• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding your aboreals...

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I've seen post after post about Avics not webbing much, well it's true for mine. It's only been a month in her new home and she did just molt and it's only been a week and a half since the molt.... but I just want to say I hate not having Web to toss prey into. She is the only T I have difficulty offering food. Any suggestions for easier feed monitoring? Pro's or Con's

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I think I'm pissy about it because I've only got burrowing prey at the moment. . Lol. I need to go get crickets. Also I don't like not seeing my T's feeding from time to time. I should be thankful she's happy and molting.

Bugmom

3 Year Member
I think I'm pissy about it because I've only got burrowing prey at the moment. . Lol. I need to go get crickets. Also I don't like not seeing my T's feeding from time to time. I should be thankful she's happy and molting.
Burrowing feeders are definitely a headache with any tarantula that doesn't pounce on anything that moves. You can try squishing the head just enough to prevent it from burrowing, but still wiggle around.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Use crickets or non-burrowing roaches. Superworms and mealworms are too much of a hassle in my opinion to use for arboreals, since they don't climb. What's your set-up like? Could you possibly get a pic? The tarantula might just need time before it feels like webbing. My amazonica never webbed much in its first enclosure, when I moved it into a 1 gal jar after it hit 2 inches, it started webbing a lot.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Yep, burrowing prey doesn't help. My avic is an aggressive feeder and feeds from the tongs almost every time. I'm also curious what your set up is like? A few times before I have had avics that barely web, once I housed them in flipped over amac boxes so that all the decorations were at the top of the cage, it started webbing a bunch. I gave the same advice to someone, I think on this forum, a year ago when their avic wasn't webbing and it worked out really well

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Here is her home, she molted in this and then destroyed her webbing and that's the only time she webbed

Attachments

• tmp_31844-20151231_174631-596006004.jpg
    tmp_31844-20151231_174631-596006004.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
do the avic tong feed well? or just toss it in and let them find it?

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I've tried to tong feed her once and she was in premolt so I don't really know, my other Avic is a tiny little thing and a beast eater and webber so I've never attempted, i just toss it in the Web

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've tried to tong feed her once and she was in premolt so I don't really know, my other Avic is a tiny little thing and a beast eater and webber so I've never attempted, i just toss it in the Web
Just tossed a cricket in with my A purperea, must have thought it was being attacked as flipped backwards but still managed to catch the cricket in its fangs and correct itself before chowing down. ...lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just tossed a cricket in with my A purperea, must have thought it was being attacked as flipped backwards but still managed to catch the cricket in its fangs and correct itself before chowing down. ...lol
Sounds more like it was showing off. Look what i can do! Backflip, mid air fang snag, and the landing... she sticks it!! ;)

swimbait

3 Year Member
I would think an avic would find a spot to web in that enclosure, how big is the T and what are the enclosure dimensions? I have found most avics to not prefer larger cages, at least they web less in them

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds more like it was showing off. Look what i can do! Backflip, mid air fang snag, and the landing... she sticks it!! ;)
Ha ha....you may be right. Funny post that made me giggle. Needed that. Cheers ☺

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would think an avic would find a spot to web in that enclosure, how big is the T and what are the enclosure dimensions? I have found most avics to not prefer larger cages, at least they web less in them
This is an excellent point. I have found this to very true as well.

swimbait

3 Year Member
18 x 6 x 9 and she's approx. 4 inches after her molt last week

That is a pretty large enclosure. It may or may not be your problem, I personally think it is though. Not often do you see large avic enclosures filled with web. Maybe once it hardens up after this molt it will decide to web.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Well I guess it's all about being patient, i think her enclosure is appropriate and she is very new. She did molt in this so I'm sure she's happy and will settle in soon. Oh and definitely going back to crickets ;) thanks everyone

SasyStace

3 Year Member
That is a pretty large enclosure. It may or may not be your problem, I personally think it is though. Not often do you see large avic enclosures filled with web. Maybe once it hardens up after this molt it will decide to web.
Shoot and here I thought it was appropriate I didn't think 6 inches across was too big and I figured 18 inches with about 3 1/2 of that home to substrate was appropriate. .. she's stuck with it now hahaha. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Latest posts