. Good luck with your slings, you won't regret taking on any of the ones on your list. These spiders provide a lot of interest for the lucky keepers and don't take a lot of time in doing so. Many of the folks on this board are really knowledgeable about keeping them, just ask and someone will help you out quickly.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have 14 Hapolopus sp. (Columbia) "pumpkin patch". Though they are easy to care for they are not a good first time tarantula. They aren't defensive or aggressive but they are extremely fast. They enjoy bolting out of their enclosures and hiding in your house. If your ready for a challenge and you've done your homework they could make a good second or third tarantula.
IMG-20180414-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20180414-WA0003.jpg
20180314_140250.jpg
20180729_141140.jpg

joesTs

Hey everyone. Thank you for all your advice, I finally received my Ts today .These are pictures of 2 of them. They stayed a week in transit and thank goodness all survived.
20180903_174114.jpg
20180903_210445.jpg

joesTs

Hello everyone, my b.vagans sling has molted this morning. She looks beautiful.

Attachments

• 20180926_180551.jpg
    20180926_180551.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 24

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
PS. I don't know if she is a she but I am referring to her as she. :) So rewarding!
She's too big for that enclosure. Vagans are more active, and more reclusive, than the rest of their genus..I know, its a double negative, but its true. They act like more of a Phormictopus sp than a Brachy..and require the same care..

joesTs

She's too big for that enclosure. Vagans are more active, and more reclusive, than the rest of their genus..I know, its a double negative, but its true. They act like more of a Phormictopus sp than a Brachy..and require the same care..
Heard loud and clear, I will set up an enclosure for her tomorrow, 20x20x20 cm is that too large?

joesTs

Nope, not at all. Vagans burrow more than the other brachys, mine is almost full grown and still hides during the day, but does major remodeling at night. Fantastic sp, way under rated.
She is beautiful and I guess she will always holds a special place even if my collection grew, being the first t I ever saw adult coloration on