• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Arlo

Happy New Year! :)

As a New Year's resolution, Shelob has apparently decided to remodel her home and has been digging huge pieces of soil out of her tunnel since last night. What concerns me is that there is a small piece of cork holding up the tunnel (it's about as big as she is, maybe a bit smaller). It's a bit unnerving because I'm visiting my in-laws and won't be home to check on her progress. I know that she is webbing up the tunnel to prevent collapses from happening, and I know that, if the tunnel collapsed, she would be able to dig herself out, but could a piece of cork harm a 4 inch T. if it fell on her?

Gotta love these tiny bulldozers lol

Attachments

• VID_69100108_041835_344.mp4
    4.4 MB
  • VID_69070627_174322_901.mp4
    5.5 MB

Arlo

They web up the walls of their burrows. Even if it does collapse they are excellent diggers. Just make sure you don't have anything ungodly heavy in the enclosure that could cause a collapse.
Check out this young King baboon

Would a small piece of cork be considered "ungodly heavy" from a T's perspective?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No problem. Here's my curly. Her burrow is underneath the center of this enclosure.
20220101_102403.jpg
20220101_102254.jpg

She's got a tunnel with a egg chamber in the left corner too.
20200211_162119.jpg

Last edited:

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My G. pulchra, pulchripes and rosea have all dug such that their cork bark has become lopsided or caved in a bit and they survived. I have taken to having the cork bark wedged between the sides or buttressed by other cork bark to try and avoid this. Although one of my rosea slings is surely testing me as it digs out more and more of it's substrate.

I think they are more intelligent and vindictive than we know.

Arlo

My G. pulchra, pulchripes and rosea have all dug such that their cork bark has become lopsided or caved in a bit and they survived. I have taken to having the cork bark wedged between the sides or buttressed by other cork bark to try and avoid this. Although one of my rosea slings is surely testing me as it digs out more and more of it's substrate.

I think they are more intelligent and vindictive than we know.
Ah! You are right lol