• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beth

Bethan567

Really need help. New to the hobby. Need to know if the red knee enclosure is now too small????? She is a good eater. My black curly also is a good eater. Growing well but have a new Indian violet earth tiger. Shop said it was a baby but someone here has just commented that its a mature male. They told me it was female. Ain't eaten nothin since purchase in Jan. Tried the waxworms and crickets and not interested don't know what else to do. They r in a Vic but the other 2 r doing fine. Need to know if all the enclosures r right. Have also heard that they can be left at room temp and don't actually need a viv is this right for the 3 I have. Thanks. X

Attachments

• IMG_20200523_125417.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125417.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200523_125412.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125412.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200523_125408.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125408.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200523_125404.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125404.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200523_125319.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125319.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200523_125314.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125314.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200523_125258.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125258.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200523_125255.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125255.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200523_125248.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125248.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200523_125246.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125246.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200523_125223.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125223.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200523_125221.jpg
    IMG_20200523_125221.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200523_123001.jpg
    IMG_20200523_123001.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200523_122931.jpg
    IMG_20200523_122931.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200523_122905.jpg
    IMG_20200523_122905.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200523_122850.jpg
    IMG_20200523_122850.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200523_122707.jpg
    IMG_20200523_122707.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200523_122701.jpg
    IMG_20200523_122701.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 6

Bethan567

Really need help. New to the hobby. Need to know if the red knee enclosure is now too small????? She is a good eater. My black curly also is a good eater. Growing well but have a new Indian violet earth tiger. Shop said it was a baby but someone here has just commented that its a mature male. They told me it was female. Ain't eaten nothin since purchase in Jan. Tried the waxworms and crickets and not interested don't know what else to do. They r in a Vic but the other 2 r doing fine. Need to know if all the enclosures r right. Have also heard that they can be left at room temp and don't actually need a viv is this right for the 3 I have. Thanks. X the red knee is also digging and closing up the entrance to the hide all the time do u know y?

Bethan567

You’ve bought it from a pet shop I assume? They’ve mugged you off. It’s a mature male and you’ll be lucky if he eats at all before he dies which could be very soon
Can't read any comments if you have went any. Don't know y. Can't fine them. Only finding anything as I'm finding everything through notifications.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did u get the last text too?? How old would you think it is? Haven't touched a thing since Jan. Tried crickets, larve or the white worms. Won't touch nothing. Can every 1 let me know if they r actually recieveing these messages. Thanks
There’s no way to tell it’s actual age , but once a male reaches maturity the only thing they think about is reproduction. Most wont eat or drink and eventually dehydrate to death. It’s a cruel world but it’s how it works.

If you look at the pedipalps (the smaller front legs) on the ends mature males will get what looks like a little red ball with a spike (not the best way to describe it but meh) the web under where the hide was looks like a sperm web and the overall look of the spider has the tell tell signs of an Mm. Only thing you can do is keep him for as long as he lives. Could be in a few months, could be in an hour. It’s a lottery with MMs

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can't read any comments if you have went any. Don't know y. Can't fine them. Only finding anything as I'm finding everything through notifications.
You can't find comments because there aren't any.. People post messages and they get replied to as and when members see them.. Its not an instant messaging service lol
I agree with @Rs50matt that is a MM so the shop was incorrect with what they told you when you purchased him... You can keep offering food but chances are he will not eat,
As for your other question about housing the hamorii is doing normal stuff by burrowing and sealing itself in its likely in premoult although some just like to dig, tarantulas don't need to live in vivs and are comfortable at the room temperature we are - hope this helps you :)

Bethan567

There’s no way to tell it’s actual age , but once a male reaches maturity the only thing they think about is reproduction. Most wont eat or drink and eventually dehydrate to death. It’s a cruel world but it’s how it works.

If you look at the pedipalps (the smaller front legs) on the ends mature males will get what looks like a little red ball with a spike (not the best way to describe it but meh) the web under where the hide was looks like a sperm web and the overall look of the spider has the tell tell signs of an Mm. Only thing you can do is keep him for as long as he lives. Could be in a few months, could be in an hour. It’s a lottery with MMs
Thank you so much.... That was an amazing learning curve.... What about the other 2 do they look OK in their environment? Had a goliath sling. Lived 4 mths and had a really bad moult as it had moulted fine before hand and damaged the back legs and died. Haven't tried again with a sling. Even tho would love 2. If they have to be kept in a viv I haven't the room anyway. X

Bethan567

You can't find comments because there aren't any.. People post messages and they get replied to as and when members see them.. Its not an instant messaging service lol
I agree with @Rs50matt that is a MM so the shop was incorrect with what they told you when you purchased him... You can keep offering food but chances are he will not eat,
As for your other question about housing the hamorii is doing normal stuff by burrowing and sealing itself in its likely in premoult although some just like to dig, tarantulas don't need to live in vivs and are comfortable at the room temperature we are - hope this helps you :)
That was just what I needed thank you so much. The hamorii moulted well on 23rd March 2020.is the enclosure big enough. Is there enough substrate? If they could be kept at room temp where could I keep them if I bought more. Don't have anything outdoors like a shed. X

Bethan567

Really tamping with them arse holes in that shop. How can they do that. Not have a clue at all and not giving a **** about what they r selling to every 1 and any 1. Not a good shop anyway now I have to watch him die. ☹️☹️☹️

