• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yay new T arrived

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Ordered an unsexed sub adult G.Pulchra yesterday and it just arrived
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404473592.096445.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404473617.015721.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404473651.454801.jpg

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Yay! That's awesome pal.
Makes me wanna order another now lol
Lovely isnt it, it walked straight out of container and onto my hand. Had someone on other spider forum thingy go nuts with me coz of those pics, saying i was stupid and dangerous and how im stressing the spider out and that its idiots like me who will soon make it illegal for everyone to own tarantulas!!! Like WTF!

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Idiots mate! Your giving it a plat form to walk on not asking it to do back flips.
He's probably just pissed cos he doesn't have the nerve or respect to hold his own, even if he has one at all

The same guy had a go at me on another thread too, someone had said they bought a mexican red knee for their classroom, they werent going to let the children handle it but picked that type so that the teachers could easily get it in and out to do tank maintenance as they are meant to be docile, but she said it turned out to be really unfriendly and asked did anyone else have a grumpy one, so I replied saying yep, my red knee is a crazy ***** that flicks hairs if you so much as look in her direction and she threat poses when you open tank to feed her. So this guy jumps in again saying they are so docile so the only reason our Ts flick hairs is because im making her miserable and prob poking her and holding her all the time. I said i never try to get Marilyn out as I knew from her previous owner that she was hair flicker but he just carried on saying im trying to treat them like cats and dogs and other woman was stupid for having one in classroom blah blah blah. It got really heated in the end and he also said i was selfish owning a dog as dogs are pack animals and should all be together in wild running free and that dogs hate interaction and being touched and one day itl turn and kill a child and it will all be the fault of myself an other so called idiots for owning pets for our own selfish needs. Needless to say I left that spider site. I understand people have diff opinions but that guy just goes out of his way to attack people on there

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Hi
Congrats on your new tarantula, She (hoping for you) is really beautiful. I would love to own one of those but here in South Africa they are a bit harder to come by. Enjoy her, may she bring you much joy. :)

Its taken me seven years to find one by me for sale so I feel very very lucky to have one last. I really hope you will be able to find one soon :)

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Oh gosh the same guy kicking off the other day is going nuts on a "do you handle your T" thread. Instead of just answering with no i dont, hes calling people deluded about holding spiders and touch their pets
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404810620.796040.jpg

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Lovely T! Though I'm still squeamish about handling them.
But here's a question: if you do wish to start handling your T's, when should you start & when is it too late to do so? Can they acclimate to it as adults or do they become too wild after a point?
That guy sounds like a tool, honestly. He oughtn't be on the forum anyway because it technically might be argued that breeding any animal for captivity as a pet is unnatural and inhumane. And anyone who participates in these forums already cares enough to study & research their arachnid is already proving they're looking out for its best interest.

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
The thread got worse, only went back on there as some guy on my side sent me a friend request. Another guys goings nuts so i explained that on occasion a T will just walk onto my hand whilst im sorting tank out (not that i needed to justify myself to such an arsehole) then he kicked off saying thats no excuse coz he has old world species that he has to care for and hes never had to have contact with it. Thing is the people who are spouting all that have posted pics of them holding Ts. So i said I thought he was a "do as I say, not do as I do" type bully and that with such an aggressive attitude no ones going to feel comfortable asking questions etc on there.

All mine that I handle ive either raised from a sling so they are used to me but if ive bought subadult i open container they come in and theyve walked straight onto me. Ive never tried to pick them up ,but have had hand there by flower pot or top of tank if they are climbing then have let them walk onto me

LauraMI

3 Year Member
Thanks. Not looking to handle so your mentioning they step onto you is a good warning against my freaking out should it happen. I actually had a Day Gecko jump on me & escape while cleaning their viv. But didn't think to expect it from a tarantula.
Not to start a feud here, but you mentioned slings you've raised: did you routinely let them on you or no? I can't imagine my sling being too comfortable w/ the process. I'm mostly content to leave them be as I do the fish & geckos but the urge to have them out sometimes strikes.

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Pink toe slings are really quick and they run and jump like crazy so i wasnt alarmed when they got onto me and rosie slings ive let crawl onto me when ive moved them into larger tanks if ive put their smaller ones into larger ones if they didnt crawl out on their own accord. I dont do it daily or anything, but as ive raised them from babies i guess theyve got used to my movements etc when cleaning tanks and feeding so they arent startled by me, where as if you buy a larger spider even if they are friendly if youve got a diff speed of moving lid off tank to feed them etc than previous owner did then they may be a little jumpy. Each T has its own little personality and is diff. Like they say rosies are pet rocks abd mexican red knees are docile but my red knee is a nutter and there are plenty of people who have psychotic rosies lol

jujubees

3 Year Member
I've had a mean B. Boehmei before. Always flicking and going into defense posture, but on the other hand, my other boehmei was a calm and docile. Like novak said all Ts have personality. One of the reasons I love em :) A tarantula will usually let you know if they can be handeled. If they move a bit when you brush their abdomen they are usually good to handle. Any other movements like flicking, rearing or turning quickly to face the brush you prolly shouldnt handle it. At least from my experiance.

Latest posts