• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What Ts can harm my cat?

ScottW

3 Year Member
Weird question I know, but the rule in my house that my SO can't own anything that if for some reason got out, would kill or serious maime my cats or dogs.

So quick list of species that would be -seriously- (more then just painful) harmful to cats/dogs would be great.
You will get many responses but the fact is we don't know, because it doesn't happen very often. The story about a German Shepard being killed by a tarantula sounds dubious, at best...I'll certainly be checking that shortly, and I'm hoping for a solid source of info on that topic, instead of some drama queen on a bite report forum stating that it happened. But as to your question : Just don't buy old world T's, and you should be fine. There are plenty of new world T's to choose from, some with serious attitude problems that will give you that "old world feel" haha. Hope this helped.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
There's been 7 documented reports (at the time I read this) of Australian tarantulas biting dogs; all of the dogs died, including large ones. Another reason not to get species beyond your skill/experience level.
I believe going to Tarantulas.co.za is where the report that Poec54 is referring to. I thought I book marked the page but apparently didn't. [emoji17]

Aussie T's have developed highly toxic venom since they are in very harsh environment and food sources are limited. If my memory is correct Phlogius sp. was mentioned as one of the culprits.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

ScottW

3 Year Member
Emailing toxicon paper on australian theraphosids.pdf
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2IgE7VpMIPlUmM5RE5qaVBSR28/edit?usp=docslist_api

This will put all doubt aside,and just to put it in perspective this is a toxicology report and Hainanum wasn't even looked at and is the tarantula with the highest peptide count ever recorded.

"significantly more toxic to domestic animals, cats, mice, rats, dogs and birds" EVERY recorded case of dog bite proved fatal..that's really amazing. Time for another research binge :) Thanks again for the link !

I believe going to Tarantulas.co.za is where the report that Poec54 is referring to. I thought I book marked the page but apparently didn't. [emoji17]

Aussie T's have developed highly toxic venom since they are in very harsh environment and food sources are limited. If my memory is correct Phlogius sp. was mentioned as one of the culprits.

Thank you very much. I stand corrected..and slightly disturbed. lol

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
"significantly more toxic to domestic animals, cats, mice, rats, dogs and birds" EVERY recorded case of dog bite proved fatal..that's really amazing. Time for another research binge :) Thanks again for the link !

Thank you very much. I stand corrected..and slightly disturbed. lol
It is a learning curve for all,I enjoy learning new things each day.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A well built enclosure is still way cheaper then veterinary bills, not to mention even the loss of a pet entirely.

Terra Blue professional series are quite good for more venomous animals. They're built like panzer tanks.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I know this is a old thead but wanted to share my experiences with pets. I have 4 cats and 2 dogs. They all are exposed to the Ts every day.(someone is always home) If we go out everyone is locked up in their kennels. I have a more than average collection of Ts. I have many Old world Ts down to T. Stirmi's larger than my wife's Chihuahua. I have all the larger species in exo terra enclosures with locks and my slings and juveniles are in containers with screw on lids I've made from Wal-Mart. The cats all watch the Large Ts walk around but that is all they do. It's like they know they don't want to mess with them. How ever i keep the slings up higher out of view just because they do get more excited with little guys. I do lock up the cats and dogs when I do transfers and deep cleanings. They only exception is Lucy my pitbull on feeding day. She has a fascination with my male T.stirmi watching him eat (hes at her viewing level). She sits there and watches him hunt and eat. She loves it. I would never refuse to keep a certain species because it may or may not kill one of my fury pets. I'm in control and it's my responsibility to make everyone safe and I trust me. Ive been doing this for over 35 years without a single escape or close call. The skies the limit...enjoy all your critters.

Timothy

3 Year Member
Also go to Youtube type sites as well as those sites that claim to show you the 10 most deadly spiders in the world almost all are from Australia and none are Tranchulas. But spiders can kill humans esp children.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also go to Youtube type sites as well as those sites that claim to show you the 10 most deadly spiders in the world almost all are from Australia and none are Tranchulas. But spiders can kill humans esp children.
There is actually an article out on the web (no pun intended) that concerns exactly what you mentioned. I don't remember what genius wrote it (I say that as sarcastically as possible), and ready for the funny part? The Aphonopelma johnnycashi was ranked as the 5th (I believe) most venomous spider in the world.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The A. Johnnycashi species is often found in liquor stores, bars and pharmacies. The high alcohol and drug content mixed with the already toxic venom makes them extremely dangerous....:D

Just kidding...;)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

The Australian funnel web spider is deadly to humans but antivenom is available.

The whistling spiders, which are bona fide tarantulas, are 100% fatal to dogs but with zero known human fatalities. One would assume that these Australian tarantulas would really ruin the rest or your week if it nailed you.

That's why I was wondering about cats. My ex feral cat Nyx has a prey drive that is out of this world. Although my L Klugi gives her a run for the money on that for a close second place, Nyx goes ballistic if birds larger then herself appear upon the sundeck.

Cat toys that look like inverts also get a massive attack response. In my last apartment, she single handily battled the roach infestations and killed a centipede that entered during a rain storm when I was at work.

That one bit her at least twice and she has a swollen paw and the side of her face was swollen.

Sadly enough, my girlfriend tossed the remains before I got home, but says she thought the centipede was at least 6" long.

The vet advised keeping her home if the vitals were stable because without knowing the species, any meds could interact with the venom. Nyx made a complete recovery within 48 hours, erasing any doubts I had about keeping her even though she was a litterboxed trained wild animal that could only interact through play and not handling.

In Baltimore, that would make it an exotic centipede. No native species in Maryland even comes close to that size. Without seeing it myself, it's impossible to determine the ratio of drama vs fact.

BTW: the roaches looked more like lats then your typical German roach now that I think about it.

That's why I'm concerned.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't rule out serious injury or death, and I wouldn't try to judge based on old or new world. I keep both, and own dogs and cats. And I agree with the people saying just keep the spiders where they belong, in their enclosures. Unfortunately that blanket statement doesn't rule out accidents. Don't matter how good or experienced you are, accidents happen. Its worth consideration, and discussion.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One thing that I feel helps is having a high quality well designed enclosure, and keeping it out of sight.

Fortunately enough, Nyx is a ground pounding cat that doesn't like getting on anything higher then a couch or once in a while a kitchen table.

TokeHound

I have 3 dogs, 2 ferrets, a cat and a hamster. Their safety is always my number one concern. Personally, I just make sure all my containers have the correct size holes in them and the lids are snap on, magnetized, or weighted down by something heavy. I also keep my T's in a room with a door closed, so none of my animals can even get curious enough to go into the room. Just be smart about containing your venomous pets ;)

Latest posts