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That was just what I needed thank you so much. The hamorii moulted well on 23rd March 2020.is the enclosure big enough. Is there enough substrate? If they could be kept at room temp where could I keep them if I bought more. Don't have anything outdoors like a shed. X
The enclosure size is fine, although you can go bigger if you do go for something with more floor space rather than height and plenty of dry substrate as hamorii like there home to be dry, under no circumstances can a tarantula be kept in a shed.. They must be housed indoors ideally a quiet calm part of the home where they won't be getting disturbed all the time or the worry of being knocked over by kids,
It's a shame the pet shop missold you that male but it's a common thing that happens as often pet shops lack the knowledge to know what they are selling in regards to tarantulas :(

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Thank you so much.... That was an amazing learning curve.... What about the other 2 do they look OK in their environment? Had a goliath sling. Lived 4 mths and had a really bad moult as it had moulted fine before hand and damaged the back legs and died. Haven't tried again with a sling. Even tho would love 2. If they have to be kept in a viv I haven't the room anyway. X
Hi
Calm down.You are doing well with the website.
You will get used to it.
Now about your spiders.I saw pics on your other thread but you took them off for some reason.
First your spiders dont care what thay are hosed in.It may be cheap plastic storage box or flashy acrylic or glass vivarium and anythingin between.Thats more up your own preference.
Enclosure dimensions are important so is ventilation.Enclosures for terrestrial tarantulas should not have too much height to them as is fall hazard and they can injure themselves that way.
Your Curly hair and Red knee enclosures looked ok for now but after next moult you should get something with a bit more floor space.Also you can double the substrate in it as it will appreciate it if it tries to burrow also will reduce the height.Idealy about 1.5 times of your spider DLS(diagonal leg span) between substrate and top is the rule of thumb.
Temperature between 18-28°C is fine.
Your enclosures seem very wet.Do you spray or how do you add moisture.Those two species like it on the dry side.
Also with 9 kids.I would recommend to stay away from any OW tarantulas.Potent venom and kids dont sound like a good combination.
Can't advice on the Indian violet as I dont keep OW tarantulas either.
Regards Konstantin

Seamus

3 Year Member
Hi Beth don't get disheartened your probably not the first person to have been miss sold a tarantula from a pet shop as I don't think they actually know much about tarantulas they just want a quick sell. If you want to purchase another in the future just ask on here and we can put you in touch with reputable tarantula keepers and breeders there are some fantastic people on here. Any questions please ask we are here to help :T: :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi there Beth! I am sorry that you are going through this with the purchase of a mature male from a pet shop. It's not uncommon that they have lack of knowledge when it comes to tarantulas and other invertebrates. I have kept many C. fimbriatus "Indian Violet" and they LOVE to burrow. I would definitely add more substrate to their enclosure because it's not deep enough. The terrariums you have them have too much "height" space for their size. They are also prolific webbers! They love to web up their enclosures! You can add a few sticks for them to anchor web to as well as hides or a slab of cork bark for them to burrow under. I would keep the substrate a little damp but don't overdo it. These guys are used to humid environments and warm temps. I also posted a link here in this thread so that you can read information about this particular species to kinda get the feel of what their environment is like so you can replicate it. As far as the B. albopilosum and B. hamorii, they like dry substrate so I would switch it out because the substrate you have appears to be too damp for those two... and your enclosures should be ok for them. We are all here to help and offer as much advice/information as we can. :)

Last edited:

Bethan567

Hi
Calm down.You are doing well with the website.
You will get used to it.
Now about your spiders.I saw pics on your other thread but you took them off for some reason.
First your spiders dont care what thay are hosed in.It may be cheap plastic storage box or flashy acrylic or glass vivarium and anythingin between.Thats more up your own preference.
Enclosure dimensions are important so is ventilation.Enclosures for terrestrial tarantulas should not have too much height to them as is fall hazard and they can injure themselves that way.
Your Curly hair and Red knee enclosures looked ok for now but after next moult you should get something with a bit more floor space.Also you can double the substrate in it as it will appreciate it if it tries to burrow also will reduce the height.Idealy about 1.5 times of your spider DLS(diagonal leg span) between substrate and top is the rule of thumb.
Temperature between 18-28°C is fine.
Your enclosures seem very wet.Do you spray or how do you add moisture.Those two species like it on the dry side.
Also with 9 kids.I would recommend to stay away from any OW tarantulas.Potent venom and kids dont sound like a good combination.
Can't advice on the Indian violet as I dont keep OW tarantulas either.
Regards Konstantin
Thats Brill. X. Learning lol. What do I put the red knee and black curly in next then. Asi have the viv but they have never Been out of it due to safety mainly but if they r going to get too big where do I put them next. I do have a quiet locked room they can go in but worried about heat

Bethan567

Hi Beth don't get disheartened your probably not the first person to have been miss sold a tarantula from a pet shop as I don't think they actually know much about tarantulas they just want a quick sell. If you want to purchase another in the future just ask on here and we can put you in touch with reputable tarantula keepers and breeders there are some fantastic people on here. Any questions please ask we are here to help :T: :)
I would love more but I got a Brazilian white sling. Did Brill for 4 mths. Had a bad shed as I watched it. Its back legs buckled and died. Haven't tried again

Bethan567

Thats Brill. X. Learning lol. What do I put the red knee and black curly in next then. Asi have the viv but they have never Been out of it due to safety mainly but if they r going to get too big where do I put them next. I do have a quiet locked room they can go in but worried about heat
Didn't mean to take them down and don't even know how I did. Lol

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The curly hair setup is fine. I would move the red knee to an enclosure/setup like the curly hair is in. You can purchase those at most pet shops or online. The B. hamorii (red knee) looks too big to be in the enclosure it is currently in. Just make sure the substrate (soil) is dry for both of these species.

Latest posts