• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what you think?...possible pre molt

kaz

3 Year Member
WP_20151102_006.jpg
WP_20151102_005.jpg
ok so my redleg sling likes digging so I put it in a different pot to give it some more depth to tunnel, fed her before moving her and it ate fine. Anyway moved it into the pot and it started tunneling over night, placed a cricket in there and noticed a mound of dirt covering the entrance. If crickets not gone soon will remove it. Just thought it was comical. Is this likely a sign it doesn't want disturbance due to premolt!! Just found it intriguing!!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ah I see. Well just for future reference, it's usually better to put them on the sides of the container.

kaz

3 Year Member
was gna say thankyou for your concern tho lol and may attempt to get the tiny screwdriver set out if it really needs it!! Haha

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Holes on the sides allow cross-ventilation which is more important for arboreals and more species that need lots of moisture, but I think it's more effective in general at allowing good airflow. Just something to keep in mind, but it's not 100 percent necessary with a Brachy.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah @kaz that could be possible premolt. Just keep an eye on the little guy and offer it some food weekly until it decides to come out and eat. Might just want left alone. MY b. smithi did that for like 2 months when it was a sling and i just layed a dead cricket at its door weekly until it started taking them.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 11632
View attachment 11631
ok so my redleg sling likes digging so I put it in a different pot to give it some more depth to tunnel, fed her before moving her and it ate fine. Anyway moved it into the pot and it started tunneling over night, placed a cricket in there and noticed a mound of dirt covering the entrance. If crickets not gone soon will remove it. Just thought it was comical. Is this likely a sign it doesn't want disturbance due to premolt!! Just found it intriguing!!
Very good indication of pre-molt. I'd kill the cricket and leave it for a day, then take it out. Red legs are B boehmei right? I always get confused by common names. I love boehemi..best Brachy, in my opinion. I like the klassi too, just aint paying 500 dollars for a female..

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very good indication of pre-molt. I'd kill the cricket and leave it for a day, then take it out. Red legs are B boehmei right? I always get confused by common names. I love boehemi..best Brachy, in my opinion. I like the klassi too, just aint paying 500 dollars for a female..
I believe it is, but I've heard B.Emilia referred to as the Mexican Red Leg as well as the Mexican Painted Leg. Boehmei I often hear referred to as the Mexican Fire Leg, but I've heard people call them red legs on a few occasions. Who knows. I really can't stand common names. I actually saw a guy at a convention selling a species labled "Orange Bottle Brush". Turned out They were just C.cyaneopubescens.

kaz

3 Year Member
yea its Emilia, I always forget how to spell them properly or my autocorrect changes it, so I thought it would save confusion haha I do prefer scientific names but just saves me time and effort double checking IV spelt it correctly. Bohemia <<< autocorrect boehmei, is fire leg think some people get them confused, dunno why lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I believe it is, but I've heard B.Emilia referred to as the Mexican Red Leg as well as the Mexican Painted Leg. Boehmei I often hear referred to as the Mexican Fire Leg, but I've heard people call them red legs on a few occasions. Who knows. I really can't stand common names. I actually saw a guy at a convention selling a species labled "Orange Bottle Brush". Turned out They were just C.cyaneopubescens.
Lol, nice to see some knowledgeable dealers in the hobby...

Latest posts