• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my tarantula :,(

SophwithCeciandKili

Hi all

This is our Kili We got it as a spiderling only 3weeks ago. Its all been fine until this morning when we noticed that he moved to the floor of his enclosure in this position. We thought it could have been a start of a molt but we are worring now that this could be the “death curl” we are not sure. It ate yesterday a small fruit fly- he did escaped his enclosure yesterday for about an hour or so but we found him and put it back to his house. Any support will be much appreciated ngl we are pretty worried.

Attachments

• IMG_4180.jpeg
    IMG_4180.jpeg
    919.1 KB · Views: 30

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It could well be a stress curl after his escape and recapture. Make sure he has water and leave him to recover.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It would be better just to dribble water on the substrate near his mouth rather than mist the whole enclosure.
Does he react if you touch him with a soft brush?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It doesn't sound good but I'd leave him be until tomorrow and try again with the brush.
Do you know if he could have fallen and injured himself when he escaped?

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Was Kili a C. versi? Hard to tell from the pics but I do know this species is very particular on their ventilation. Making sure the air is not stagnant and their is plenty of cross ventilation is a common practice with this one. Im so sorry that thigs are going tough for little guy.

SophwithCeciandKili

It doesn't sound good but I'd leave him be until tomorrow and try again with the brush.
Do you know if he could have fallen and injured himself when he escaped?
Hard to tell really as we didnt immidiately noticed his escaped. He didnt showed any injured when we recaptured him he seems fairly ok he chilled on my husband hand and then went in his enclosure.

SophwithCeciandKili

Was Kili a C. versi? Hard to tell from the pics but I do know this species is very particular on their ventilation. Making sure the air is not stagnant and their is plenty of cross ventilation is a common practice with this one. Im so sorry that thigs are going tough for little guy.
Yes he was. We had to put a little mesh on the top of his enclosure to prevent him escaping again. i wouldnt have thought this would stop ventilation that drastically :(

Sorry for your loss. I know the pain all to well. I know you said he escaped and was wondering if any insecticides had been used recently in your house. Since I got back into T keeping I try to keep insecticides out of the house for this reason. Just a thought.

SophwithCeciandKili

Sorry for your loss. I know the pain all to well. I know you said he escaped and was wondering if any insecticides had been used recently in your house. Since I got back into T keeping I try to keep insecticides out of the house for this reason. Just a thought.
Thanks. We don’t use insecticides really but we had fleas a couple of months ago and had to spray the house then. My husband doesn’t think the residue from the spray would still be there but I think they may as well and therefor he got poisoned :(

Latest posts