• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When did you get your first H. maculata?

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
I'm pretty much in love with these species, I think they're stunning. However I still consider myself somewhat new to the hobby, and I have yet to get an OW species (although it won't be long til I do).

Anyway, I know getting an H. maculata as my first OW is probably not the best or safest idea. I've done my research. The question is, how did you know you were ready for an H. mac? How long had you been in the hobby? How many OW had you had before you got one?

Thanks!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
H.macs are great spiders. They are very shy, I have 4 adult females, and I see them very rarely.
They're not typically aggressive/defensive, but they are very fast, and have among the most potent venom of all tarantulas hence, they should never be handled. Time has nothing to do with whether or not you're ready. If you can look and not touch, If you're prepared to not see your H.mac for months at a time, and more importantly if you're comfortable keeping one of the most toxic tarantulas in the hobby, than go for it. It's all about your personal comfort level and what you want from a tarantula

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
Wow! She's gorgeous. I can't get over how beautiful they are. Thanks for the input, I will definitely be considering getting one for my first OW.... Can't wait!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't express enough, It's not about bravery, it's about comfort and respect. Tarantulas are not aggressive, they're defensive. If left alone they do no harm. When someone gets bit, it's due too carelessness.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I find that getting the defensive spiders as slings helps, as you grow along with the spider. Kinda get used to the speed as a sling rather than a running adult female out of her shipping container.

Tara Russell

3 Year Member
Yeah that probably would give me a heart attack your probably right I should get a baby and see how it goes from there what would be a good starter?

LeahThomas

3 Year Member
I find that getting the defensive spiders as slings helps, as you grow along with the spider. Kinda get used to the speed as a sling rather than a running adult female out of her shipping container.

Not to mention the fact that slings are cheaper for a college student :D

Totally agree though. Plus watching them grow is half the fun!

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
To give you an idea, my first tarantula was a Ceratogyrus darlingi when I was about 12. Exotic tarantulas only became available in SA around 7 years ago, so before that all we could keep were local Araneomorphs or baboon spiders illegally.
I kept OW spiders for over 10 years before I got my first new world and somehow survived.
I think it depends on each individual person, but as long as you show respect you should be ok. :)