• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First egg sack .Sooo so excited !!!

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
Not long ago bought a female Tliltocatl albopilosus from @Phil.
On the day of sale he told me that she was paired and is possible to get a sack at some point.Never gave it a second thought tbh.She is a lovely lady and was eating like a champ always out and about till 28th February when she closed herself in the burrow.Luckily leaving a peep hole for me to check on her.My initial thought was moulting but there was that slight feeling of hope she will make a sac.And at some point last two days she did(Last checked on her 2 days ago and was nothing there)I am not confident and totally unprepared to care for large number of young slings.And tbh I only have adults atm.Luckily Phil is there for me to advice me and eventually have it and raise them if all goes well during their time with me for which I am so grateful.Top bloke what else to say.

Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all
Not long ago bought a female Tliltocatl albopilosus from @Phil.
On the day of sale he told me that she was paired and is possible to get a sack at some point.Never gave it a second thought tbh.She is a lovely lady and was eating like a champ always out and about till 28th February when she closed herself in the burrow.Luckily leaving a peep hole for me to check on her.My initial thought was moulting but there was that slight feeling of hope she will make a sac.And at some point last two days she did(Last checked on her 2 days ago and was nothing there)I am not confident and totally unprepared to care for large number of young slings.And tbh I only have adults atm.Luckily Phil is there for me to advice me and eventually have it and raise them if all goes well during their time with me for which I am so grateful.Top bloke what else to say.

Regards Konstantin
Yep, at point of sale, the previous pairing was mentioned and so it will be good to have some babies back. LOL
@Konstantine and I are lucky to be relatively close to each other so I will help him all the way and incubate the final stages etc etc

Will be good to keep this thread active to see how things work out. :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
What a fabulous experience to be having, and with a great species. One of my favourites. Albo slings are adorable. One of mine moulted today, and that one came from Phil too.
Yes that is so true.Its so exciting indeed.I am pretty green in the hobby so almost everything is first time for me.I am yet to have a moult of a T in my care as they are all adults but see one comming as my LP has been very lethargic lately and her abdomen skin seems kind of dark.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Yes that is so true.Its so exciting indeed.I am pretty green in the hobby so almost everything is first time for me.I am yet to have a moult of a T in my care as they are all adults but see one comming as my LP has been very lethargic lately and her abdomen skin seems kind of dark.

I was also very excited to have that 1st moult happen,after all it's such an important event in a tarantula's life. I still get excited when they moult. It's awesome seeing the growth and how nice they look in their shiny new clothes :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Yep, at point of sale, the previous pairing was mentioned and so it will be good to have some babies back. LOL
@Konstantine and I are lucky to be relatively close to each other so I will help him all the way and incubate the final stages etc etc

Will be good to keep this thread active to see how things work out. :)
Will try my best to post updates.Even will try to snap few pics if I can. You said to try and rise the temp from 23 to 25°C if I can.Is this a must or 23 will do? I will not be able to heat the room only.Will have to use a heat mat but don't really want to tbh.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Will try my best to post updates.Even will try to snap few pics if I can. You said to try and rise the temp from 23 to 25°C if I can.Is this a must or 23 will do? I will not be able to heat the room only.Will have to use a heat mat but don't really want to tbh.
it would be ideal if you could. slightly lower may slow development down but I dont think 23° would actually stop them developing. Hopefully ambient temps are on the rise slightly anyway.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all

@Phil temperature is now 25°C dropping to 24°C at night.Unable to get pic as she closed herself in the burrow and the peep hole is too small but the sack is still there and that must be good sign.Does she need water while with sack?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all

@Phil temperature is now 25°C dropping to 24°C at night.Unable to get pic as she closed herself in the burrow and the peep hole is too small but the sack is still there and that must be good sign.Does she need water while with sack?
That's fine temp wise. She will close herself in as she is protecting the sac. Always leave fresh water out and if you want to move it nearer the hide, that is fine. she may or may not drink but at least she has the option. :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I only ask as saw some posts that they drawn the sack sometimes and some breeders pull waterdishes out for that reason.Too much stuff to read online and you just dont know .lol
Mine always have full water bowl available.
Live and learn,live and learn.
Regards Konstantin

