• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Addicted to buying tarantulas

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I cant stop buying tarantulas it has been my addiction for years . Tarantulas already took over my brain and now taking over my room this is very good but very bad at the same time. How do i control it?
you dont. You embrace it. I am a self confessed "Arachnoholic" and wouldn't have it any other way.
Just do what I did, build a spider room.
20191231_141516.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use to work as a hypnotist & in mental health as a Social Worker & my wife still works in Mental Health as a Nurse & we both keep buying new T's etc. For example we went & brought some crickets earlier & she brought a Praying Mantis too.
I see a lot of therapy pets when I visit schools as part of my job in the Civil Service. I am trying to get them to embrace Tarantulas as therapy pets. Not going too well though atm. ha ha

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I see a lot of therapy pets when I visit schools as part of my job in the Civil Service. I am trying to get them to embrace Tarantulas as therapy pets. Not going too well though atm. ha ha

My daughters school use to keep Hissing ****roaches.

E

ExMember

I catch flack from people about having too many spiders. Been accused of hoarding before. Funny though. I have approx 20 spiders and most are slings. They fit on one shelf. That's kinda like saying someone is an alchohic for drinking one pint once a week!

Lizards on the other hand.... I have 3 rooms of lizards :eek: and I can't get more because I have run out of quarantine rooms!

gognomie

I don't generally buy online but have the same problem at expos. I'll go and say buy 3 or 4 (or pick up preorders) and walk out with 7! The next one I may just buy a couple of AF's and pass on slings.

Congrats on the Eupalaestrus campestratus! I have never been more excited about a spider when I preordered it. Mine is a ridiculous faster though. Went almost 6 months between premolt to it's next feeding.
I managed to pick up two more e.campestratus at an expo and grabbed a couple of h.chilensis because I really really feel like I need some extra frustration in my life. o_O My b.emelia sling has been buried for.... four months now, if it had been my first or only tarantula I honestly don't think I'd be in the hobby in any capacity at the moment.

gognomie

I know this is a bit of a joke (and honestly, the idea is pretty funny! :p) but I've had something world-shattering happen recently and my T's/phasmids have helped a lot with dealing with the day. When I go and feed and clean up after them I put on some music and zone out for a couple of hours and come out of it refreshed and calmer. They really are a happy place.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I managed to pick up two more e.campestratus at an expo and grabbed a couple of h.chilensis because I really really feel like I need some extra frustration in my life. o_O My b.emelia sling has been buried for.... four months now, if it had been my first or only tarantula I honestly don't think I'd be in the hobby in any capacity at the moment.

I howled when I read that lmao :) thanks, I needed something to smile about this morning.
Congratulations on your pickups. Photos please! Would love to see even microscopic H chilensis :)
Edi: I must have been typing that at the same time you were writing your other post, so I didn't see it til after. Hope you didn't think I was being insensitive :)

E

ExMember

I know this is a bit of a joke (and honestly, the idea is pretty funny! :p) but I've had something world-shattering happen recently and my T's/phasmids have helped a lot with dealing with the day. When I go and feed and clean up after them I put on some music and zone out for a couple of hours and come out of it refreshed and calmer. They really are a happy place.

Same here! And I feel the same about my animals as you. Don't know what I would do without them :)

E

ExMember

]

My klaasi has been mia since a molt in November.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are a lot if people here that have had trauma in their life and get a lot of pleasure/positive energy from keeping Ts. If it works, keep doing it I say. I have been keeping Ts for over 30 years and in that time suffered a few down times but they have always been my 'constant'.

Justine

I cant stop buying tarantulas it has been my addiction for years . Tarantulas already took over my brain and now taking over my room this is very good but very bad at the same time. How do i control it?
Post some pictures of your room!! I am dying to see it. As long as you take good care of ALL of your tarantula’s and it’s not hindering your life or you don’t live like a hoarder.... what’s the harm. You’re like a cat lady but with Tarantulas ‍♀️
Justine

gognomie

I howled when I read that lmao :) thanks, I needed something to smile about this morning.
Congratulations on your pickups. Photos please! Would love to see even microscopic H chilensis :)
Edi: I must have been typing that at the same time you were writing your other post, so I didn't see it til after. Hope you didn't think I was being insensitive :)
This little cutie is nearly a year old, even at this age, they show signs of the temperament they're famous for.
Also, heck no! Please don't think you said something wrong!
h.chil.jpg

There are a lot if people here that have had trauma in their life and get a lot of pleasure/positive energy from keeping Ts. If it works, keep doing it I say. I have been keeping Ts for over 30 years and in that time suffered a few down times but they have always been my 'constant'.
They also give me something to look forward to in the long term too, especially the slings, I'm not just going from day to day but now I have something to look forward to in years time.
Though, I love the idea of an Asian fossorial therapy tarantula. :D

smallbike

3 Year Member
Am I strange? I haven't bought any tarantulas since November. Not that I haven't been looking!:p
I don’t think so! I had been thinking of adding another but I had a house fire last summer and was glad I only had to worry about the one T plus my cat. Now I’m scared to take on more than I can carry in an emergency :(