• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Empty enclosure, what should I get?!

x_raphael_xx

I like my OBT. It was my first old world. My experience rehousing it is the reason I now do all my rehousings in the bathtub with the shower door closed. Anything that bolts is easy to recover
I'm planning on using the bathtub method when I need to rehouse. That way I can keep the dog out of reach too.
And I'm in the market for a long handled paintbrush :D

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like my OBT. It was my first old world. My experience rehousing it is the reason I now do all my rehousings in the bathtub with the shower door closed. Anything that bolts is easy to recover
I use catch cups for all of my transfers; zero chance of escape, injury or actual contact with an angry theraphosidae

Maybe I need to make a video for y'all's...

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
My Zilla micro habitat developed a similar bow at the top and I never really liked how the lid lifted up, so I rehoused my G. pulchripes into a somewhat shorter enclosure with a sliding magnetic top. I think she is getting somewhat accustomed to it. She has removed all of the webbing she put up blocking her hide. As for the Zilla, I plan to plant several succulents in it with my regular substrate just to see how they fare.

x_raphael_xx

Wether you are going to keep a pulchra, GBB, or OBT the enclosure would need to be dry, so no need for the drainage layer. ;)
I haven't bothered with the draining in the enclosure I moved her into.
My hissers have a drainage layer, but I don't think I'll bother when I rehome them. The substrate seems to dry out quicker!
I'll just stick to misting 1/2 times a day, seems to be working with the frogs.

x_raphael_xx

My Zilla micro habitat developed a similar bow at the top and I never really liked how the lid lifted up, so I rehoused my G. pulchripes into a somewhat shorter enclosure with a sliding magnetic top. I think she is getting somewhat accustomed to it. She has removed all of the webbing she put up blocking her hide. As for the Zilla, I plan to plant several succulents in it with my regular substrate just to see how they fare.
The Zilla arboreal one seems okay, I think because the weight isn't hanging off the hinge.
I love the Tarantula cribs style enclosures, clear acrylic with the sliding magnet lids.
I've just placed a big order with T.cribs, the shipping cost to the UK is painful!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Y
The Zilla arboreal one seems okay, I think because the weight isn't hanging off the hinge.
I love the Tarantula cribs style enclosures, clear acrylic with the sliding magnet lids.
I've just placed a big order with T.cribs, the shipping cost to the UK is painful!
I like their enclosures too and there is another US company Herpcult that makes them. There are other makers as well.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Y

I like their enclosures too and there is another US company Herpcult that makes them. There are other makers as well.
Seconding Dusty on Herpcult. I personally prefer front door glass enclosure from Exo Terra (they glass doesn't deform over time, doesn't scratch and doesn't fog or turn yellowish). This said, out of all the different acrylic enclosures I also have, Herpcult seems to me to be the better ones and best made ones. My favorite features is how well they stack up which makes for more Ts in small places :D

x_raphael_xx

Seconding Dusty on Herpcult. I personally prefer front door glass enclosure from Exo Terra (they glass doesn't deform over time, doesn't scratch and doesn't fog or turn yellowish). This said, out of all the different acrylic enclosures I also have, Herpcult seems to me to be the better ones and best made ones. My favorite features is how well they stack up which makes for more Ts in small places :D
They are smart too :) but sadly nothing similar enough here in the UK

x_raphael_xx

Hmm I wonder why that is. Has it just been a matter of taste or preference?
I've found small sling enclosures along the same style, but nothing bigger. The Zilla ones are close enough, but the construction with the tabs and elastic bands take away from the aesthetic of the clear box.
Just my preference :)

I have decided on something for the enclosure though! I've found blue death feigning beetles for sale, so have snapped up 4 of them. Will post pics when they arrive next week.

x_raphael_xx

The beetles arrived today, (along with 10 new spiders :cool:)

Introducing...John, Paul, Ringo & George
IMG_5170.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg