• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worst Nightmare

Wg25

3 Year Member
Hey guys
So I've always had this one thing that I personally think is one of the worst thing that can happen in the hobby (Not THE worst but definitely up there!). Dropping an enclosure.......!! As soon as I pick any of my enclosures up for whatever reason..that's usually the first thing that pops into my head!
South-Africa isn't known for earthquakes at all... The few we have are usually triggered by illegal mining. We had an earthquake in my town in August of 2014 and It was a 4 magnitude earthquake. Not that strong and it only lasted about 15 second......but it was strong enough to knock over a few shelves at a friends house. Shelves with over 18 enclosures on them!!!! You can probably imagine the amount of damage and fatalities!!! : | And to makes things worse.....more than half of his enclosures were glass!!!!
So yeah my question hehe.........
Has anyone ever dropped an enclosure?

corij

3 Year Member
i picked up a plastic enclosure to look at the underside to view my sling baboon tarantula which was dug deep in the substrate. id just got it above my head peering close to see it and it suddenly fell from my grip. it all spilled out on the floor ,onto a deep pile rug. An escaping T is my biggest fear ! i ran my fingers back n forward thru the carpet, where to god is it ?? after about ten minutes of searching i realized it was still in the enclosure ,looked scared stiff !

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've only had 1 slip out of my hand inside an ExoTerra and it only dropped a few inches. Luckily it landed the right way up, the lid stayed on but the T did look a little startled.

Rockpython

3 Year Member
I have dropped a couple enclosures. I think it's harder on me than on my Ts. My biggest fear is injuring a creature under my care.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i actually had a dream about this lol walking downstairs with an enclosure to rehouse the T and tripped, lid fell off and it was like the commercials for paper towels when they spill something with all the substrate flying out and the T spinning head over heels with his legs stuck straight out. Not sure how it ended. One of those dreams you wake up scratching your head going WTF?!?!?

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup, had my share. I think I shared it here a couple of months back. Made a mistake of taking an enclo by the lid and the lid popped out on me for some reason.

Then had a casualty when my son knocked over one of my enclos from the shelf, my porteri gone to T heaven so soon. :(

Latest posts