• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enn's bunch - the legless ones

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You know why they call them "blood" pythons, don't you? :)

(That's rhetorical…)

I just read the whole thread and it sounds like you know and love all our local snakes here.

Your two are gorgeous!

I just picked up my new one this morning. Unicolor cribo. My daughter named it Star.

When I got my 1st blood everyone said I was mad, they had such a bad reputation but the 1st time I took him to our Reptile Night they were all stunned that I had a handleable one. The secret is to handle them regularly when they're small. Ular's great although he did huff at me today because I woke him up.
I take it that you mean an Eastern Indigo? They lovely looking snakes.
I'm getting a Baron's Racer from @LC72 once they've hatched and fed.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
When I got my 1st blood everyone said I was mad, they had such a bad reputation but the 1st time I took him to our Reptile Night they were all stunned that I had a handleable one. The secret is to handle them regularly when they're small. Ular's great although he did huff at me today because I woke him up.
I take it that you mean an Eastern Indigo? They lovely looking snakes.
I'm getting a Baron's Racer from @LC72 once they've hatched and fed.
Eastern indigos are fantastic snakes. Probably my favorite species, but my reptile room gets too warm for them in summer. Mine is Drymarchon melanurus unicolor. Similar in many ways, but a little different. This is the father of mine:
IMG_6132.JPG

And mine:
Ava W: Star copy.JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Eastern indigos are fantastic snakes. Probably my favorite species, but my reptile room gets too warm for them in summer. Mine is Drymarchon melanurus unicolor. Similar in many ways, but a little different. This is the father of mine:
View attachment 31749

And mine:
View attachment 31750

Gorgeous.
One of my favourites was the Vietnamese Blue Beauty. My male grew to 10ft and guarded his girl so closely when she was gravid.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Which color Baron's racers did you have? The breeder of my new snake also has those and he breeds an incredible looking blue variety. I can't recall ever seeing such a blue snake as his. He has the green ones too, and some that are more grayish, brownish. In addition to the Eastern Indigos, he also breeds a variety of Mexican Indigo that I'm now enthralled with. Drymarchon melanurus rubidus. He has a white throated type and a red throated type.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I haven't got the Baron's yet and they haven't hatched, due middle of September, but I know there is a chance of some blue ones in the clutch. I'm not really bothered, green would be fine.
I like the red Mexican Indigo.
I really like Boas but I'm getting too old to think of handling a big one now hence the Blood, big and chunky but still manageable.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've always really liked the blood pythons too. One of my co-workers has one, but his does not have the temperament of yours.

Another one I really like is the Brazilian rainbow boas. I've always wanted one. Might get one soon. There is a local guy who breeds them, but he wasn't at the show this year.

The Australian black headed python is another favorite. I have a couple friends who bred theirs once and I keep waiting for them to do it again.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As I say the secret with Bloods is, buy them young and handle a lot to begin with and they'll be gentle giants. My grandkids used to handle mine when they were only 2 & 4 years old, they loved Benny.
Brazilians are lovely too. I always love Western Hognoses, such odd little characters but ohhh, could they fast.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I decided today it was time I weighed my 2 boys so it was a chance to get some photos too.

Mali weighed in at 965g (2.13lb)
DSCF7852 (2).JPG

DSCF7932.JPG

Ular
, clocked in at 2120g (4.67lb). He was a little huffy because I woke him up but otherwise he was well behaved but I didn't push my luck with too much handling. He's in a 9l RUB (Really Useful Box) to give an idea of his size now..
DSCF8318.JPG

DSCF8319.JPG

DSCF8323.JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Beautiful boys you have there. I'm getting a Ball python real soon...its a spider clown morph.:D

Thank you.
Ball pythons and especially the Spider morphs are gorgeous but are you aware that all Royals that carry the Spider morph are carrying a genetic fault that causes a head wobble, some show it more that others but it is there. The cause was because only 1 Spider Royal was ever discovered in the wild and had this fault and therefore all its offspring have it.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I just wanted to make sure you knew about it. The Spider I had showed almost no sign of it, he was adorable.
They told me up front...I trade spiders to this reptile shop. They bred all their reptiles. I'm open to any of them...even a twitcher. I'll give it a good home.:D I kinda stuck on the spider clowns...I dont know why???;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
An update on the new snakes.

Philiodryas Baroni (Baron`s Green Racer), Larch is now taking 2 pinkie mice per feed and beginning to calm down when handled.
DSCF1063.JPG

Wyatt, the Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose) is also taking 2 pinkies per feed and struck for his pinkie tonight for the first time. He's a very active chap and loves digging.
DSCF1062.JPG

Latest posts