• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are they worth the money?

KateSpoods

So I live in the UK and I have come across a sub-adult Female Pamphobeteus Sp. Ultramarinus (£275) and Sub-adult Female Pamphobeteus Sp. Esmeraldas (£167) alongside some other pretty nice species.

I cannot find any slings of these 2 nevermind sub-adult females and was wondering if they are worth what they are being sold at? Thank you so much for the help!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don’t know either species, so I can’t speak to the value. But ultimately it is a subjective matter. How much do you want them and can you afford it.

Also a word of caution. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. There have been cases of hard to find T’s sold that were other species altogether, either intentionally or accidentally. Also it is not unheard of T’s being sold as females when they were not.

Hopefully someone with experience with those two species will respond.

Blackdog

I paid $145 for a Pamphobeteus Antinous sling at show and of course no idea of sex. Confirmed females are more expensive, but it all depends on you- if the value seems fair to you. I of course second the caution- who are you buying from. Google can be real helpful and don't be afraid to ask what the return policy is in regards to misidentification and sexing.

Phobik1

3 Year Member
I have senveral Pampho's none of which are full grown. I have a young female Ultramarinus (NICE!) as well as an Insignus, Santo Domingo Small, Vespertinus females. Interesting animals that will get pretty big in general. They are rare somewhat, so if you see a feamale and really trust the seller, grab them. Just my 2 centz.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
So I live in the UK and I have come across a sub-adult Female Pamphobeteus Sp. Ultramarinus (£275) and Sub-adult Female Pamphobeteus Sp. Esmeraldas (£167) alongside some other pretty nice species.

I cannot find any slings of these 2 nevermind sub-adult females and was wondering if they are worth what they are being sold at? Thank you so much for the help!
Hi
Pamphobeteus ultramarinus are gorgeous spider and on my to get list but quite rare in UK
I think I recall seeing those prices you mentioned and they are high.The Spider Shop had some of those for sale not long ago for £165 and yours is most likely one of those resold for profit.
At the end of the day every spider is only worth the price you can afford and willing to pay depending on how much you want it.
Regards Konstantin

SullivanC

I don’t know either species, so I can’t speak to the value. But ultimately it is a subjective matter. How much do you want them and can you afford it.

Also a word of caution. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer. There have been cases of hard to find T’s sold that were other species altogether, either intentionally or accidentally. Also it is not unheard of T’s being sold as females when they were not.

Hopefully someone with experience with those two species will respond.
You are right people do that trick alot selling people sub adult males as female so by the time you realize the gender its already too late. Did that happen to you before?

SullivanC

Female tarantulas are usually always more expensive than unsexed or slings but if you dont want to worry about the sling or unsexed juvenile being male then it is usually better to get females unless you want to breed tarantulas then you need a male too of course but if you dont like breeding spiders I would just go with a female because if you raise a sling to be adult and if its male but you dont have any female available then you would have to find a person with female so he can breed with her

KateSpoods

I
Female tarantulas are usually always more expensive than unsexed or slings but if you dont want to worry about the sling or unsexed juvenile being male then it is usually better to get females unless you want to breed tarantulas then you need a male too of course but if you dont like breeding spiders I would just go with a female because if you raise a sling to be adult and if its male but you dont have any female available then you would have to find a person with female so he can breed with her
Was considering possibly breeding her by asking around to see if there's any MM's for loan so I could make some money back from her being so pricey... Her being Sub-Adult would give me a bit of time too. But wasn't overly sure if I'd be paying the correct amount due to my research leaving me nowhere

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You are right people do that trick alot selling people sub adult males as female so by the time you realize the gender its already too late. Did that happen to you before?
Not sex wise, although I bought a 3 inch unsexed G. Pulchripes for about $70 from a small pet store but highly suspected it was male. The store may not have known, but I got to believe the dealer/ breeder knew or suspected. Within about a year it matured.

I also received incorrect species from the now defunct Eresus.

SullivanC

Not sex wise, although I bought a 3 inch unsexed G. Pulchripes for about $70 from a small pet store but highly suspected it was male. The store may not have known, but I got to believe the dealer/ breeder knew or suspected. Within about a year it matured.

I also received incorrect species from the now defunct Eresus.
Its male now?

KateSpoods

This is the beauty I'll be getting soon I'm in love. 12cm (rough estimate by current owner)

Attachments

• received_1344632502957531.jpeg
    received_1344632502957531.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 8

SullivanC

No, I tried some places fairly local to me but no go. I kind have resigned myself to keeping him and just enjoying him as long as I can. Also thinking of ways to preserve him.
Yeah it sucks when you cant find a female for him but did you try reputable dealers? they usually have females for most species so you might get lucky with them

Latest posts