• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice please - not a pretty sight

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My 4 year old Tapinauchenius violaceus moulted March 23rd (11 days ago).

I took this the day after and she appeared to be just sitting on her moult.
DSCF2088 (2).JPG

27th March. view from the back of her tank
DSCF2125 (2).JPG

I managed to pull some of the moult out from beneath her
DSCF2126.JPG

31st March She finally moved and turned round to show her rear end
DSCF2141 (2).JPG

Today she has turned round but she's not looking good and I really can't work out what has happened or what I can do to help her other than misting her every day.
DSCF2170 (2).JPG

Please can anyone give me some advice on how I can help her. help

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Sorry to hear this.

Do you think any bit of the moult is stuck underneath her or is she completely out?

Other members will come up with ideas which will be more helpful. Not sure there is much you can do other than placing a large shallow waterdish right in front of her face. If she's capable of turning she can move onto it.

One of my terrestrial slings choose to moult on the wall like an arboreal a few nights ago, and got partly stuck. Took 40 mins to free it. Hopefully it'll be ok.

Really hoping your girl will regain her strength and pull through.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry to hear this.

Do you think any bit of the moult is stuck underneath her or is she completely out?

Other members will come up with ideas which will be more helpful. Not sure there is much you can do other than placing a large shallow waterdish right in front of her face. If she's capable of turning she can move onto it.

One of my terrestrial slings choose to moult on the wall like an arboreal a few nights ago, and got partly stuck. Took 40 mins to free it. Hopefully it'll be ok.

Really hoping your girl will regain her strength and pull through.

There could be some moult under her but what worries me she appears to have a leg or 2 stuck over the top of her and I can't get a clear view of her fangs etc.

What a strange thing for your little one to do, I hope it's ok.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My 4 year old Tapinauchenius violaceus moulted March 23rd (11 days ago).

I took this the day after and she appeared to be just sitting on her moult.
View attachment 44530

27th March. view from the back of her tank
View attachment 44531

I managed to pull some of the moult out from beneath her
View attachment 44532

31st March She finally moved and turned round to show her rear end
View attachment 44534

Today she has turned round but she's not looking good and I really can't work out what has happened or what I can do to help her other than misting her every day.
View attachment 44533

Please can anyone give me some advice on how I can help her. help
Poor baby. Is any of the moult still attached? I suspect after that amount of time, if the legs were not released then they will have hardened inside the old moult.

@Jess S makes a good point that the outer skin still looks wet especially round the abdomen. Is she responsive to any movement near her? Looks as though hardly moved and so I would also try to her some water in her. Either drops in the mouth or move water dish close to her.

I can't really offer any more advice but hope she pulls through for you hun. x

Last edited:

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, looks like she got stuck. If she survives and starts eating she will molt again soon and hopefully better than this time.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Poor baby. Is any of the moult still attached? I suspect after that amount of time, if the legs were not released then they will have hardened inside the old moult.

@Jess S makes a good point that the outer skin still looks wet especially round the abdomen. Is she responsive to any movement near her? Looks as though hardly moved and so I would also try to her some water in her. Either drops in the mouth or move water dish close to her.

I can really offer any more advice but hope she pulls through for you hun. x

I can't see if there's any moult left attached.

I've been misting her every day so the web around her is moist too.. She is responsive, hates being misted and she's turned round a few times so she is mobile.

All I can hope is a quick next moult and a better outcome.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't see if there's any moult left attached.

I've been misting her every day so the web around her is moist too.. She is responsive, hates being misted and she's turned round a few times so she is mobile.

All I can hope is a quick next moult and a better outcome.
may have to pre kill or at least immobiliser prey or tong feed to try and build her up for a bit too. Keep us updated. Fingers crossed for you

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
There could be some moult under her but what worries me she appears to have a leg or 2 stuck over the top of her and I can't get a clear view of her fangs etc.

I blame the dry centrally heated air, despite our best efforts to counteract.

In my case it was my under 1cm parvulus. It was in a sling vial with substrate up around 2-3 cm from the top to stop the little bastard climbing. Maybe the substrate was too high. I've taken a couple cms out just in case.

It was a b**** getting it unstuck, moult was stuck like superglue underneath. Will show you the pictures later, I'll make a thread, after you get all this resolved.

Funnily enough, it also had 2 legs (legs 3 &4) sticking up. They are still wonky. Sometimes one of them is sticking up like a pea**** spider(!) But then it puts them down. Maybe it'll drop one or both at some point. It's hanging in there for now anyway....

I'm hoping your girl will pull through x

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
may have to pre kill or at least immobiliser prey or tong feed to try and build her up for a bit too. Keep us updated. Fingers crossed for you

In a few days you might offer her a squeezed cricket...

I'd already thought of prekilled cricket for her, I'll give her a few more days then try her.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club

Just noticed u said about a leg or 2 stuck over the top of her. That's exactly what the parvulus looked like. Though in its case the whole moult was stuck underneath where the abdomen meets the carapace and had dried onto some of the abdomen, and legs 3&4.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just noticed u said about a leg or 2 stuck over the top of her. That's exactly what the parvulus looked like. Though in its case the whole moult was stuck underneath where the abdomen meets the carapace and had dried onto some of the abdomen, and legs 3&4.

I've been lucky in the past the few stuck moults I've had have been easily removed with a damp brush.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Shes stuck...she's probably already hardened up. Unfortunately misting wont help...they're water proof. You have to get the moisture between the exos with a paint brush. The problem is as she hardens they swell up to size also. Try to remove what you can carefully.

Soulman

I had a look on youtube,I no what some say about youtube.Sounds like your spider got a bit tangled up.did mention corn starch good for wounds.but not any more help.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Shes stuck...she's probably already hardened up. Unfortunately misting wont help...they're water proof. You have to get the moisture between the exos with a paint brush. The problem is as she hardens they swell up to size also. Try to remove what you can carefully.

I really need new glasses, I'm having problems seeing what it stuck and what isn't. She's very defensive and is in a tight corner otherwise I'd be able to get her out of the tank and get a better look at her. Now she's moving more I hope she will come forward so I can cup her.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I really need new glasses, I'm having problems seeing what it stuck and what isn't. She's very defensive and is in a tight corner otherwise I'd be able to get her out of the tank and get a better look at her. Now she's moving more I hope she will come forward so I can cup her.
Not the type of spider you want to pinch grab either. :confused:

Latest posts