• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First egg sack .Sooo so excited !!!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all
2 pm today after I got myself mentaly prepared put enclosure on the floor surrounded myself with few empty cricket tubs (catch cups) and good assortment of brushes and tweezers metal and bamboo ones and prepared for a fight.When I started pulling the dirt curtain on the front of the burrow little by little saw a pair of legs waiting for me to get closer.After clearing most of it I started to pull the silk on the entrance.On the first touch I got a slap through it by angry mum.Anyway still not crapping my pants yet.As I removed it saw mum left the sack behind and was ready for a fight too a pair of black fangs and a threat posture.Switched to a brush touching the substrate and tip of her legs hoping she will chase me and come out to cap her.I wished but she had different plans.We went arround 15 minutes me tapping her gently with the brush and her passionately slapping and striking it, clinging to it and trying to pull in in the burrow ,boy she was well pissed off at that point and Im crapping my pants a little.Hahahs
After that she backed off a little and I had a glimpse of the sack.Went for it with the bamboo tweezers but the tips a chunky and don't have good grip so that didn't work out.As soon as I touched it mum jumped on it and took it at the bottom of the burrow.That was not cool of her at all.Cork hide is nearly 30cm long and my tweezers only 25cm.lol
Tried putting a bamboo skewer trough the substrate on the side of the enclosure to touch her to move towards the entrance but she kept it cool and that didn't happen unfortunately.After failed attempts to tease her out I started scooping her and the sack in her fangs towards the entrance using the opened bamboo tweesers .Managed to move her a thirs of the way.At that point it became clear for both of us that she will cling to the sack in her fangs rather that striking at me.Swapped to metal tweezers for better grip pinched the silk on the sack and started pulling them both out very very slowly.She tried to anchor herself on the cork bark with using her legs all the time but she was no match for me.lol
The sack went towards the entrance and as I pulled it out in the open she released her fangs ouf it with only two tree legs clinging on.
Took a tub to block her off from leaving the burrow and freed the sack of her final grip.
Thats what we call result.No too bad for a novice keeper.lol
Here is a pic of the bad boy after almost an hour of striggle.
View attachment 44627

And another one at @Phil with the sack opened.The most gorgeous thing ever.
View attachment 44629
Thanks for reading and sorry for not being able to take photos during the process but was in an adrenaline rush and wanted to make sure mum is safe at all times.
Hope now Phil will continue updating to be able to follow their development.
Regards Konstantin
very detailed account. LOL I bet you were sweating bullets. ha ha.

Sac is in incubator and will keep everyone updated :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Congratulations on becoming a dad . Keep us all updated
Hi
Thank you.
The sack is with Phil now as Im not interested in raising large amount of spiderlings nor I have the confidence to do so.But will have few to try to raise to adulthood.
Thats why I posted a link to his thread so people interested can keep track on the updates.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
After @Phil doing a great job incubating the eggs further this is where we are now.My own T. Albopilosus communal lol
20200529_093222.jpg

Arent they absolutely adorable!!!
Now waiting for them to molt and harden before separating them in their own little enclosures.
Regards Konstantin

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all
After @Phil doing a great job incubating the eggs further this is where we are now.My own T. Albopilosus communal lol
View attachment 46343
Arent they absolutely adorable!!!
Now waiting for them to molt and harden before separating them in their own little enclosures.
Regards Konstantin
if anyone wants to see a close up. follow this link.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Will love to see them.Mine have been busy.There is a bit of webbing in the pot too.
I had to replace the tissue few days ago as overdid the watter and got some black spots on the old tissue(probably start of mould)
Im a bit more careful now.
Regards Konstantin

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Will love to see them.Mine have been busy.There is a bit of webbing in the pot too.
I had to replace the tissue few days ago as overdid the watter and got some black spots on the old tissue(probably start of mould)
Im a bit more careful now.
Regards Konstantin
yeah, I replace the tissue regularly (should have mentioned that....my bad)
The others had created a little web cocoon as well when I changed the paper at the weekend so they are not long off their first proper moult.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
The little ones have settled well in the new homes.
Forgot to mention that during the rehouse one of them had a leg stuck in the moult.I held the moult with the tweezers for few seconds and it cast it off but still going strong with 7 legs.
Fed them today their first ever meals.Due to not able to get cricket hatchlings near me I offered cricket parts of slightly bigger crickets and all of them are stuffing their faces in 20 min after the offering.
20200620_112501.jpg
20200620_112456.jpg

Thanks for reading.
Regards Konstantin

Latest posts