• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure size

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Get at least one large piece of Cork Bark & some plants/leaves too. I use plastic leaves, like Ivy & also some smaller artificial plants. These give the T the option of cover.

For water, I largely use a peanut butter lid, in enclosures that size. I also move the lid around & with Brachy's, I slightly overflow the water dish every few weeks & then allow the substrate to dry out.

Slightly over flowing the water dish gives the T the option of some moister substrate in a small area, if they want it & moving the dish around, means I do not have the same substrate getting wet & then drying out, all the time.

With Brachy's I also lightly mist a small area of one of the enclosures side walls close to the water dish, during my weekly feed, water top up etc. Brachy's like it dry, but misting an area of the side, gives them a natural area of moisture if they want it.

Pog mo thoin

Get at least one large piece of Cork Bark & some plants/leaves too. I use plastic leaves, like Ivy & also some smaller artificial plants. These give the T the option of cover.

For water, I largely use a peanut butter lid, in enclosures that size. I also move the lid around & with Brachy's, I slightly overflow the water dish every few weeks & then allow the substrate to dry out.

Slightly over flowing the water dish gives the T the option of some moister substrate in a small area, if they want it & moving the dish around, means I do not have the same substrate getting wet & then drying out, all the time.

With Brachy's I also lightly mist a small area of one of the enclosures side walls close to the water dish, during my weekly feed, water top up etc. Brachy's like it dry, but misting an area of the side, gives them a natural area of moisture if they want it.
Thanks for the help ,What kind of substrate do you use ?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Coconut Coir from poundland, plus with desert species I sprinkle a small amount of Komodo Coconut Terrain on part of the surface, to add some texture. I also find the small chunks of coconut husk in the Coconut Terrain makes a lovely & appropriately sized alternative to bark in a small sling tube.

Pog mo thoin

Coconut Coir from poundland, plus with desert species I sprinkle a small amount of Komodo Coconut Terrain on part of the surface, to add some texture. I also find the small chunks of coconut husk in the Coconut Terrain makes a lovely & appropriately sized alternative to bark in a small sling tube.
I've ordered 4 of the pt 2300
Hi, I've ordered 4 of the pt 2300's ,have you ever used exo terra plantation soil ?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, I've ordered 4 of the pt 2300's ,have you ever used exo terra plantation soil ?

No, I have never tried Exo Terra soil, but I cannot imagine it being anything, but perfectly OK. The only thing to be aware of, is, your T's are considered to be desert dwellers, so in general they are kept on dry substrate. So if you can let the substrate dry a little before using it, that is preferable. Although it can be dried in an oven. Or be allowed to dry out whilst being used, which is what some/ many keepers do.

The 2300's are nice enclosures. I find the best way to remove the lid, is to have the enclosure end on too you & then put a hand at both far corners & gently lift.

One lesson I have learnt ----- Some T's like to hang out on the underside of the lid of their enclosures. So always try & remember this & remove lids with care & not too close to a table edge. A high fall can often be fatal to a T.

shaun

3 Year Member
The 3L really useful plastic boxes seem to be about right for anythingup to 2-3 inches, but probably not for a large fully grown.