• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone have a reaming tool I could borrow?

Spiders&Snakes

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there's anyone in the UK that has one of these little reaming tools I could borrow please?

Can mail it back to you when I'm done with it. Just don't see the need to spend 10 quid plus shipping for something I'm probably gonna use once.

Cheers all

- James

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
31APFac7c0L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Spiders&Snakes

Yeah, I know. Guess I've been back in the UK too long! I forgot about that, ha ha!

This is a "reaming tool"

Don't let your imagination get too carried away LOL

It's basically a tiny "hole jabber" to make holes in plastic enclosures for cross ventilation

I don't own a soldering iron, and these are cheaper (no socket required)

hole_jabber2-350x.jpg

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, I know. Guess I've been back in the UK too long! I forgot about that, ha ha!

This is a "reaming tool"

Don't let your imagination get too carried away LOL

It's basically a tiny "hole jabber" to make holes in plastic enclosures for cross ventilation

I don't own a soldering iron, and these are cheaper (no socket required)

View attachment 54591
I was going to say that @Arachnoclown one looks less painful... here in the US you can get a soldering iron shipped to your door (one day) for about $15. As you might need it again down the road I would consider the small expense ;)
D06F79A9-6E7C-4F92-A6BC-035B83770AC3.png

Spiders&Snakes

Bit more expensive here than 15 bucks.

I've been out of work for a year thanks to Covid, so I'm looking to avoid spending more money than is necessary. I don't plan on expanding my animal collection further.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry for the job/Covid issue.
Before I got my soldering iron I was using a nail, a lighter and a pair of pliers (to hold the nail). That might be a faster fix that finding and meeting someone for the tool.
Hang in there my friend, they’ll be better days.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
here in the US you can get a soldering iron shipped to your door (one day) for about $15. As you might need it again down the road I would consider the small expense ;)

$15 :oops::oops: Here I would expect to pay about £5 for a cheap soldering iron. I can buy an Antex Soldering iron for just under $16 (£11.)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use a pair of pliers, a nail, or needle/pin of the desired size. An elastic band to hold the pliers handles shut reasonably tightly & thus hold the nail/pin in place. I then use the electric ring on my cooker. I heat the pin/nail up, make a hole & repeat.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
True, but it's good to learn about other cultures and terminology

Like, when Americans go to the "gas station"

In the UK, this is gas... :D
$15 :oops::oops: Here I would expect to pay about £5 for a cheap soldering iron. I can buy an Antex Soldering iron for just under $16 (£11.)
I believe less than $15 for a soldering iron with everything on the picture shown, delivered at your door the next day at no additional cost, is very hard to beat. Very happy if you have better deal on your side of the pond :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I literally only have one spider that will need a larger enclosure eventually. So again, no sense in buying a soldering iron.

But soldering irons have so many uses. Every tool kit should have a soldering iron it. I even have a gas powered soldering iron in my radio grab bag, so not only can I run my radios on solar power, but I can also repair things, or improve the antenna system etc, with no external power required.

Personally I like my electric soldering irons to have silicone leads. Mostly because they make the iron feel so much better in the hand, but also because silicone is safer when it comes into contact with heat, as it does not melt & expose you to the risk of electric shocks.

For my enclosures, I use a cheap & nasty gun type iron, that someone gave me, years ago. It does the job & means it's getting used.

Latest posts