• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which avicularia?

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
I've never kept an arboreal T before but I'm thinking about it. (Okay who am I kidding, it's going to happen) Which avic do you recommend and why? I was leaning towards the avic avic, thinking maybe I would keep more than one in the same enclosure. Is that a good idea? If not avic avic then I was thinking about one of the smaller species. Thanks in advance.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never kept an arboreal T before but I'm thinking about it. (Okay who am I kidding, it's going to happen) Which avic do you recommend and why? I was leaning towards the avic avic, thinking maybe I would keep more than one in the same enclosure. Is that a good idea? If not avic avic then I was thinking about one of the smaller species. Thanks in advance.

Hello
- Going for docile any Avicularia would do,but the Laeta can be the difficult one with attitude.
- Going for communal,not an Avicularia. Rather a pokie,which is seen as highly tolerable towards each other. Not docile,higher venom rating over Avics by far.
- beautiful specimens both ways,Avics or pokies.
- There are other options in the hobby,like P.irminia P.cambridgei P.pulcher also a bit defensive.
- Lampropelma Violaceopes/Singapore blue is a very beautiful specimen as well,but not a T to be taken lightly at all. Reaching a huge size, with an attitude to match.

Just a few,there are many others,like irodopelma sp. Recife /Recife Beauty.

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
Thanks for the input. I going to stick with a new world T and have narrowed it down to an avicularia. It's good to know that a. Laeta can have an attitude. I don't plan on handling them (fast little buggers) but I can do without the attitude anyway.

khatchet

3 Year Member
I don't think there is any tarantula that you can keep together with out risk. I would go with the A Aviv to start. Never heard of any one being bite by one, they are skitish though. They don't cost to much ether not ever for a confirmed female.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the input. I going to stick with a new world T and have narrowed it down to an avicularia. It's good to know that a. Laeta can have an attitude. I don't plan on handling them (fast little buggers) but I can do without the attitude anyway.

Haha,it's a pleasure to give suggestions if and when I can. I have a few different ones,the hardiest of the Avics I've kept and have at the moment would be the common pink toe.
- Avicularia Avicularia/Guyana pink toe