• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding your aboreals...

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd think that'd help but I'll be getting my first avic this week so i'm just guessing :) everything i've read and heard in these forums is they like webbing at the top.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you think I should add some additional plants up towards the top?
I use plastic vines up top to provide extra anchor points for webbing. Swimbait is right though, the enclosure is rather large. It's not a huge issue, it's not like you put a 2 inch spider in there, but it is almost certainly contributing to the lack of webbing. Avics just seem to settle in more easily and thus web more in more appropriately sized enclosures. It's obviously up to you if you don't want to move it to something smaller, but you may have to deal with not seeing much webbing. Good luck.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you think I should add some additional plants up towards the top?
I have two A avics that don't web, except to make a molt mat on top of their plants. The rest of the time they roam the walls. You can tong feed her if you don't want to drop prey in and let her hunt. They get squirrely sometimes and climb the tongs, just let them. Don't pull away, they'll stop when they reach your hand. You have to be steady and willing to take an accidental bite though. They will hunt on the ground stace,and even dig up dubia. I understand where you're coming from though, a good keeper wants to know their spiders are eating.

swimbait

3 Year Member
I definitely think adding more plants up top would help, seems pretty easy too. You could just stick the end of the plant through the screen and hot glue it on. I would cover the 3 top walls with plants personally, it would provide much more comfort for the T. Even after that though, you may just have an avic that would rather just hang on the wall

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Re reading old posts, think I'm going to get some nice things to hang in my avics enclosure, she seems happy and eats well but she doesnt web other then the tiny web dance when she takes her food.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great news! My little rescue is eating and webbing ( not much but it's a start with the webbing) she took a huge roach- I will try and post pictures when I get home! Thank you for all your support and encouragement :)
So good to hear :)

SasyStace

3 Year Member
TA DA!!

Attachments

• tmp_5635-20160106_071752-181801809.jpg
    tmp_5635-20160106_071752-181801809.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
My A. avic. hasn't webbed in a long time. She spends her time on the glass, moving every so often a few inches to the right or left. Sometimes, she's feeling daring, and climbs through the artificial plants provided in her enclosure. Of all my Ts, she is the biggest pet rock. That being said, she still manages to find a cricket that roams on the substrate. I've watched her stalk her prey a few times, but I liken it to be similar to watching golf.

Bugmom

3 Year Member
My Avic diversipes has been in it's current enclosure for about three weeks, and nary a sign of a web.

Avics are weird. Seems like some web everything and others are like "whatever."

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Avic diversipes has been in it's current enclosure for about three weeks, and nary a sign of a web.

Avics are weird. Seems like some web everything and others are like "whatever."
A.diversipes is usually a pretty heavy webber, I don't know what your set-up looks like, but if you give it a few more weeks I am almost certain you will start to see some pretty significant webbing. I personally think that some people are just a tad too impatient with their Avics tbh : p A.diversipes is really a bit of an oddball species, in that many experts debate whether or not it's actually a species of Avicularia at all. Quite a few seem to think it belongs in the Iridopelma genus. So I don't really think it's quite the best example to use when discussing Avics and their webbing habits. I totally realize you were just sharing some of your personal experiences here so please don't think of this response as a personal jab at you. I definitely agree with you about Avics in general being weird when it comes to how much and when they web.

swimbait

3 Year Member
I want one of the avics that webs everything, I've had plent of avics that definitely web and make there homes. Yet there are those out there that web every part of the cage possible, I want one of them!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so far my A. versicolor has just been sitting on one of the leaves about half way up the enclosure. I'm hoping he likes his new home and will start webbing soon. :)

Latest posts