• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

enclosure sizing

khatchet

3 Year Member
I would get them both, do you research though gbb are fast they are also for sure worth it though.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
thanks for all this help. what would you say for a gbb and a b. boehmei?

GBB are fast, yes there's faster ones out there but for beginners they seem fast as hell, but they're speed bursts are quite short, at least my 2 are. So if you do have one run, wait for it to pause and then put a capture cup over it.

Great beginner T in my opinion. They'll start showing their gorgeous colors about 1-1.5" in size, and their appetite is one of the best. I haven't found anything yet the GBB won't devour.

For their habitat i'd set it up more on the arboreal side, they like to web a lot. So having things around like fake plants and what not they can build their tunnel webs in is good. I've never misted ours, started it out on moist substrate (coco fiber and soil just moist enough it holds shape when you squeeze but doesn't release moisture) and it spent most of the time on the walls or in the plants. So we switched it to dry sub and it was happy. So both of ours live on dry sub with a gatorade bottle cap water dish filled with colored beta fish gravel to keep the feeders from drowning. Ours has never used a hide either. They've both webbed over the hide (even the new little one, that was his first act in his new home) and the larger one spends all her time in her web tunnels. The smaller new one has just started webbing in the fake plant in his habitat. I've noticed with both of ours, they tend to spend more time above ground when they're small, and the larger one didn't go down to the substrate permanently until she was just over an inch. So it will be interesting to see if our new one does the same after it molts a time or 2.

Boehmei was our 2nd T. It loves to burrow so the moist substrate above is ideal for them. You'll want the sub at least 3 times the depth of their leg span. So 3" deep for a 1" T. You can give it a hide, and it might use it, mine burried the hide and made his own burrow right beside it. And they love to cover the water dish with substrate as they dig. One thing with all terrestrial T's, you don't want more head space than their leg span, so a 1" T you'd only want about 1" space between the top of the enclosure and the substrate to minimize damage if a fall occurs. Their red legs start showing when they reach 3/4" or so leg span. They're one of my favorite Brachy's. Great eaters, and mine is very calm, rarely flicks hairs, and has never shown anything but a feeder roach his threat pose.

Make sure each enclosure has cross ventilation, drill or melt small holes in opposite sides (smaller than their thorax so they can't escape) and you'll be set.

For enclosure size my rule of thumb is at least twice the leg span. So for a 1 - 1.5" T a 4" wide enclosure will last them through a few molts. I'd upgrade them after they pass the 2.5" mark, then the next size Kritter Keeper will be fine for a few more molts.

Sorry for the long post, I was newbie with these same 2 spiders 9 and 6 months ago, so i thought i'd share what i learned :)

Congrats on joining the addiction ;) and welcome to the forum.

jrh3

3 Year Member
GBB are fast, yes there's faster ones out there but for beginners they seem fast as hell, but they're speed bursts are quite short, at least my 2 are. So if you do have one run, wait for it to pause and then put a capture cup over it.

Great beginner T in my opinion. They'll start showing their gorgeous colors about 1-1.5" in size, and their appetite is one of the best. I haven't found anything yet the GBB won't devour.

For their habitat i'd set it up more on the arboreal side, they like to web a lot. So having things around like fake plants and what not they can build their tunnel webs in is good. I've never misted ours, started it out on moist substrate (coco fiber and soil just moist enough it holds shape when you squeeze but doesn't release moisture) and it spent most of the time on the walls or in the plants. So we switched it to dry sub and it was happy. So both of ours live on dry sub with a gatorade bottle cap water dish filled with colored beta fish gravel to keep the feeders from drowning. Ours has never used a hide either. They've both webbed over the hide (even the new little one, that was his first act in his new home) and the larger one spends all her time in her web tunnels. The smaller new one has just started webbing in the fake plant in his habitat. I've noticed with both of ours, they tend to spend more time above ground when they're small, and the larger one didn't go down to the substrate permanently until she was just over an inch. So it will be interesting to see if our new one does the same after it molts a time or 2.

Boehmei was our 2nd T. It loves to burrow so the moist substrate above is ideal for them. You'll want the sub at least 3 times the depth of their leg span. So 3" deep for a 1" T. You can give it a hide, and it might use it, mine burried the hide and made his own burrow right beside it. And they love to cover the water dish with substrate as they dig. One thing with all terrestrial T's, you don't want more head space than their leg span, so a 1" T you'd only want about 1" space between the top of the enclosure and the substrate to minimize damage if a fall occurs. Their red legs start showing when they reach 3/4" or so leg span. They're one of my favorite Brachy's. Great eaters, and mine is very calm, rarely flicks hairs, and has never shown anything but a feeder roach his threat pose.

Make sure each enclosure has cross ventilation, drill or melt small holes in opposite sides (smaller than their thorax so they can't escape) and you'll be set.

For enclosure size my rule of thumb is at least twice the leg span. So for a 1 - 1.5" T a 4" wide enclosure will last them through a few molts. I'd upgrade them after they pass the 2.5" mark, then the next size Kritter Keeper will be fine for a few more molts.

Sorry for the long post, I was newbie with these same 2 spiders 9 and 6 months ago, so i thought i'd share what i learned :)

Congrats on joining the addiction ;) and welcome to the forum.
actually this long post is what i needed, thanks for summing it up all in one post. now im like a kid on christmas eve, lol.

Latest posts