• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure size

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all, is a Komodo terrarium size 48cm long x 31cm wide x 18cm depth big enough for an adult t vagans ?
Sounds like a good size for a T. Vagans - they are great Ts :)
I'm not gonna lie... I had to have a giggle at your member name.. My dad's Irish so I know exactly what it means :D

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Much more than big enough. My adult Tliltocatl & Brachypelma are all in enclosures much smaller than that. Currently, how big is your Vagans?
Tarantulas sit & wait for their prey to pass them. So a big enclosure is not needed, in fact a big enclosure makes it harder for them to get the food we give them.

Pog mo thoin

At the moment my t vagans is around 7-8cm and housed in a 25cm long x 18cm wide x 16cm depth, I'm just trying to plan ahead for a permanent enclosure .what size are your enclosures ?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's no set size you should keep them in but obviously depends on the size of the T.. For adults around 30cm by 30cm is ideal :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm looking at a smaller terrarium it's 39cm long X 25cm wide X 24.5 cm high ,do you reckon this is a better option ?
I can't see why not? :) just make sure your T has ample amount of sub, do the decor to how you'd like making sure it has a hide or two and a water dish and you are good to go :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
I will not recommend the Komodo plastics.I have 5 of them.They scratch very easily.The lids are very soft and bending with ease.I had my LP 6-7 inch at the time damage a fang once and almost escaped out of it the second time.Caught her half way out.
Better look into glass enclosures.
Tropical factory uk has a 30x30x20 euro stile terrariums that will be ideal for a brachypelma but are being cheeky and glass only is out of stock while the setup one (substrate, cork...) which is £10 more expensive is in stock.
Regards Konstantin

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have several of my T's in those Komodo enclosures. They are not the best available, but I have personally had no real issues with them. But they are not made to high standards, so sometimes have loose fitting lids etc. But nothing I find a big issue.

For a few £'s extra, at the most, Exo Terras Faunariums are a better enclosure. That is what I now buy. I am not sure if Swell post to Ireland or not, but they are where I buy my tanks from now.

https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/exo-terra-faunariums/

Pog mo thoin

I have several of my T's in those Komodo enclosures. They are not the best available, but I have personally had no real issues with them. But they are not made to high standards, so sometimes have loose fitting lids etc. But nothing I find a big issue.

For a few £'s extra, at the most, Exo Terras Faunariums are a better enclosure. That is what I now buy. I am not sure if Swell post to Ireland or not, but they are where I buy my tanks from now.

https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/exo-terra-faunariums/
Thanks for the advice , can you tell me what size exi terra terrariums you have ?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We have an Adult Female T Vagans & B hamorii, both of those came in Faunarium PT 2300 enclosures, which are 360 X 210 X 160. I also have a Juvi T blondi & a P cancerides in a PT2255 Faunarium enclosures. And a Juvi N incei gold in a Faunarium PT2250.

We also have a sub adult female T sabulosum which we brought in a smaller flat Faunarium, which I do not think is an Exo Terra. That mesures 25 X 15 X 16.

Another T purchased in its enclosure is a sub adult female B albiceps that came in a square enclosure that is 18 X 18 X 15. This is, I believe, a Swell multi box, enclosure. But it is one they no longer sell.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I do have other Exo Terra glass enclosures. One is a tall arboreal, the other a large floor area enclosure U ise for my adult female T stirmi, two others are not in current use.

Pog mo thoin

We have an Adult Female T Vagans & B hamorii, both of those came in Faunarium PT 2300 enclosures, which are 360 X 210 X 160. I also have a Juvi T blondi & a P cancerides in a PT2255 Faunarium enclosures. And a Juvi N incei gold in a Faunarium PT2250.

We also have a sub adult female T sabulosum which we brought in a smaller flat Faunarium, which I do not think is an Exo Terra. That mesures 25 X 15 X 16.

Another T purchased in its enclosure is a sub adult female B albiceps that came in a square enclosure that is 18 X 18 X 15. This is, I believe, a Swell multi box, enclosure. But it is one they no longer sel
I do have other Exo Terra glass enclosures. One is a tall arboreal, the other a large floor area enclosure U ise for my adult female T stirmi, two others are not in current use.
Hi, I'm going to get the pt2300 thanks again for your advice

Latest posts