• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

enclosure sizing

jrh3

3 Year Member
so i ordered everything i need for my new T's that are coming on tuesday.

i got them each a small critter keeper size is 7in long x 4.25in wide x 5.5 high.

is this ok for them the gbb is 1.5in and the b.boehmei is 1in or thats what they were sold as.

if this is to big i have plenty of small deli cups and such, but was gonna let this be a display cage for them.

khatchet

3 Year Member
I use critter keeper and have no problem with ventilation, they should be fine as is. Just make sure you do not keep it sobbing wet and you will have no problem with mold or any thing else.

khatchet

3 Year Member
I like eco earth for bedding, sense it is coconut husk it is slightly acidic and to some degree resist mold. So i feel it really helps for the one that need humidity. Also hold borrow well.

khatchet

3 Year Member
Gbb humidity is not to much of a worry, maybe just over give the cage a light spray once a week or every other depending on how dry it is and keep the water dish full. For the Boemei, I have seen that a lot of people have opinion there humidity, it keep my Brachypelma at about 60 to 70 humidity, the top soil is normally moist and the bottom layer dry. Mine does very well with this.

khatchet

3 Year Member
Also just to let you know this is my way of keeping tarantula, some people would agree some would not we all do it a bit differently.

khatchet

3 Year Member
As you go along you path you will slowly develop your own way of doing things as well. This is the best place for you to learn the basic of every thing though. There are people on here with much more knowledge to give then I have.

jrh3

3 Year Member
awesome, thats how i started with mantids, reading then few years later i joined the mantid forum and was alot of help, always someone out there that can help with advice.

khatchet

3 Year Member
Yes there is always some one, to learn about tarantula this is the place to be. Every one is nice and more then willing to help. Any thing you run in to when you get your tarantula just ask some one on here can help. Also what mantids do you have? I have always though about getting one.

jrh3

3 Year Member
found the book on digital for amazon, will download that tomorrow. for mantids just ghosts, and a few locals, but under my belt almost every species that has been into the us, haha.

khatchet

3 Year Member
Sound like you have some knowledge on them.
The book is a great read not only does it have general care it also has about of the biology of tarantulas in it.

khatchet

3 Year Member
There are other that I have heard of now and then, this how ever is the only one I have read. It paired with asking thing on the forum should give you all you need to know. With the money not spent on more books you will also have more tarantula money. It will start with the 2 and you will want more with in a week. People say in the hobby tarantula are like potato chip you can not have just one.

jrh3

3 Year Member
haha. im already looking at all the other species, im sure it wont be long. my main question is the substrate i think i got all else read up on. some say 100%eco earth loose fiber, some say mix with potting soil, some say leave it bone dry, some say make it a little moist. mantids just take a moist paper towel in the bottom of a deli cup lol.

khatchet

3 Year Member
I use 100% eco earth, others mix it is really up to you on that, and as far as moist or bone dry goes it will vary depending on the species of tarantula.

Latest posts