• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Tartulas, need your experienced advice and opinion.

joesTs

So, I have decided to become a tarantula collector.

I have done my research and learned all the scientific denominations and differences between Ts and how to keep them ( humidity, temperature, sling care, feeding, molting...).
I have checked my surroundings and made sure I have everything I need to begin (substrate, enclosures, crickets, worms...).
Now I want to order 4 slings, I decided to order these 4:
1. Brachypelma boehmei 2cm
2. Brachypelma emilia 1cm
3. Brachypelma Hamorii 2cm
4.GBB, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 3.5cm

Before I place my order, I would love your opinion. Especially for enclosure sizes, I know the theory of it but still, I feel anxious.
I found small crickets to feed them, but don't know if crickets or worms are better.
PS. I don't mind ordering more or less or event changing species, but I love brachypelmas! I want to order more than one cause the shipping cost is equivalent to the price of two slings and a bit more.

Thanks, everyone.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fantastic choices. You want to keep slings in small, well ventilated enclosures. I like the acrylic boxes from hobby lobby. Worms are a much more efficient food for slings than crickets, but either works. I cut up superworms for tiny slings. Good luck with your slings, and welcome to the jungle.

joesTs

Thanks for the advice, I will get worms then. The glass cubes look really nice and well done. I was thinking to substitute the GBB with a nhandu, (chromatus maybe) what do you guys think? I know I am asking a lot but no one shares my passion here lol.

Inky

Thanks for the advice, I will get worms then. The glass cubes look really nice and well done. I was thinking to substitute the GBB with a nhandu, (chromatus maybe) what do you guys think? I know I am asking a lot but no one shares my passion here lol.

Ask away! thats what the forum is for!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I still don't have a GBB but I can tell you that Nhandu chromatus can be very excitable.

Last edited:

T-Baby

3 Year Member
Versicolour in my opinion so far seems fairly chilled, people usually say they’re harder to keep then the likes of Brachypelma and Grammostola’s just because they’re faster but as a sling they really aren’t that bad and taking procaution such as feeding inside a container etc you shouldn’t have any escapes!
I’d say the list you want is perfect though, Granmostola’s are also one to consider, some beautiful species and cared for much like Brachypelmas!

joesTs

I love brachypelmas, and I wanna have a collection of all of them. But the only thing I am worried about is that they may grow slow. So I would love a beginner species that grows relatively fast giving time for my brachypelma slings to grow.

T-Baby

3 Year Member
Yeah they do grow at a slow rate but it’s nice to see them grow up, like a proud parent :)

I’m unsure of fast growing species that would be suitable for you but I’m sure someone here can shed some light!

joesTs

Good point. Maybe it is for the better, that way I can perfect tarantula care. A small question corck bark or another alternative? I found it on Amazon and it was like 115 euros which is a bit expensive for what it is.

T-Baby

3 Year Member
Cork bark is expensive unless you can get some second hand? I actually buy really really small pieces for my slings and it costs hardly nothing from shops as they charge by weight.

An alternative I do is go foraging in the forest for wood, sticks, bark etc... I soak them in boiling hot water, scrub every part with a toothbrush and leave to dry for a week.
I’ve been doing this for 10 years with every reptile I’ve had not just Tarantulas and the good part is that you get some absolutely beautiful pieces of wood when cleaned up only con is that you actually have to do it yourself but make a day of it! Take your dog with you and your children if you have any! It makes for a good day out as well as productive :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I love brachypelmas, and I wanna have a collection of all of them. But the only thing I am worried about is that they may grow slow. So I would love a beginner species that grows relatively fast giving time for my brachypelma slings to grow.

If you want a fast growing T that gets big, a Lasiodora parahybana is a good bet for beginners

joesTs

Actually I did plan next weekend up the mountains with my son and wife. And wonted to collect some leaf litter. So now I will collect some nice pieces of wood too. You didn't have any issue with mold or mites?and do you think that after cleaning it and letting it dry, should I like microwave it before I put it in an enclosure?

T-Baby

3 Year Member
I don’t personally microwave it because I have so much already that I can wait weeks and weeks for my next lot but I know many people do microwave theirs or freeze them

Mold only seems to occur when the moisture is super high, so every month or so I just scoop the substrate surrounding the bark etc throw it away and replace it. I’m only talking from my experience though

joesTs

I can still do that though, as a precaution. Scoop the substrate around the bark. Another thing that I am torn about is, for slings, should I have a water dish or is just wetting a corner of the substrate along with one side of the enclosure enough?

T-Baby

3 Year Member
I damped one corner every week for my Brachypelmas as they prefer a drier substrate but I alternate it so you aren’t keeping the same corner constantly wet because it’ll encourage mold.
I have water dishes in my adults tanks and all they do is tip it over lol

Latest posts