• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone live near Southampton UK?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine's a little leapfrog. When it wants to get from a to b it often just jumps. When I put its cork bark in it crawled onto my hand and just sat there while I was sorting out its tub. It was one of those "Awww! So cute!" moments. It's webbed but very thinly, but I'm glad it has so it has a safety net for its flying stunts, lol. I've put a dead mealie on top of the log, but I don't think it's interested in it. It doesn't look skinny and is active so I'm not too worried. I've ordered smaller crickets so maybe they'll entice it a bit more than the dead ones.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 mine was like that at first, it seemed to want to jump everywhere, it's a bit more chilled now. My peru purple seems very docile and much more chilled than the others. she's slower, the others are quite quick especially the amazonica!

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Charlotte Mine doesn't seem too fast yet, but I'm probably used to the speed of my T. Gigas, even so that hasn't really shown its true potential yet, lol. My A. Versicolor was quite quick as a baby, but has slowed down a bit since growing big. She seems to have mellowed out a bit since her last molt.
I can't wait for the little one to moult although I love its huge feet compared to the rest of its body, lol.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 do you know what these species are? I've come across them whilst looking up something for my new Grammostola Pulchra and I can't find their name.

I love their feet! It's too cute to watch. Mines all snuggled in its Web atm, none of my Ts have mooted yet, I can't wait to see!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-22-17-11-44-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-22-17-11-44-1.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2015-09-22-17-11-25-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-22-17-11-25-1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2015-09-22-17-10-45-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-22-17-10-45-1.png
    756.3 KB · Views: 7

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Charlotte The first 2 look like Pamphobeteus Platyomma to me (or P. Ultramarinus). Apparently Pamphobeteus are a great species to keep, if not a bit flicky. Unfortunately the very nice coloured ones are the males, the female turn more brownish when they mature, IIRC.
The 3rd spider looks like a photoshopped B. Emilia to me, lol.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Charlotte I'm 90% sure my B. Boehmei juvenile is a boy. It's kind of sad to think he won't be with me for as long as a female would be, but 8-10 years still is a good age for such a small animal. I've not decided, but depending on how he turns out when he matures he might even be allowed to go on a breeding loan. After all, that's the only thing male spiders are there for, lol.
I think it would be sadder for the shorter lived genuses (geni) like Avics and Tapis, because depending on the species the males can mature as young as 2 years (or even younger). I'm glad my Versi seems to be female, but I've not been able to sex my T. Gigas (it crunches up its shed skin too much).
The only 2 I'm 100% sure are my A. Geniculata (who was bought as a female) and my G. Rosea (whose moult I was able to sex). Both their "lady bits" are clearly visible.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 I think I would send them off on a breeding loan too, that way they feel like they have fulfilled their purpose and are not roaming up and down looking for a female. Poor little babies!

I do feel for the males! I dread to think about mine getting old and passing, Makes me sad.

I can't wait to sex my slings but at the same time I'm classing them all as female atm and don't want to jinx it so until I know for sure they're all female lol

I now have a Brazillian Black juvie that is gorgeous, so friendly! I'm ordering my Avic Avic today as the spider shop have had a new batch in :) I'm on 7 now in just over a month :D I love it when you receive them it's an exciting feeling.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Charlotte It's a slippery slope and you're worse than me, lol: I've been keeping for over a year and "only" have 9. I'd have more, but am a bit restricted with space (only got the one shelf in the living room). I'll need to see how it works out when all the terrestrials are fully grown space wise.

I tend to call all my small Ts "he" until they're sexed. I don't know why, maybe it's their unladylike behaviour, lol?
Is your Braz. Black a G. Pulchra? Just asking because I've seen the G. Actaeon being called Brazilian Woolly Black before, too. Lucky you for getting a juvenile. I don't think they're available a lot (slings are though).
Good luck with your Avic Avic. I hope it arrives safe and well. Take it you like your Avicularia, lol? Can't blame you, gorgeous spiders. If I hadn't been impatient and got the Amazonica I would have probably held out for a Diversipes and/or Purpurea. Chubbs on here has an AD and it's absolutely gorgeous, amazing colours.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 I invested in a tall wide bookcase it's solid and has 5 shelves for my Ts :) when they're full grown they will take up the whole bookcase lol

yh G. Pulchra I got it from the local reptile centre they showed me it and I just had to have it. just too cute, I usually prefer the more colourful Ts as the big black ones used to scare me a bit (house spider like)

They told me that the adult ones sell same day but they could not shift this cute little juvie! that was it, sold! couldn't leave it there :(

I definitely love Avicularia I wish I hadn't lost my Purpurea. The next on my list is Metallica and diversipes and then I think I'll stop for a bit, if I can control myself that is!

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 have you ever got any Ts or know anyone that has got them from houseofspiders.co.uk?

I came across the site and although they don't have a huge selection they look quite good, even have G.Pulchra juvies on there.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've only looked at their page for enclosures which I found a bit too pricey for my liking. There's also Martin Goss (whom AFAIK it's easier to contact directly by phone as his website is often not updated), Metamorphosis (never ordered from there myself) and Virginia Cheeseman (who is quite pricey again).

Charlotte

3 Year Member
I placed an order today for tomorrow and been told it won't be shipped till Monday as ordered at 4pm, no reply and sent loads of emails. Purchased 5 Ts from there in a month would think they'd want to keep customers happy especially regular ones :( doesn't take much to send an email.

Last edited:

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't know why they're not replying, but unfortunately I think 2pm on a Thursday is the cut-off for most next working day deliveries, I think it's so the animals don't get stuck in weekend postal service.
Have you ordered from Tarantula Bristol before? My B. Boehmei, A. Geniculata, GBB, A. Versi and T. Gigas are from there and although, I, too had to wait until the next Tuesday (even Thursday when our postie took a few days off), they've all been very healthy and arrived well packed.
That said, one of the girls on here had a Brachy sent to the US from TB. It arrived very sick with maggots inside it, but it was lost in the US Mail for a while, so it could have been infested then.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 I wish it stated it more clearly on the site, it doesn't give times just that they will do their best to ship if ordered late afternoon. They always send 24 hour anyway so would have got it tomorrow. Dissapointed, I was looking forward to
getting it :(

Haven't tried Tarantula Bristol yet, had good experiences with the spider shop and they had the Ts I wanted so always got them from there. Maybe I'll give them a try, I didn't think their website was that informative.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Charlotte No, you're right. You need to know what you're looking for and check out the species yourself at TB. I think TSS is very good with that. Their descriptions and translations of the scientific names are really funny sometimes (Bahia Facehugger, and something Big B@st@rd spring to mind, lol). Maybe, if they have what you really want, order now and hang on until Tuesday, it'll be worth the wait until then ;).

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 that's why I like them as you know what you're buying and they give good information on the species. You're right they do have some really funny names for them. I've managed to get Tuesday off but can't get any other day, hopefully this will be ok for the spider shop. I just want 3 more and I'll stop for a bit, want to find another Purpurea Metallica and diversipes if possible and then I'll stop, well I'll try lol ;)

Latest posts