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I only ask as saw some posts that they drawn the sack sometimes and some breeders pull waterdishes out for that reason.Too much stuff to read online and you just dont know .lol
Mine always have full water bowl available.
Live and learn,live and learn.
Regards Konstantin
no two spiders are the same at the end of the day. One person's success is another person's failure. Do what feels right.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Always leave water available. I usually cover the enclosure with a towel to trap more humidity for the eggs...your looking for at least 50%...60% is what I aim for. Remember the humidity is always higher in the burrow. In my experiences she will never leave the sack for anything (food or water) unless the sack is bad.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi it might be a coincidence but she sealed off and dropped the sack when I added a lil more moisture than usual.Top is dry but there is good amount of moisture in bottom layers now.Also she left a hole that is covered with silk for ventilation of her burrow.Will snap few pics of the enclosure next time I check on her as dont want to disturb her too often by moving the enclosure
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
A little update on the situation.She has been a great mother keeping the sack under her all the time.Providing water dish was a wise thing to do as she have drunk at least twice since she laid the sack. Her abdomen is so tiny atm.First time was arround day 14.I did not see her but she opened the burrow by tearing the silk curtain .And again on day 28 when I saw her out .I was about to cap her and take the sack but by the time I got a catch cup she was back in her hide and took the sack underneath her. As I am transporting the sack today thought will leave it with her to take care of it for another 3 days.So today is day 31 the temperature has been between23-26.5 °C.
Being my first time pulling sack Im a bit nervous but @Phil has been a great support and gave me loads of good advice.Im getting myself prepared for all sorts of scenarios as dont really know what to expect from mum. I will wrestle mum and pull the sack early afternoon.Wish me luck and will try to get few pics if I am able too but of course the safety of mum and myself comes first.
Will update later today how it all went.
Regards Konstantin

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all
A little update on the situation.She has been a great mother keeping the sack under her all the time.Providing water dish was a wise thing to do as she have drunk at least twice since she laid the sack. Her abdomen is so tiny atm.First time was arround day 14.I did not see her but she opened the burrow by tearing the silk curtain .And again on day 28 when I saw her out .I was about to cap her and take the sack but by the time I got a catch cup she was back in her hide and took the sack underneath her. As I am transporting the sack today thought will leave it with her to take care of it for another 3 days.So today is day 31 the temperature has been between23-26.5 °C.
Being my first time pulling sack Im a bit nervous but @Phil has been a great support and gave me loads of good advice.Im getting myself prepared for all sorts of scenarios as dont really know what to expect from mum. I will wrestle mum and pull the sack early afternoon.Wish me luck and will try to get few pics if I am able too but of course the safety of mum and myself comes first.
Will update later today how it all went.
Regards Konstantin
Best of luck with Mum. Safety first is always the best approach. :):T: x hundreds hopefully!

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
2 pm today after I got myself mentaly prepared put enclosure on the floor surrounded myself with few empty cricket tubs (catch cups) and good assortment of brushes and tweezers metal and bamboo ones and prepared for a fight.When I started pulling the dirt curtain on the front of the burrow little by little saw a pair of legs waiting for me to get closer.After clearing most of it I started to pull the silk on the entrance.On the first touch I got a slap through it by angry mum.Anyway still not crapping my pants yet.As I removed it saw mum left the sack behind and was ready for a fight too a pair of black fangs and a threat posture.Switched to a brush touching the substrate and tip of her legs hoping she will chase me and come out to cap her.I wished but she had different plans.We went arround 15 minutes me tapping her gently with the brush and her passionately slapping and striking it, clinging to it and trying to pull in in the burrow ,boy she was well pissed off at that point and Im crapping my pants a little.Hahahs
After that she backed off a little and I had a glimpse of the sack.Went for it with the bamboo tweezers but the tips a chunky and don't have good grip so that didn't work out.As soon as I touched it mum jumped on it and took it at the bottom of the burrow.That was not cool of her at all.Cork hide is nearly 30cm long and my tweezers only 25cm.lol
Tried putting a bamboo skewer trough the substrate on the side of the enclosure to touch her to move towards the entrance but she kept it cool and that didn't happen unfortunately.After failed attempts to tease her out I started scooping her and the sack in her fangs towards the entrance using the opened bamboo tweesers .Managed to move her a third of the way.At that point it became clear for both of us that she will cling to the sack in her fangs rather that striking at me.Swapped to metal tweezers for better grip pinched the silk on the sack and started pulling them both out very very slowly.She tried to anchor herself on the cork bark with using her legs all the time but she was no match for me.lol
The sack went towards the entrance and as I pulled it out in the open she released her fangs ouf it with only two tree legs clinging on.
Took a tub to block her off from leaving the burrow and freed the sack of her final grip.
Thats what we call result.No too bad for a novice keeper.lol
Here is a pic of the bad boy after almost an hour of struggle .
20200408_153405.jpg

And another one at @Phil with the sack opened.The most gorgeous thing ever.
IMG-20200408-WA0000.jpg

Thanks for reading and sorry for not being able to take photos during the process but was in an adrenaline rush and wanted to make sure mum is safe at all times.
Hope now Phil will continue updating to be able to follow their development.
Regards Konstantin

Attachments

• 20200408_153405.jpg
    20200408_153405.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Latest posts