• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Empty enclosure, what should I get?!

x_raphael_xx

Hi,
I have this top opening enclosure, 7.5 inch x 4.5, 4 inch tall.
image0.jpeg

It used to house my pulchra sling, but as you can see from the photo, the strength of the magnet fastening and the lid just resting on the two hinges has created a bend in the acrylic, leaving a small gap.

I moved my sling out (it was too big for her anyway) as I wanted no chance of a run away, no matter how small the gap is! So now I have an empty home that needs filling, and welcoming suggestions.

I need something that can't climb, maybe a beetle or two? I'm thinking maybe Anthia sexmaculata, but not sure if the enclosure is too small? (Will obviously replace substrate with whats appropriate.)
I like Blue death-feigning beetles, but I think they're currently difficult to get hold of in the UK.

What would you house?? I don't want this enclosure to go to waste!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm worried a T would climb and squeeze out. I do want a GBB, just not in this enclosure! :)
Good morning Raphael,
Ts have exoskeletons, which means the hardest parts of their bodies is on the outside (the reason why they have to molt to grow). This means you would need a very very tiny sling to be able to squeeze in that thin gap, I wouldn't stress too much about it. If your sling is slim enough to escape from there it means it was a way too big enclosure to start with for it.

x_raphael_xx

Good morning Raphael,
Ts have exoskeletons, which means the hardest parts of their bodies is on the outside (the reason why they have to molt to grow). This means you would need a very very tiny sling to be able to squeeze in that thin gap, I wouldn't stress too much about it. If your sling is slim enough to escape from there it means it was a way too big enclosure to start with for it.
I know it's unlikely, but I don't trust the strengh of the magnet. I've seen vids where a T has got a leg or two out and just pushed through. TBF it was an adult pokie & not a tiny sling, but for piece of mind I don't want to take any risk.
I wouldn't be able to relax. :D

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I know it's unlikely, but I don't trust the strengh of the magnet. I've seen vids where a T has got a leg or two out and just pushed through. TBF it was an adult pokie & not a tiny sling, but for piece of mind I don't want to take any risk.
I wouldn't be able to relax. :D
Better safe than sorry but if you really do not trust the enclosure I would recommend replacing it rather than risking to loose some sleep thinking the next critter you'll put in there might escape ;)

x_raphael_xx

Better safe than sorry but if you really do not trust the enclosure I would recommend replacing it rather than risking to loose some sleep thinking the next critter you'll put in there might escape ;)
That's why I'm thinking of beetles, or something that can't climb :) it's a nice enough enclosure and I don't want it to go to waste.
Maybe some fancy isopods?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I did consider a scorpion, but that's the one animal the bf won't allow...yet ;)
I wore him down on the T's, so I'm hoping to eventually nag him into submission.
Good luck with that. If I were you I would leverage the frustration of not being able to get a scorpion because of his resistance to a compromise on getting a few more Ts :p
My wife allowed my son to have 5 Ts in the house, in his bedroom and we complied. The loophole was that she didn't say anything about the garage in the backyard....now hosting another 100 Ts... Where there is a will there is usually a way.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What I would do is spend some time browsing sites like Portsmouth Tarantulas, The Spider Shop, So many legs etc. See what is available & for what price & make a decision based upon what I can buy.

x_raphael_xx

Good luck with that. If I were you I would leverage the frustration of not being able to get a scorpion because of his resistance to a compromise on getting a few more Ts :p
My wife allowed my son to have 5 Ts in the house, in his bedroom and we complied. The loophole was that she didn't say anything about the garage in the backyard....now hosting another 100 Ts... Where there is a will there is usually a way.
First it was a hard no on the T's. Then the deal was I could get ONE!
Now I have 3 T's, (and looking at at least 3 more in the near future), hissing roaches, firebelly toads, a pacman frog and a bearded dragon. On top of the dog and tortoise we already had.

The deal is I can get whatever I want (apart from scorpions) as long as he doesn't have to deal with them.

I'm also planning some millipedes, an african bullfrog and an axolotl at some point, when I can find the space in the house :D

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First it was a hard no on the T's. Then the deal was I could get ONE!
Now I have 3 T's, (and looking at at least 3 more in the near future), hissing roaches, firebelly toads, a pacman frog and a bearded dragon. On top of the dog and tortoise we already had.

The deal is I can get whatever I want (apart from scorpions) as long as he doesn't have to deal with them.

I'm also planning some millipedes, an african bullfrog and an axolotl at some point, when I can find the space in the house :D
That is true love right there from your boyfriend!!!!!

x_raphael_xx

That is true love right there from your boyfriend!!!!!
Which is why I'm respecting his hard no on the scorpion :) I won't get one unless he changes his mind.
He thought I was coming home with one the other day as I was late home from work.
I live across the road from work, and the petshop is right in the middle, I'd only gone in for more crickets and came home with the pacman frog (who has now been named Cricket)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I went out for pasties today, and would have come home with an OBT, but the shop had sold it already. I think I've got a problem :D
You have indeed. Ts are a very addictive hobby and like the "crazy cat ladies" it is easy to give in and end up hoarding Ts and enclosures. Needless to say, spending time on this forum is like opening the door to a thousand enablers happy to help you get deeper in the hole. Welcome to this wonderful and dysfunctional family :D