• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which tarantula

kify

3 Year Member
Hi

I just bought a sling on a markedplace today, it was supposed to be a Hapalopus spec. large colombia, but when I came home and got it out of it's tiny home, it looked completely different, than I expected.

I really need to know which tarantula it is, and I hope you can help me.
Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 003-001_850x570.JPG
    003-001_850x570.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 48

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At first glance I was thinking maybe and Avicularia species, but now I'm leaning towards L. violaceopes? If it's Lampropelma violaceopes, I'd be very careful having it on your hand.

Can you get a brighter pic, maybe from the top? Slings can be tricky to ID. :)

Last edited:

kify

3 Year Member
About not having it on my hand; Do you think it will bite, or jump away?

It seemed pretty calm on my hand earlier, but at the end it jumped from one hand to the other

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looking at that picture,could be misleading but Lampropelma Violaceopes are black/dark with brown hairs and then go browner as slings so I would not consider that to be one. Maybe a better picture ? In the way of lighting and color as well if possible,a close up.

Last edited:

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As far as I can tell it's definitely not a H. spec. I think Tomoran is right about it being a L. Violaceopes, it looks very arboreal to me.
I think with the "caution about handling" thing he means that even as a spiderling they are incredibly fast and as you found out can jump quite a bit.
As adults they are meant to be quite aggressive/defensive, and still lightning fast. Beautiful spiders though (quite big, too) and (correct me if I'm wrong) don't seem to be too hard to keep. Lucky you!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As far as I can tell it's definitely not a H. spec. I think Tomoran is right about it being a L. Violaceopes, it looks very arboreal to me.
I think with the "caution about handling" thing he means that even as a spiderling they are incredibly fast and as you found out can jump quite a bit.
As adults they are meant to be quite aggressive/defensive, and still lightning fast. Beautiful spiders though (quite big, too) and (correct me if I'm wrong) don't seem to be too hard to keep. Lucky you!

Thanks, Fuzzball79...exactly (I should have explained further). If it is an L. violaceopes, they are very fast and can jump. They can also be aggressive as they get older, so it could prove for a nasty surprise later on.

Looking forward to the new pics, kify! I'm still leaning toward either L. violaceopes or maybe L. nigerrimum, but Martin is right in that pics can be deceiving.

Last edited:

kify

3 Year Member
I will take new pics tomorrow in brought daylight.
At this point I am chocked and very disappointed. I bought a small docile spiderling, and got the total opposite :eek:

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At this point I am chocked and very disappointed. I bought a small docile spiderling, and got the total opposite :eek:

Well, I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I keep three Hapalopus sp. large colombias, and although they are a small species, they are not, in my experience, docile at all. They are quite quick little escape artists who can have quite an attitude for a smaller species. Gorgeous tarantulas, but feisty little guys. :)

kify

3 Year Member
Thanks Tomoran :) that sure made me feel a little better. Is there another small docile spider you can recommend instead? :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Nothing to be sad about,if its a singapore blue its the largest arboreal and one of the most beautiful. I have these,and I would not swop them for any specimen. Also,I am not trying to make you feel better even my profile picture will say it all its my female in my collection.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At the end of the day, you have a Tarantula not a kitten so a little feisty might actually be better than a pet rock, lol (says me who's too much of a chicken to buy an OBT, lol).
As for docile small species: I hear nothing but positives about Eulathus sp.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks Tomoran :) that sure made me feel a little better. Is there another small docile spider you can recommend instead? :)

For small and docile, I would highly recommend the Euathlus sp. red. I have three (one is mine and two I bought for my children) and all three are inquisitive, gentle, and tolerate handling very well. In fact, every time I open one of their enclosures for maintenance, they will crawl calmly out and sit in my hand. It's adorable. Just a wonderful species that doesn't get enough acclaim for being an excellent beginner. They do start very small as slings and have a tendency to fast when younger, but besides that, they are awesome.

Anthony York

3 Year Member
well if it a Singapore blue I say you got a great T it is on my wish list. just be careful handling it like everyone said they can be aggressive/defensive they also have potent venom, very fast and can possibly grow to 9in. God I want one.

kify

3 Year Member
Thanks guys for all your help :)
I definately will look into the Eulathus sp. red, Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to find it in my country (Denmark) :(

I just managed to get some new pics of my T, oh my it was fast. It jumped out of it's home at threw itself onto it's back :eek: Guess it played dead. The pics could be better, but it's the best I can do, so I really hope it's possible to ID it :)

010.JPG
011.JPG
040.JPG
053.JPG
059.JPG

Last edited:

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oops...didn't realize that you were in Denmark. Well, if you can get them there, the Euathlus sp. red are fantastic. Are you looking for small and docile (like a dwarf species) or can it be slightly larger T? There are other species that aren't quite as small but are considered "docile" (B. albopilosum comes to mind).

As for the new pics, I'm sticking with L. violaceopes. How are you currently keeping it?

I appreciate your lack of enthusiasm for accidentally purchasing this species, especially as you were looking for something small and docile. Do you feel up to the challenge of it, or is there a way you could possibly sell or trade it for another species that you would be comfortable with? It's one thing to jump into the deep end with a large, fast, potentially defensive species if you're prepared. However, it sounds like you were in NO way prepared to make this leap.

kify

3 Year Member
I'd rather go for a dwarf species, if they are docile that is. I don't know if it's possible to have it sent to me from another country, but it would be awesome if so :) I am also considering Cyriocosmus leetzi and Cyriocosmus elegans - both I find extremely beautiful, but I'm not sure how docile they are.

I really don't feel up to the challange of it, in fact it scares the s*** out of me :-/ At this point I don't know if I can trade or sell it to anyone, but I have to try.

I appreciate your understanding for me not wanting this species :)

kify

3 Year Member
I forgot to answer your question about how I am keeping it. This is how I bought it yesterday

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 15

kify

3 Year Member
I managed to get in contact with the guy from the marketplace who sold it to me, and he wrote that it's a Cyriopagopus spec. Sulawesi.