• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When did you start using Latin names?

Roo

3 Year Member
Something weird, never really used to use Latin names for my animals.. Then suddenly I'm referring to all my T's by their proper and not common names.. I can't even remember trying to do it or learn :p

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I started using them pretty early on I guess, but it was only within the past 5 years or so that I actually learned how to properly pronounce most of them ;) I hate common names now to be honest. I suppose if there weren't so many different ones that apply to the same species, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but they generate so much confusion. Since there's only one Latin name, that makes it easier to tell what species someone may be referring to when describing the spider. I don't know why, but I just feel stupid saying certain common names out loud.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My son and I use a mix of common and latin names talking to each other discussing Ts. We still can't pronounce most of the latin names so it makes it easier in a verbal discussion. I still can't for the life of me say chromatopelma cyaneopubescens without getting tongue tied, so saying GBB is faster and much easier.

Joining this forum is when i first started using Latin names, it cuts down on the confusion. We know exactly which T is being discussed. I spent a lot of time on google looking up the latin names my first week or two here lol but now i can see the latin name and know which T is being talked about on almost all. There's still a few i have to look up but i'm getting there :)

Meludox

3 Year Member
I started using Latin names pretty much right from the get-go, so much actually that it's gotten to the point where I don't know the common names of a lot of species. :p

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My son and I use a mix of common and latin names talking to each other discussing Ts. We still can't pronounce most of the latin names so it makes it easier in a verbal discussion. I still can't for the life of me say chromatopelma cyaneopubescens without getting tongue tied, so saying GBB is faster and much easier.

Joining this forum is when i first started using Latin names, it cuts down on the confusion. We know exactly which T is being discussed. I spent a lot of time on google looking up the latin names my first week or two here lol but now i can see the latin name and know which T is being talked about on almost all. There's still a few i have to look up but i'm getting there :)

That's always a fun one to try to say properly. After viewing a few youtube videos on that species I am now able to say it properly. The first time I heard the guy in the video say "Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens" I didn't even realize until several seconds later that that was the species who's name he had just said. For some reason it just didn't click right away, probably because I had never heard it said out loud. There are actually a few species I believe that don't even have common names.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I still can't pronounce "Acanthoscurria" without stumbling a couple of times, lol. Maybe this helps some people:
http://atshq.org/articles/beechwp1.html (Scientific names and how to pronounce them)

Anyway, it depends on who I'm talking to. To non T owners it wouldn't make any sense when I tell them about my Tapiaucheneus Gigas or Avicularia Versicolor, Orange Tree Spider and Martinique or Antilles Pink Toe will do. Although I sometimes have to think hard to remember some of the common names.
When at home we talk about them in nicknames mainly, Stripy(A. Geniculata), Pinkie (formerly Bluey), Orange Climby Thing, etc.

bookac

3 Year Member
I started using them , right after i join this forum(1 week after my first T ), because i found out that using the latin names is much better and understandable..

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Before keeping Ts, I used to be an aquatic gardener or aqua scaper if you will, where aquatic plants are pretty much referred to by using scientific names. That said, Latin names then is more common for me and I used it then and there upon keeping my first T. And sometimes it suffices to say that I remember them easier. :D

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
from the beginning.... I will still call my red knee a red knee but that's because when I say B. smithi to my kids they look at me like I am talking alien lol but they will learn just as we all have

Latest posts