• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone live near Southampton UK?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Charlotte : You just need to tease him into a hobby he really enjoys. I just gently guided my husband into ordering more fly fishing gear for his birthday, so he agreed that if he's allowed to buy himself expensive kit I can look for another spider, yay!
Have you got any pictures of your A. Amazonica? I assume by the species you bought that they're from The Spider Shop and because I'm rubbish at judging size from just reading the description, I would love to see how big/small the slings actually are in real life, lol.
As for your Peru Purple: Could it be nearing a molt? I've read that some arboreals find it hard to climb just before a molt.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 haha very well played! I basically said I put up with his cat who is a total nightmare and drives me up the wall and that Ts live in their little enclosures and cause no trouble at all :)

Yes I do have some pics but atm it's on top of the lid and I can't get a decent one, I will try to get a better one tomorrow. Kwitara and Peru Purple have already started webbing :)

They all look very similar, here is this pic for now, sorry it's not very good.

Attachments

• 20150911_162631.jpg
    20150911_162631.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11

Ghost

3 Year Member
@Ghost ye I'm aware of the BTS events, like I said above the closest to me isn't until January 2016! If you can pass me on any other events Im more than interested. Unfortunately living in the south east, donny and the West Midlands is a lot of travelling!!
I no my local branch of the BTS hold meetings once a month but I work that day, which sucks!
Like I say any info( or even pointing me in the right direction) will gladly be excepted

As far as I'm aware the only show near you is the one in Ashford in January next year and is the only show in the south east as far as I know.
Your basically going to have to travel if you want to go to anything else,I'm in the same position myself as I live in scotland and the last show up here was about 15 years ago, so every show means travel for me but I still try and go to at least 2-3 shows a year and make a long weekend out of it....

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Charlotte Thank you, that helps. It's basically about the same size my T. Gigas was when I first got him/her, so I could "handle" (not literally, lol) that. I've got the same tub so that should work... so tempted now, lol.
I just don't know whether to hold out for an A. Diversipes or A. Purpurea, but I also like the size of an adult Amazonica (I like larger spiders).

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 sorry I forgot to say, yes I got them all from the spider shop. The Amazonica is the smallest sling out of the three, the Peru purple is the biggest. I've just checked on them and the amazonica is still on the lid, I think it's waiting to escape lol the Peru purple walks strange it's almost like a limp just very slow the others are quite fast. Maybe you're right maybe it's in a premolt, which would be nice as I havn't seen any molt yet. I wonder how many molts it will take for them all to start showing their colours? They all look the same atm I'm glad I labelled them :)

@Ghost I would have to go on my own as even my fiancé wouldn't wanna come to a show. That can't be much fun going alone :(that's why I asked if anyone lived near me so we could meet up and talk Ts :)

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 Hehe naughty you! why not I say :p I'm still trying to get a decent photo of mine but it's hogging the lid and refusing to move, I can tell this one is gonna be a little devil :D I have named it Nogi which means Legs in Russian. Here is a pic of my Kwitara, I have named Orion I thought it looks like it's floating in the pic lol and Peru Purple I have named Milashka which means Cutie in Russian. I wanted something different and my fiance is Russian although always lived in UK so you couldn't tell. I'm hoping to get better ones when they come out :)

Attachments

• 20150911_194405-1.jpg
    20150911_194405-1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20150911_155857.jpg
    20150911_155857.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7

Ghost

3 Year Member
@Charlotte I don't go alone I take my wife with me and make a weekend out of it that way I get to go to the show and get some new T's and meet up with fellow keepers and the wife gets to go sight seeing and shopping keeps everyone happy that way......

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Ghost I asked and he won't come with me :( I meant that it wouldn't be much fun if I went alone especially travelling. Hopefully I'll meet someone near to me and maybe we could go together :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very pretty! I gotta say, I missed that excited feeling when ordering a new T, lol.
I love it when Ts groom themselves. They're so thorough almost like cats. My A. Geniculata even uses her water dish to wash herself.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Fuzzball79 I'm so sorry that your P. met has died, I've been so hoping it would survive for you. I also noticed though that mine appeared to grow very little with each moult at the beginning but recently it has grown more. It's taken 17 months to grow from 0.5" to just over 2"

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 I'm so sorry that your P. met has died, I've been so hoping it would survive for you. I also noticed though that mine appeared to grow very little with each moult at the beginning but recently it has grown more. It's taken 17 months to grow from 0.5" to just over 2"
Thanks, I had hoped, too, but I'm kind of glad it's not suffering anymore. I still wonder what was wrong with it, but you can't exactly do a PM and a 2cm sling, can you? I was actually quite teary when my husband asked what I'd do with the "body". I put it in one of my flower pots, as I didn't have the heart to just bin it.
I just didn't want to get another P. Met as I'm paranoid now that I did something wrong. At least with my Avics, I've successfully reared my Versi from (albeit bigger) sling and Grammies are tough as nails anyway.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Fuzzball79 I buried mine in an outside pot and planted a viola on top, like you I couldn't just bin them. If I were you I'd get another P. met to prove to yourself that it wasn't your fault, I did with my Avic.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 I buried mine in an outside pot and planted a viola on top, like you I couldn't just bin them. If I were you I'd get another P. met to prove to yourself that it wasn't your fault, I did with my Avic.
I can't just now anyway, because I just ordered the 2 I get on Tuesday. Maybe in the future sometimes. My head says, I didn't do anything wrong, but you know what it's like, you end up doubting yourself. I think, that maybe something went wrong with its last molt, as this was the point when everything went downhill for it. I think it couldn't regulate its own body fluids which could have lead to the loss of motion in its back legs, couldn't it?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can't just now anyway, because I just ordered the 2 I get on Tuesday. Maybe in the future sometimes. My head says, I didn't do anything wrong, but you know what it's like, you end up doubting yourself. I think, that maybe something went wrong with its last molt, as this was the point when everything went downhill for it. I think it couldn't regulate its own body fluids which could have lead to the loss of motion in its back legs, couldn't it?

As I said before, some are just not meant to survive. I can't see that you did anything wrong and you did your best for it towards the end. You may be right about the moult being the cause, when they're small it can be difficult to see any problems.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Charlotte I was just wondering how your new Avics are doing? I got my Amazonica and it's started webbing up its fake plants. I didn't have any cork bark left, so had to wait until it was delivered and now I've put it in the little guy/girl doesn't seem too sure about this "tree" that has suddenly grown in its tub, lol. Has yours fed yet? Mine hasn't, but it's early days yet. Once there's a bit more web I might throw a cut up mealie or cricket in it.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 hello, they're doing well thank you :) my amazonica made quite an impressive little web overnight and my Peru purple and kwitara did the same. My Peru purple eat straight away but the other two were a bit reluctant so I put a prekilled tiny cricket in instead and they were ok with it then. It took them a while to find the food though. My versi still isn't really webbing it's been ages now but still eating and drinking ok. I love to watch them all they all have such different characters :D

What's your amazonica like? Mine seems a bit crazy lol

Latest posts