• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why are many keepers so staunchly against hybrids?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thats why there arent too many ligers or tigons its because they cant breed in most cases

That is a good point. The following man supports hybridisation. And as someone once said. Show me your friends & I will show you, your future.

Joe-Exotic.jpg

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Alot of the tarantulas in the hobby are now band for import. So the last thing we need in the hobby is some retards screwing up the species.
Man I totally agree. For the most part I’m against wild caught specimens but I was actually happy to see wild caught lines of brachypelmas being sold recently. I don’t think it’s crazy to think they may be banned imports in the future and we definitely need those pure wild bloodlines in the US. I just pray people are being responsible and making sure that they have a pure boehmi and not a baumgarteni mix before breeding.

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
And don’t even get me started on everybody wanting the newest phormictopus species and breeding their full greens and green femurs and all the offspring look different and have different spermatheca. We just need to stop what the hell we’re doing and let the taxonomists figure **** out before we destroy the entire genus. That goes for xenesthis and pampho too. Every week there’s another sp or locality.

Jeef

3 Year Member
The reason people hybrid animals is to supposedly improve its visual appeal.

The answer to your question is simple. Tarantulas need no improvement.

People would chop the rear split window out of there corvette in the 60’s. That was a stupid move.
Or replace the manual wing windows with larger power windows in 50's cars and trucks. I love the wing windows!
View attachment 60580
If you wanna talk hybrids, this is as good a place as any to drop this:

The devil is in the details. I think the lines : "I'm gonna drive everybody wild 'Cause I'll have the only one there is around." is particularly relevant. Fortune and glory.

I'll also add that I think that there are folks who get to a point in a lot of hobbies where they think they are going to make this big discovery the hobby hasn't thought of yet. I'm not saying there aren't things to be discovered like say, m. balfouri communals, but there are also reasons things aren't done.

MBullock

3 Year Member
this is why i like true spiders more lol. true spiders are almost impossible to hybridize. even in one genus emboli can be shaped wildly different between species.