• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone have a reaming tool I could borrow?

Spiders&Snakes

But soldering irons have so many uses. Every tool kit should have a soldering iron it. I even have a gas powered soldering iron in my radio grab bag, so not only can I run my radios on solar power, but I can also repair things, or improve the antenna system etc, with no external power required.

Personally I like my electric soldering irons to have silicone leads. Mostly because they make the iron feel so much better in the hand, but also because silicone is safer when it comes into contact with heat, as it does not melt & expose you to the risk of electric shocks.

For my enclosures, I use a cheap & nasty gun type iron, that someone gave me, years ago. It does the job & means it's getting used.
I'm sure. But in my 34 years I can honestly say I've never used one.

I have a tiny collection of animals, and tend to move country every few years (with work), so my collection stays small.

If I were a hoarder of animals that lived in one place my whole life, I would probably get a soldering iron. But living a mobile life, I need less stuff, not more.

For one plastic enclousre, a nail and lighter will do.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
heat doesn't work well for making holes in hard plastic, you want a drill for that

drills don't work well with soft plastics, you'll want a soldering iron (or a rusty nail, a lighter and a tetanus shot) for that

I've no experience with the tool that @Arachnoclown showed, but according to the Mrs you'll want a lot of lube to be successful with that one (which is curious cause she's not handy with tools)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
heat doesn't work well for making holes in hard plastic, you want a drill for that

drills don't work well with soft plastics, you'll want a soldering iron (or a rusty nail, a lighter and a tetanus shot) for that

I've no experience with the tool that @Arachnoclown showed, but according to the Mrs you'll want a lot of lube to be successful with that one (which is curious cause she's not handy with tools)
Enzo had a lot of questions about the loving (heart base) purple Christmas tree :p

Latest posts