• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what have i done

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
So,.i had to open my big mouth.

I love all things purple. I'd love to have a purple pink toe, or a purple bloom, or an indian violet someday. I love purple.

I had to open my big mouth and say those words to the people i ordered my BF's Christmas present from.

Guess who got a small angry purple surprise when she opened the box.

The spider i got for N8tive is perfectly well mannered little spot of sunshine. Sweet little thing that is just,.honestly,.the most gentle thing ive ever seen. Might be a sweety, might be pre-molt. We will see.

What was hidden in the cup under the ray of sunshine?

A small furious purple terror. I am not qualified for this.

I asked N8t to take her,(he/she/it) but he said 'no, it was meant as a surprise for you, you keep her. But i will help you care for her, just know she's yours". So basically,.shes nuts, and im stuck with her @_@.

Now, i dont want to get rid of her or sell her at all! She's my surprise Christmas gift. But i wanted N8t to take responsibility for her care becausei just feel that she's way beyond my level.

But he said he's going to help me and show me what to do,..

oh lord the handful i have now lol.

WhiteRabbit

3 Year Member
nate says those are illegal in the US? is that true?

Oh wait,.he says he was joking. He was making a 'the spider must be a commie' joke.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm a bit confused here. You don't want to sell or get rid of the tarantula, yet you pretty much openly admitted that it's beyond your comfort level. Now not to sound pessimistic in any way here, but that's often a rather bad sign. I mean you really shouldn't have to feel overwhelmed by or afraid of an animal that you are caring for. What about when it comes time to rehouse it? I suppose at this point we can only hope for the best and trust that should anything go wrong that you are able to remain calm throughout. If the thing is really too much for you to deal with, I would advise just giving it away. I know you said you don't want to, and it ultimately is up to you, but it could always be for the best. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Okay, then it's also not an option to send back your boyfriend to his previous owner? Is he an OW advanced sp.? Maybe he has urticating hairs? lol!!!

Jokes asides, Chilobrachys fimbriatus is a great sp.! Beautiful, not so big but with such an attitude! I really like to see these tiny creatures threatening a person as tall as me!!! Like "Back off, you giant, or it's gonna turn reaaaaallllly bad!"

I've offered mine a good retreat, and it always go back inside when I touch the enclosure. No problems for me, no threat, nothing.

You can give them either deep substrate, and they'll dig a burrow underground (as you know for yours, it'll like it deep, Purple!) - you'll rarely see them. Or you don't give too much substrate, but instead a lot of branches and leaves for them to build their retreat with their silk (and trust me: they really like to spin, builiding masterworks of arts!!!) - more risky, but so beautiful. In both cases, it's better to give them a good sized enclosure so that you have more room to work without disturbing the spider.

Anyway, great sp., great gift (kudos to your beloved one), as stated you'll learn a lot with it and I'm sure you'll be alright. Sometimes the rehousing is kinda rock'n'roll (but I like it!), but as you are two, one with the catchcup, the other one with the cuffs, it's gonna be fine.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i also said that my boyfriend. who i live with, will be showing me proper husbandry and helping me out so that i wont feel overwhelmed.
Oh I see. Well that's very fortunate for you both lol. As silly as this may seem because it's easier said than done, the best thing to do is always to remain calm when things don't go as planned. I always try to rehouse in a wide-open space so the spider has things to hide under, should it decide to run. The only ones that have really given me much trouble are the S.calceatum and the H.maculata. Especially cause those are two I REALLY would not want to be tagged by ever, and the S.calceatum is probably the most likely species in my collection to do so. If the tarantula bolts though, the best thing to do is to just let it go. As crazy as that sounds, it will have to stop for a few seconds in between running, and that's when you move in. Many people's first instinct when a fast tarantula surprises them, is to slam the lid down as quickly as possible, which often ends badly for the spider. I'm guilty of having done this myself in the past, and I'm extremely lucky the tarantulas in each case wasn't injured. I'm not saying this is what you'll do, but it is often an immediate reaction that many have. After all, most of us don't want a highly venomous and/or defensive spider loose in the house, especially if we have other pets or people living in the house with us. Again, good luck to you, hope you enjoy it. I like this genus a lot.

Thistles

3 Year Member
My sister likes purple. She loves my LV.

So if I understand your post right she was a freebie when you ordered a present for N8? Quite a freebie! They do have exceptionally potent venom but as long as you give her deep enough substrate to burrow you should be alright. I never had issues with mine, mostly because her toes would disappear quickly whenever I approached. Great webber, too.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Chilobrachys aren't that tough to deal with, don't worry. They aren't as fast as many other OWs, and don't get very large. The key to keeping OWs is remaining calm in any situation.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
I'm a bit confused here. You don't want to sell or get rid of the tarantula, yet you pretty much openly admitted that it's beyond your comfort level. Now not to sound pessimistic in any way here, but that's often a rather bad sign. I mean you really shouldn't have to feel overwhelmed by or afraid of an animal that you are caring for. What about when it comes time to rehouse it? I suppose at this point we can only hope for the best and trust that should anything go wrong that you are able to remain calm throughout. If the thing is really too much for you to deal with, I would advise just giving it away. I know you said you don't want to, and it ultimately is up to you, but it could always be for the best. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Chubbs usually has some pretty good advice if you can take a thoughtful lecture.

Latest posts