• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What's your go-to Substrate? and why?

Dr. Phibes

Looking to see if you have a straight substrate or do you mix? Been using Reptisoil in a number of my enclosures and I don't mist and only dump a small water cap once a week or two in the corner to add moisture. I do see some mold at times on the surface of the soil which I def don't want spores growing. A few of mine I did a coconut fiber mixed with Reptisoil which does not hold moisture like the straight soil. My Brachy's and Aphonopelma's seem to love digging in the dirt and bulldoze a lot. Just looking for the most healthy option you old school keepers have found your go to? Thanks much

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
I used to get coco fiber in 60 liter loose packs.It was convenient as it comes dry.It has the disadvantage of being in good and bad batches as some developed yellow mould as soon as it touches water and others were just fine.
Used sedge peat mixed with vermiculite too.
Now I am using plain top soil mixed with vermiculite (3:1 )and find it to retain moisture better,to be fairly consistent in nature(you get some batches that are a bit sandy but not to the point that it matters)Also dirt cheap.lol
Down side being that there is little colour change between wet one and damp one and is more difficult to tell difference unlike coco fiber
Regards Konstantin

MBullock

3 Year Member
I use a mixture of sand silt and clay for a natural substrate. saturated then allowed to dry. Sometimes i dont even wait to introduce them, and it really doesnt seem to bother them. alot of the people that give me flak for this, and every time it's the same claim- It scratches their book lungs.
the reality is SOME genera dislike it- namely more tender moisture-dependent genera that are endemic to rainforests which tend to have soils of 100% clay. but most tarantulas are actually found in that specific soil mixture- sand silt and clay.

Just dont use calci-sand. it burns arachnid cuticle. bad to inhale, too.

Jeef

3 Year Member
I keep all new world terrestrials. Mostly Aphonopelmas, Tliltocatls and Brachypelmas.

I used to use 100% coco fiber. Just recently I started mixing in a handful or two of vermiculite after getting a Xenesthis..

My only gripe with 100% coco fiber is that after a while, it shrinks and pulls away from the sides of the enclosure. That is enough of a gap for crickets to hide in. I'm not sure if the vermiculite is going to mitigate that or not. Time will tell.

Sugar Wolf

I keep all new world terrestrials. Mostly Aphonopelmas, Tliltocatls and Brachypelmas.

I used to use 100% coco fiber. Just recently I started mixing in a handful or two of vermiculite after getting a Xenesthis..

My only gripe with 100% coco fiber is that after a while, it shrinks and pulls away from the sides of the enclosure. That is enough of a gap for crickets to hide in. I'm not sure if the vermiculite is going to mitigate that or not. Time will tell.
I have the shrinking happen with the Reptisoil as well it sure is annoying lol.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
almost every soil mix will expand when wet and shrink in time when it dries out. I just sort of break the edges with tweezers during maintenance to close the gap on top so pray doesn't go in there
Regards Konstantin

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have the shrinking happen with the Reptisoil as well it sure is annoying lol.

I love the shrinkage, especially with desert species, as it allows me to add a reasonable amount of water & not wet the surface. So they get some humidity, but not dampness under foot.

CAcowgirl

100% coconut fiber. I have all new world species, mostly terrestrial, but several established C. versicolor. I never need to overwater them and they do not get fungus. I tend to feed prekilled prey so that I can verify the prey has been eaten and minimize any rotting meals growing mold.

Latest posts