• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What happens once MM goes 100% bald?

goldenpumpkin

I've now had my mature male, Benny, for just shy of 2 years! \( ⁀▽⁀ )/He was already mature when I got him, and for about the past year or so he's been very slowly and gradually losing more and more hairs, which is to be expected of course, but now that the top of his abdomen is getting pretty close to being completely hairless, it raised the question-- what happens when a mature male tarantula has no urticating setae left to defend himself with? I realize that many MMs don't live long enough to even reach that point, but for the ones that do...

Are they aware of it? As in, do they realize there's nothing left to kick, and so just consciously stop kicking? If so, will they then rely more on just threat posing, tapping, and biting as their primary defenses? I am curious as to both how this will affect my MM's temperament, as well as how it would affect a wild tarantula. (if wild mature males even live that long.)

I'd love to hear any observations from tarantula keepers more experienced with this than myself. Thank you!

Latest posts